Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo's Africa

Discussion in 'Australia' started by headkeeper, 22 Sep 2011.

1. headkeeper

headkeeper Member

So has anyone been yet? what do we think? Does it rival other free range parks? tell us all about it: pros and cons etc.
    :)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

It's not really "free range" as such - it's just a very large enclosure with Southern White Rhino, Giraffe, and Zebra in together, plus another separate enclosure for Cheetah.

I haven't visited it yet - only seen what's on their website.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Animal man

Hi guys, visited the new Africa display yesterday. As a regular visitor and fan of Australia Zoo I was disappointed! It seems they rushed to get it open for the holidays, it just seemed unfinished and not up to the zoo s usual standard! Beautiful Rhino baby and lovely giraffes and zebras. But just one large open enclosure no interaction and cheetahs walked in separate area. Take your binoculars if you want to see animals up close.(if they fit some I m sure Terri will make them coin operated $2 for sure!)
    Does nt link up with rest of the zoo and flows badly with Madagascar island looking a long way from finished! I truly hope they stop trying to make money and get back to providing an animal experience that Steve did with such ease and value!!! Such a shame it just seems to be money driven and less educational than ever? The food is the worst I ve ever had and extremely expensive! Management have lost direction without the Croc Hunter s vision.

4. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new female giraffe from Dubbo will be joining the Australia Zoo herd soon.

5. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

The giraffe has arrived, and in the traditional Swahili language, has been named 'Sally' :rolleyes:

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

which one was it?

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  7. Jabiru96

The new female from Dubbo

8. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think "Sally" is from Monarto, and Kitoto will be arriving from Dubbo.

9. Jabiru96

Oh, I didn't know that. So that means after these females arrive Australia Zoo will have 1.4.

10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just realised that Australia Zoo's Africa exhibit is a significant milestone. Why, you ask? Because now that the rhinos, giraffes and cheetah are on display, there are now more exotic mammals on display at the zoo than there are gift shops! Bravo!

11. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Thanks Kelvin, that's the info I was after.

12. Jabiru96

Australia Zoo now have 4.0 zebra after Zambezi, a former breeding animal, arrived from National Soo and Aquarium. He is on display in 'Africa' but is quite solitary.

Also, does anyone know if 'Kitoto' is going to arrive in the future?

13. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any chance of lions

14. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

This has to be one of the most disappointing African exhibits in a zoos history. No primates, antelope, birds (land or free flight); only 4 very mainstream animals. Very, very geared towards getting money and not towards education. No cool, new animals that the average visitor wouldn't have seen before. Can they at least put an impala or crowned crane in the exhibit?

15. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume you don't know the constraints that Australian zoos work within.

Impala or crowned cranes wouldn't be "at least" species here. They would be hop-on-a-plane-go-see-'em species.

16. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Australia Zoo but to add to and clarify CGSwans' comments, there are no cranes, hornbills, storks (other than brolga and black-necked stork) and only one flamingo in Australia. Basically leaves you with guinea fowl. Exotic birds cannot be imported into Australia due to strict biosecurity regulations. For the same reason, there are very few antelope species available to Australian zoos - and from savannah areas basically only eland and waterbuck.

You have a point with primates though.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

following on from the last two comments, for birds as well as the domestic guineafowl noted by Shirokuma you could add Egyptian geese and ostrich (the last one should be an obvious inclusion for them to make, one would think). There are a lot of African waxbills, weavers and small parrots available but I can't imagine Australia Zoo being interested in including aviaries for such birds.

For mammals there are few other "large animal" options although common hippo would be nice in a separate enclosure. For large animals which could be mixed with the current hooved stock you've really only got eland and waterbuck. (Addax and scimitar-horned oryx are in substantial numbers in Australia but wouldn't fit the savannah theme, although I doubt that would concern Australia Zoo).

Other African mammals which could be available for them would be lion (seems obvious), and some primates (basically Hamadryas baboons and chimps, maybe colobus).

All in all, for an Australian zoo creating an African savannah exhibit rhino, giraffe, zebra and cheetah is a good set. It is really just missing lions, with an antelope and ostrich to round it out.