Join our zoo community

Australian (and NZ) Great Ape News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marmolady, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This week, two of the oldest chimpanzees in the region celebrate birthdays - Sally at Hamilton Zoo turns 50 today; Cassius at Rockhampton Zoo turned 49 yesterday.

The ten oldest chimpanzees in the region are as follows:

0.1 Spitter - 01/07/1960 Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Sally - 19/10/1970 Hamilton Zoo
    1.0 Cassius - 18/10/1971 Rockhampton Zoo
    0.1 Lucy - 24/11/1975 Hamilton Zoo
    0.1 Jessie - 10/07/1978 Wellington Zoo
    1.0 Boyd - 29/10/1978 Monarto Zoo
    0.1 Lisa - 23/08/1979 Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Sacha - 1/06/1980 Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Shiba - 22/05/1981 Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Cara - 10/09/1981 Wellington Zoo

This article notes that Sally enjoys spending time with the juvenile, Chiku. Sally (who also enjoys interacting with young visitors at the viewing window), took on a surrogate mother role to Sanda, when her mother died in 2012.

Sally never bred due to her handraised background/humanisation, which made her uncooperative with attempts by the males to mate with her; but she no doubt would have made an excellent mother.

Chimp raised among children after being rejected at birth hits the big Five O at Hamilton Zoo

Tafin, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Sanda the Chimpanzee is Pregnant

The chimpanzee baby boom in the region continues with the news Hamilton Zoo are expecting a infant in the next few weeks:

Hamilton Zoo's chimpanzee troop is expecting a new baby

This will be Sanda's third infant. She previously gave birth to Mosi (1993-1993) at Adelaide Zoo; and Chiku (2016) at Hamilton Zoo.

This follows on from an exciting string of 1.7 infants born over the last four years: Chiku (2016) at Hamilton Zoo; Cebele (2017), Safiri (2019) and Baby N (2020) at Taronga Zoo; Capri (2018) and Gandali (2020) at Rockhampton Zoo; and Hope (2019) and Zola (2019) at Monarto Zoo.

Jambo, marmolady, Tafin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for another female!

Zorro likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

I'm of the opinion a male infant would be better - at least for Sanda; as a female infant would likely leave the zoo.

Lucifer (1988) and Luka (1993) could potentially live another 20-30 years; and since the introduction of unrelated males will not be possible in that time, any female infants will have to be sent to another zoo to breed; or placed on contraception into at least their 20's/30's.

If Sanda has a male infant, he could be retained; and new females added down the line. New females would also find immigrating into the troop easier if the bulk of the troop didn't comprise of a mother and her two adolescent/adult daughters, who would form a close knit alliance.

marmolady and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would you believe there are enough groups within the region to keep a regional breeding program going long term?
    Also having Sydney zoos new troop should add some new bloodlines to the region!

Last edited: 3 Dec 2020
  6. Zoofan15

Definitely! The long inter-generational gaps mean there is enough genetic diversity to sustain the regional population for well over half a century. The seven female infants born between 2017 and 2020 (as well as Zuri, born 2012) will provide many opportunities for exchanges a decade from now, when they are at the natural age of dispersal.

Capri (2017) - Alon x Leakey; and Hope (Tsotsi x Hannah) are genetically, the most valuable infants, as their parents are poorly represented - either because they are founders; or have few other relatives (Tsotsi).

I imagine Wellington Zoo, who have been inbreeding for a few generations, will be first on the list for receiving unrelated females from the above mentioned cohort; while Taronga Zoo would also benefit from new females a decade from now as most of their current females will be getting on in their years. In both cases, the introduction of a new female would be more successful if she's accompanied by at least one other female.

Zorro likes this.
  7. Zorro

Just to add I am more than happy that Rockhampton zoo is making such a succuss of its group which points well as another holder/breeding group in to the future!

8. Zoofan15

Rockhampton showed great initiative in importing a male and female from Rahmet Gan Safari Park in Israel. In addition to this pair (Alon and Leakey), they also have Samantha - who is one of the most valuable captive chimpanzees in the world. Samantha was born to wild born parents and is their only living offspring. If she can successfully breed with Alon (a founder), that would be fantastic news for the region.

Zorro likes this.
  9. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would strongly disagree that Samantha is one of the most valuable captive chimpanzees in the world unless her subspecies makeup is determined— any offspring of hers with Alon would be hybrids anyway. I see the chimpanzees being managed on the subspecific level to have more genetic value than the Australasian population generally. I can’t see much long term conservation value to hybrids, considering there has long been talk of P.t.verus being distinct enough that it could be recognised as a separate species in years to come. Within Australasia, Samantha’s extremely genetically valuable, but on a world scale, not so much.

I would put money on Zola being sired by Tsotsi— she looks very much like him and his relatives.

10. Zoofan15

I stand corrected - it would indeed have been more accurate to say Samantha is the most genetically valuable chimpanzee within Australasia, where we care not for maintaining purebred lines and happily hybridise everything.

On that note, I would be fascinated to know the genetic makeup of the chimpanzees in the region. It's entirely possible there are at least a couple more purebreds, besides Galatea at Monarto.

