Join our zoo community

Australian (and NZ) Great Ape News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marmolady, 29 Apr 2016.

1. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Oh yes sorry.

BennettL

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Devastating news regarding the death of Karta and her infant. It appears this whole saga has been a tragedy of errors, with the cause of death of her previous infants only being recently discovered, and a solution found, only for it to prove too late.

I'm guessing at 42, Puspa is now too old to breed but hopefully a new mate will be found for Kluet. Maybe Pulang (1993) from Perth Zoo. She is a full sister to Puspa and one of the few orangutans Perth Zoo are able to export if they wish to continue breeding from the four lines they are currently maintaining.

I have written an analysis of the Perth Zoo orangutan colony here for the purpose of identifying those likely for export: Auckland Zoo - orangutans

Tafin likes this.
  3. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is so sad to think that things might have been different if the cause of Karta's troubles had been discovered years ago. I visited Adelaide Zoo today, and Kluet was using the exhibit, though he had access indoors.

As Puspa has only had one successful birth and is now not a young orangutan, I'd be very surprised if she bred. Pulang would be an option, but not unless it was several years into the future as she has Lestari with her- or they could both come over together. While I understand the desire to keep matrilineal lines within the zoo's colony, Kluet would be a more valuable partner than would Hsing Hsing or Dinar.

4. marmolady

Sumatran orangutan Negara (daughter of Punya) has left Perth Zoo and joined a young male, Elok, at Oklahoma City Zoo. I guess she won't be an option for Adelaide then!
    Oklahoma City Zoo welcomes new orangutan

Tafin likes this.
  5. marmolady

There has been yet another tragic ape loss. Nine-year-old chimpanzee Beni has passed away at Wellington Zoo after failing to recover from an injury. Just devastating, both for his chimpanzee community and those who care for them. The Wellington group has suffered so much loss in recent years... I can't believe they're going through it again.

Tafin likes this.
  6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Beni

Tafin, marmolady and zooboy28 like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Such sad news, especially for his mother Sally (1985), who has now lost five of her six offspring over the years and for Wellington Zoo, who have now lost four chimpanzees in 22 months :(
    Sally still has her youngest offspring, Bakari (2012).

Tafin likes this.
  8. marmolady

I was thinking that too, that poor Sally has had such a run of bad luck. I really feel for the Wellington chimp keepers; the past couple of years have been tough on them.

9. marmolady

10. Zoofan15

Sadly, with Beni’s death, the chance to breed Cara (1981) has now been lost as now the only viable male in the troop of reproductive age is her son Alexis (1998). Marty (1987) was vasectomised several years ago and Bakari (2012) and Kitwe (2014) are too young to sire offspring. Cara has had four offspring between 1994 and 2003 (two died as infants) and with the death of her adult daughter Chima (1994) in 2015, Alexis is now her descendant.

It’s a mystery to me why Cara has not been bred again, as Samantha (daughter of Sutu) and Sally (daughter of Spitter) are well represented by their maternal lines. Cara (daughter of Chiki) has lost her entire family, except for her son Alexis.

Had Cara have been bred from again 2004 onwards she would have had the option of breeding with:

Boyd (until 2009)
    Marty (until 2009)
    Gombe (until 2009)
    Temba (until 2015)
    Sam (until 2016)
    Beni (until 2017)*

*Note: Beni was not of reproductive age until 2015

Now Alexis is her only option until Bakari reaches reproductive age around 2020, by which time Cara will be almost post reproductive, and the chance of her producing a surviving infant almost impossible (survival of chimpanzee infants to maturity is extremely low past the mother’s age of 35 years).

I’m not sure where Wellington will head with this now as Alexis is closely related to Keza (their fathers are full brothers), so the only options for breeding are Samantha, Sally and Malika (all three are also related to Alexis but not as closely). Beni’s death could prove the catalyst for some major changes in the near future if Wellington Zoo want to keep breeding.

Tafin likes this.
  11. marmolady

That is a very unfortunate situation. It definitely sounds like some sort of shake up will need to happen for breeding to continue.

12. Zoofan15

One option could be a switch between the Hamilton and Wellington Zoos:

The following restrictions would apply:

Hamilton:

Sally (1970) – hand raised female that is highly people oriented and generally fearful of males. Should probably stay with troop at Hamilton as she is close to Lucy and Sanda and unlikely to adjust well to a new troop

Lucy (1975) – now post reproductive so should stay with her two sons, Lucifer and Luka, as a transfer would be highly stressful and would remove all of Lucy’s family support

Sanda (1985) – has a young daughter aged 1 year of age. Should not be transferred to a new group with unfamiliar adult males

In short, no chimpanzees should be removed from this group and no adult males should be added.

