Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Giraffe Calf Due This Year:

There's an article here with further information on Forrest's height record:

Meet the mighty Forest – he's officially the world's tallest giraffe

Apparently giraffes grow continuously throughout their life, so it'll be interesting to see what height he finally reaches.

The article also mentions they're expecting a new calf.

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe Taronga Zoo thought their male, Jimiyu was the tallest Giraffe not long ago. It will be interesting to see how much smaller he is compared to Forrest.

Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just gonna drop the big news here, whilst not directly about the zoo, it pertains to the zoo.....

Bindi and Chandler are expecting their first child!

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Red-necked Wallaby?

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  5. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well if they let its neck exposed to the sun for a longer period of time, then it most certainly will be red

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pah, it doesn't pertain to the zoo at all. Its like commenting "wow! the assistant curator of the San Diego Zoo is expecting a child". Or "wow! Zoo Miami's collection manager just popped out baby #2".

Don't get me wrong, I love the Irwins, but I have my doubts about how much Bindi and her husband are actually involved with the zoo's operations, and this pregnancy announcement doesn't really pertain to the zoo itself.

7. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

The Longleat thread contains many posts about the owners which have nothing to do with animals or the park - so this one is not unique. Irrelevant maybe, but not unique...!

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

If your issue is that ZooBinh's "irrelevant" post is wasting other peoples time, I just want to make you aware that by responding you just did precisely the same thing. ;)

akasha, Jungle Man and Yoshistar888 like this.
  9. Zoofan15

I (like most people) interpreted it as a pertinent reminder to another member of what constitutes as news; and what does not.

If one clicks on a zoo's news thread because they see there is a new post; one would expect to read news about that zoo - not something as irrelevant as the reproductive status of a staff member.

The likes say it all - eight people and counting agree with the point @Hyak_II made. :p

Jambo, marmolady, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  10. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Objection!

The perception of if something is relevant to a thread is entirely subjective, thus it deems your point invalid. The defendant posted the news for those that would have liked it, thus cannot be guilty of the crime.

(Okay i'll stop pretending to be Phoenix Wright :p:p:p)

SpinyLiving likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

By going on that argument - one could post that the café had a new coffee machine, if they enjoyed a coffee while visiting Australia Zoo.

Yes opinions are subjective; but as we have identified within this thread, a consensus can generally be reached about what qualifies as news on ZooChat and what does not. Usually we get it right. :)

12. toothlessjaws

Sure, except for the obvious: Australia Zoo is as much a theme park based around the Irwin family as it is a zoo. The zoos primary revenue is derived form the families television and media business'.

Bindi is a bit more than just a "staff member"....

13. Zoofan15

Many zoos on here are mashed with a theme park - Dreamworld etc. But do you see us discussing the ride schedules in the zoo news threads?

And indeed Bindi is. But again, is a zoo news thread a place to chronicle the lives of our favourite celebrities?

Zorro likes this.
  14. toothlessjaws

No, because unlike Dreamworlds ride schedules, Zoo Miamis Collection Manager and Australia Zoos coffee machine - Bindi's pregnancy has been reported in major media outlets all around the world. As news:

Bindi Irwin is pregnant with her first child with new husband Chandler Powell

Bindi Irwin, 22, pregnant with first child 14 yrs after death of dad

Bindi Irwin Is Pregnant And Fans Are Convinced She’ll Name The Baby Steve

Bindi Irwin Expecting First Child With Husband Chandler Powell: “Baby Wildlife Warrior Due 2021”

So surely, regardless of your interest in the Irwin family, its worthy of being shared in a thread titled: AUSTRALIA ZOO NEWS.

Marcel and Yoshistar888 like this.
  15. Zoofan15

I could pull up any number of news articles about Fiona the hippo celebrating her birthday (that for some reason or another made headline news around the world), but is the birthday of a zoo animal (or the pregnancy of someone who cares for them) newsworthy on zoo news thread? No....

Some of us actually had this debate on here a few years back; and I created the minor news thread for such things. I (and everyone else) stopped updating it after a while, as we learnt nobody cared about the stuff getting posted in there.

You seem pretty interested in talking about Bindi Iriwn’s pregnancy, so why not create a thread in the zoo cafe?

16. toothlessjaws

Not in the slightest bit interested. But that doesn't mean I feel the right to ostracise others members who might. Or tell them to go talk elsewhere. Especially given I'm not a moderator.....

17. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

So According to Australia Zoo's Website The Cheetahs will Be on Display in 2021 Along with The Sumatran Elephants

18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So the Cheetahs will have their own exhibit then?

19. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: 16 Aug 2020
    Jambo, marmolady and Zorro like this.
  20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not forgetting the Black and White Ruffed lemurs are also not on display