Sally at Hamilton Zoo was born in 1970 to two wild born parents, who were wild caught at the same time (likely from the same troop); and therefore is likely a purebred herself.

marmolady likes this.
  11. marmolady

I'd say Samantha and Galatea would be equally most genetically valuable within the region, as both have no relatives in Australasia. I'm still very much hoping that someday they'll both have successful births.

It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Sally or Samantha (Rockhampton) were of a pure subspecies. Obviously, the further from the wild generation we go, the less likely.

Some of the Taronga lines (Lisa, Spitter) have some phenotypic resemblance to P.t.verus to my eye, while most of the Wellington chimps look very much hybrids.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Chimpanzee infant born at Taronga to female Naomi has been named Niambi. Quite a nice name.
    Source: Taronga Zoo's Facebook page

13. Zoofan15

It can be difficult to compare to photos of wild chimpanzees, as the ones we have in captivity reach ages their wild counterparts can only dream of; but here’s a photo of Spitter in her prime if that helps: One of the newest additions at Taronga Park is 1-month-old baby... News Photo - Getty Images

Boyd and Marty are at least 3/4 purebred. Their father, Tom (1950-1990) was born in the wild (purebred). He sired a daughter, Bebe (1962-2003), who was at least half purebred; making her offspring with her father at least 3/4 purebred.

If Tom and Yoka (Bebe’s mother) were of the same subspecies, not only would Boyd and Marty be purebred; but then so too would be Jessie (1978) and Gombe (1993). Hopefully they’re not, as Boyd, Marty and Gombe were all vasectomised!

14. marmolady

Not just wild chimpanzees; there are many pure subspecies chimpanzees in captivity-- including many of advanced ages. At any rate, plenty of wild chimpanzees have reached impressive ages comparable to their captive counterparts; the average is actually pretty similar (33 years for wild chimps, and 32.5 for captive males and 40.1 for females).

It's interesting to think; Boyd and Marty don't look much like any other chimpanzees I know. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of them when they were younger; I find the phenotypic differences are much more obvious in immature chimps. Now I'm curious! I don't suppose it matters if they are or not, as the regional programme doesn't care!

These chimps look like P.t.verus, with the typical facial 'mask' over the eyes and a relatively flat muzzle and brow compared to P.t.troglodytes. https://www.facebook.com/wellingtonmuseum/photos/pcb.10158866248539739/10158866248179739/

15. Zorro

@marmolady Has there been any updates with regards to the Bili Chimps?,I found a limited amount of infomation about them but not that much. Has any DNA work been done of this group?

16. Zoofan15

Boyd and Marty certainly have a unique look and it’s been passed to their offspring - especially Gombe. I could also see Boyd in his now deceased daughter, Chima.

The eldest chimp in that photo is Breena - one of the original tea party chimps. She’s nursing her daughter, Dorne; while the other two juveniles are Pat (son of Molly) and June (daughter of Yoka).

Molly, Yoka and Breena arrived together via an animal dealer and were likely caught from the same area (or even the same troop). That means Yoka was most probably P.t.verus (and possibly Tom was too if you think those two first generation juveniles look like purebred P.t.verus).

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has the visuals on chimp individuals and current stock down the line you mentioned been corroborated by science based genetics evidence?

18. Zoofan15

Neither Hamilton Zoo or Wellington have undertaken genetic testing for the purpose of ascertaining if any of their chimpanzees are purebreds. The testing would be costly and given that the results would have no practical application (the species isn’t managed at subspecies level), there is no justification for investing in testing, other than for personal interest.

For the same reason, paternity testing is only carried out on surviving infants, so it can be recorded in the studbook and used in future decision making. It’s a shame as when there have been non surviving infants at a zoo like Taronga (with multiple males), it’d be interesting to know which of the males was the sire - irregardless of whether the infant survived.

Jambo and marmolady like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I get where this is coming from. But if we do not use the best science to manage our animal collections and the individual species we manage, there is no value in an ex situ program. We should be prepared to use the financial means at our disposal and create partnerships with the wider science community to do all this. It is a win win situation for all involved and it will work in more ways than just 2's.

One would have to question also how genetic admixing has and will affect the genetic health of the population as the various ssp. have evolved over geological timeframes for various and definite biotic and abiotic reasons. We should strive to replicate the natural world in this.

And second, we owe it to the populations of individually distinct ssp. of wild chimpanzees to look critically at what we manage in zoos. The African Great Ape network is actually overrun with problem chimps and in all fairness zoos could make a real effort here to secure pure-bred bloodlines ex situ in conservation breeding programs and away from the genetic dead end that ex situ sanctuaries are (these should endeavour to bring back chimpanzees to individual source populations on the basis of genetics and in verified reintroduction efforts using the IUCN guidelines on reintroduction and ecosystem restoration).

Zorro likes this.
  20. marmolady

Galatea is Pan troglodytes verus, ascertained by genetic testing of her parents. All others are a case of guesswork unless the region decides to follow the European example of managing on a subspecies level. With all the recent imports (bar Galatea) being confirmed hybrids-- which is why they were surplus in Europe-- I can't see that happening.

I can't foresee chimpanzees being released into the wild from zoos. There are literally hundreds of pure subspecies individuals in range sanctuaries that would be released first if it were ever possible. The conservation value of chimpanzees in zoos, for the foreseeable, is as educational ambassadors. The EEP is breeding chimps of pure subspecies with potential reintroduction in mind, so you never know. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Zorro likes this.