Wellington:

Jessie (1978) – hand raised female that is high ranking in the current troop. Should remain with the Wellington troop as she is almost of post reproductive age, unlikely to breed again and due to her forceful nature, would certainly clash with Luka, who can be highly aggressive when threatened

Cara (1981) – could be transferred to Hamilton if desired for breeding as the only reproductive male at Wellington is her son. Alternatively, could stay at Wellington Zoo and be retired from breeding

Samantha (1983) – could be transferred to Hamilton for breeding as is still of reproductive age and has no dependent offspring

Sally (1985) – has a young son aged 5 years. Should not be transferred to a new group with unfamiliar adult males

Keza (1998) – has a young son aged 3 years. Should not be transferred to a new group with unfamiliar adult males

Malika (2010) – could be transferred to Hamilton for breeding as is fast approaching reproductive age and has no offspring

In short, Samantha and Malika are both strong candidates for relocation as they are mother and daughter (have each other for support) and Samantha’s remaining offspring at Wellington (Keza), has a son for family support. The balance here is waiting until Malika is of sufficient age for relocation/introduction to the Hamilton troop, while not leaving it so long that Samantha (who turns 34 this year) is too old to reproduce successfully. 2018 could be a good compromise. In my opinion, Cara should remain at Wellington Zoo. They have not bred from her in 14 years so it seems pointless to suddenly relocate her now for breeding, which may not be successful, at the expense of separating her from her only source of family support. Her genes can be passed on by breeding her son Alexis, who will be the only breeding male for at least the next three years. Wellington Zoo should import the two young females, Lani and Sembe, from the Taronga Zoo to breed with Alexis.

This would give the two zoos the following chimpanzee:

Hamilton Zoo:

Males:

Lucifer (1988)
    Luka (1993)

Females:

Sally (1970)
    Lucy (1975)
    Sanda (1985) Reproductive
    Samantha (1983) Reproductive
    Malika (2010) Reproductive

Wellington Zoo:

Males:

Marty (1987)
    Alexis (1998)
    Bakari (2012)
    Kitwe (2014)

Females:

Jessie (1978)
    Cara (1981)
    Sally (1985) Reproductive
    Keza (1998) Reproductive
    Lani (2002) Reproductive
    Sembe (2008) Reproductive

Tafin likes this.
  13. marmolady

That's an interesting and well thought out plan; sounds like such a switch around could benefit both groups. Just missing Chiku on the Hamilton list. ;)

14. Zoofan15

Yes, I did forget Chiku (2015), as well as a couple of other things I meant to mention…

The proposed import of Lani (2002) and Sembe (2008) should be delayed for at least another year as I understand both females are currently playing a crucial role in assisting Taronga’s three new females to adjust to their community, which has been a particularly drawn out and complex process, due to the number of chimpanzee involved and the fiery nature of some of their dominant female. Leaving their import until 2018 would give Lani and Sembe time to lend their support to the new females and benefit from the experience of seeing how new females adjust to their community, something they will soon be doing in their own future. This timing would work out well for Wellington as due to Malika’s age (she turns seven this year), it would not be advisable to send her to Hamilton Zoo before 2018 in my opinion, given the personalities of the males in their troop. Samantha (1983) and Malika (2010) could leave as Lani (2002) and Sembe (2008) arrive.

The other thing I forgot to mention is it would be better to have the group I’m proposing for Hamilton at Wellington and the group I’m proposing for Wellington at Hamilton as the plan would provide Wellington with four breeding females (three of which are in their adolescence) and Hamilton with three breeding females (two of which are approaching the end of their reproductive years). Hamilton can accommodate a larger number of chimpanzees so it would make sense for them to hold the group with the increased potential to expand, however this would mean moving 15 chimpanzees (including three infants/juveniles) within New Zealand as oppose to the plan I proposed which involves moving 2 chimpanzees (one adult and one adolescent). On a positive, female offspring produced by the potentially very productive proposed new group at Wellington could supply Hamilton with additional females as their older females retire from breeding.

Tafin likes this.
  15. marmolady

I couldn't see there being such a drastic change around, with regards to switching zoos. Hopefully it won't be too many years before Wellington goes for a chimpanzee exhibit upgrade. There's been a lot of positive developments for chimps in the region in recent years (three relatively new groups/exhibits and the Taronga upgrade), so it almost seems as if Wellington is a little behind. Not sure if they have any plans in that direction though!

