Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel that things were on track to expand in three stages under Steve's watch they also had stated on their website a few years ago that they wanted to build the worlds largest Gorillas exhibit (now removed) which I believe would of happened if Steve were around but since he had passed away they are still stuck in stage one!

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I came across this while researching tigers in our region:

Untitled Document

We have set aside 100 acres out the back to build a multi-million dollar tiger facility which will be the largest in the world.” - Steve Irwin (2004)

It’s a shame this never happened either.

Jambo and Zorro like this.
  3. Zorro

I remember him saying on the tv that he wanted to have a number of sub species of tiger at the zoo and also a number of Lemur species, So much for the zoo saying about carrying on his dream!

Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.
  4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

They have two lemur species and two tiger subspecies*. The only two of each that are managed/maintained in the region.

*Indian hybrids, yes.

Jambo likes this.
  5. toothlessjaws

Because he died. And they would now make a fraction of the money they used to.

6. Zorro

Correct but I heard what was stated at the time on tv, he may of had other plans but now we will never know!

7. Zorro

Perhaps but it appears they have money to put into other projects at the park just not new exhibits!

8. toothlessjaws

They get a lot of government grants. As this latest venture seems to imply by the headline. From my perspective Australia Zoo absolutely always was a very commercial venture as much or more about the Steve and the Irwin family brand than anything else. Focusing on this was what allowed what was really a modest native animal and reptile park to give the impression of perhaps being more than it was. But it was also what made them so vulnerable after Steve died.

Personally, none of it was of my taste. I respected Steve Irwin for his success but never his style or politics (which seemed contradictory to me). But nonetheless, I find the criticisms of the zoo post-Steve kinda unfair. The point I was trying to make with the Sumatran rhino was Steve Irwin appeared to have a lot of big dreams. And whilst I have no doubt much much more would have been achieved had he lived, its wrong to assume all of them would have come to fruition.

In my opinion, rather than criticise the approach Terri has taken over the last 12 or so years, I actually think Australia Zoo has done a great job of maintaining precisely what has always been its strength: seeming bigger than they really are.

Goura and Jambo like this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I visited Australia Zoo today and wondered why there were so many cameras and media attention ... now I know why.

Australia Zoo has just announced that a Sumatran tiger cub was born to mother ‘Kaitlyn’. The male cub has been named ‘Nelson’ and was born earlier this month.
    Video | news.com.au — Australia’s #1 news site

Last edited: 28 Jun 2019
    Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is Nelson's father Satu? Assuming that was the reason why his departure to Ballarat was delayed until March? (Maneki had moved in December)

11. Zoofan15

I’m not sure, but Satu was sent to Ballarat Wildlife Park in February; while Kaitlyn gave birth earlier this month, meaning the cub was conceived mid February. Given Kaitlyn previously lost a litter around 6-8 weeks into the pregnancy, I think they would have waited at least another month before exporting Satu (and that’s all assuming there was time to confirm the pregnancy before Satu left the same month).

I hope you’re right though, as Kaitlyn’s last litter was sired by Juma (who comes from an extensively represented line) and Satu’s genetics are less represented in the region.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Zoofan15

My mistake. I found an article dated March that said Satu ‘arrived late...’ (wouldn’t let me read the rest of the article). I wrongly assumed they meant month. Still cutting it fine though imo.

14. WhistlingKite24

Australia Zoo has welcomed a male giraffe calf (no mention of his mother). The calf has been named ‘Noodle’.........o_O
    Security Check
    I believe that ‘Noodle’ is Australia Zoo’s tenth giraffe calf, with seven females (Skye, Tulip, Lily, Ellie, Gigi, Scarlett and Sophie) and three males (Sunny, Billy and Noodle) having been born at the zoo so far.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2019
    Zoofan15, TinoPup and Jambo like this.
  15. Zoofan15

Forrest (Australia Zoo's breeding bull) is becoming very well represented! He is the only one of his mother's four surviving calves (Forrest, Nakuru, Shira and Zuri) to produce offspring to date; though two of her daughters (Shira and Zuri) have recently been provided with mates at Orana Wildlife Park and Wellington Zoo respectively. Forrest's mother in turn, is the only one of her mother's three surviving offspring (Ndoki, Rukiya and Zahara) to breed; the other two never will due to age and reproductive issues.

Tisa (1990) > Rukiya (2001) > Forrest (2007)

I really don't rate Australia Zoo's choice of names for just about anything they breed however; 'Noodle' is a new low.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2019
    Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

As mentioned in the video below, Nelson’s father is ‘Ranu’ (was hoping for Satu to be honest).

Nelson is now on display in the tiger cub enclosure, which is next to the Tiger Temple area for the adult tigers.

17. Zoofan15

That means that all three of Kaitlyn's litters have had different sires:

1.0 Clarence (Born 22/08/2013 at Australia Zoo) Ramalon x Kaitlyn
    1.0 Hunter (Born 22/08/2013 at Australia Zoo) Ramalon x Kaitlyn

1.0 Scout (Born 08/02/2016 at Australia Zoo) Juma x Kaitlyn
    0.1 Delilah (Born 08/02/2016 at Australia Zoo) Juma x Kaitlyn

1.0 Nelson (Born 00/06/2019 at Australia Zoo) Ranu x Kaitlyn

Since Ranu is a littermate of Juma (who Kaitlyn already has two cubs by); it is surprising they would choose to breed with him as oppose to Satu. I suppose the same result could be achieved by breeding Satu with Maneki again at Ballarat however (since Kaitlyn and Maneki are littermates). Given that Kaitlyn has eight living descendants; and Mankei only has one, Maneki is slightly more valuable genetically.

18. WhistlingKite24

19. Zoofan15

I think Jimmy Fallon should have been relieved of his calf naming duties. 'Chama' (Swahili for party) would have been better.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

A few bits and pieces regarding Australia Zoo.
    Australia Zoo received a new male cassowary who has been named, ‘Kevin’:rolleyes:. According the the zoo, they have now have two cassowaries.
    Australia Zoo has welcomed a new male cassowary, called Kevin!
    In other news, Australia Zoo now has two new male zebra called ‘Lucas’ and ‘Spartacus’.
    PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.
    Their original zebra from Werribee (Steve, Zac and Michael) and their other male (Zambezi) from the National Zoo have all since passed away.
    After some digging around, Lucas arrived in 2017 and Spartacus arrived this year.
    Any ideas from where these two new zebra came from?

Jambo and TinoPup like this.