I definitely agree with leaving Hannah with what support she does have, especially if she is to stay at Taronga.

Tafin likes this.
  16. marmolady

Update on Monarto chimpanzees:

Gombe and Boyd have been separated from the main group for several weeks, after (along with Tsotsi) they were displaying unwanted negative behaviour towards Sandali, who hasn't quite recovered from previous reintroductions. With the group very unbalanced in terms of sex, it is likely that the two boys will remain out until females can be sourced. I can only hope that it won't be too much longer that we have news in that regard! In the meantime, Gombe and Boyd have mesh access with the main group, and undergo regular short-term introductions to the group (either different individuals put with them, or one or both of them put back with the main group). Thankfully, the exhibit is equipped to handle this situation, with the main indoor space dividable and connected to the smaller outdoor enclosure.

Since the two boys who were putting most pressure on Sandali have been taken out, he has been interacting a lot more with the infants. Until this month, I had never seen him playing with Zuri or Enzi, but now he seems a great deal more interested in them. Perhaps because he does not feel the need to be as focused on the male politics side of things.

I do wonder if Samantha and Malika moving to Monarto together could be an option? Dependent of course, on whether Wellington wants to keep them, and when Malika is mature enough for such a change. She would have a potential playmate in Zuri who is close in age, which could prove to be a positive for them both if a friendship is formed.

Tafin likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

That sounds like a great idea. I recently proposed moving Lani and Sembe to Wellington Zoo in the next year or so, and sending Samantha and Malika to Hamilton Zoo, who are also needing females to boost their numbers. I think Monarto have since become a greater priority for needing new females though for the reasons you mention. Both zoos need females to increase their communities but Monarto need to address their gender imbalance asap. There's two years between Malika and Zuri isn't there? I think they would get on well.

Interestingly, Boyd and Gombe were exported by Wellington Zoo for the same reason. There were too many males in the group and both were causing problems. Boyd hadn't taken well to being supplanted by his brother as the alpha male, and Gombe was a typical teenage troublemaker.

Tafin likes this.
  18. marmolady

Yes, there are two years between Malika and Zuri, so could be very compatible as playmates. My main concern for that scenario would be prior relationships between Samantha and the ex-Wellington boys could put Sandali in a worse position than he's in now. Sandali needs some measure of support from the females to counter any excessive negative attention he might get from the three other boys.

I think Monarto's male were basically the region's 'rejects', haha! Until now, the four of them have made a very successful unit, so I really hope things will become stable again once the sex ratio has been fixed up. All four of them are very ambitious and none would be content to settle for a position low down in the hierarchy. Some strong characters, that's for sure! They are amazing with the females and infants, in spite of all the political drama.

Tafin likes this.
  19. Zoofan15

Plus Malika and Zuri could both stay on to breed at Monarto (if Sandali is vasectomised down the line to prevent inbreeding with Zuri).

Samantha was never especially close with Boyd; she much prefered Sam and often supported him. Unlike Cara who supported Boyd, and showed loyalty to him as the alpha male.
    None of Samantha's three offspring were fathered by Boyd, although Malika was conceived after his export.

Samantha could however show more loyalty to Gombe, who she'll remember from Wellington and could even latch onto Boyd if she's desperate for support in the face of new chimpanzee, which as you say could tilt the power balance.

Definately agree on the four males being the rejects of the region! Boyd was the cantankerous older male, bitter at being supplanted from his alpha position by his younger brother; Gombe was orphaned after the death of his mother and had no family support in his community and it was always going to be diffciult to place a single male (Tsotsi) into any group with other males. I commend them for trying what I think initially worked well, when there were more females in the group.

It's defiantely a reverse of the situation at Taronga where the large number of females are proving a challenge to introduce. In my opinion, Lani and Sembe are the obvious candidates for export (ideally to Wellington to replace Samantha and Malika), yet I understand they're providing critical support to the new females in the face of strong resistance from the more senior females.

Tafin likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

The Wellington Zoo chimpanzees have been given a small trampoline as enrichment:

Video: Wellington Zoo's adorable young chimpanzee bounces with absolute delight on trampoline

Alexis invests so much time in playing with the younger chimps. He was always great with Beni and has is now the same with Bakari and Kitwe. I can easily see him taking over as the alpha male soon as he reminds me a lot of Lubutu, who also has a gentle nature with infants and is popular amongst the females. It'd be fantastic for his mother, Cara, who is currently the lowest ranking female in Wellington Zoo's community.

Tafin likes this.