Join our zoo community

Australian (and NZ) Great Ape News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marmolady, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Adelaide Zoo's Tribute to Karta (1982-2017)

Karta's Sumatran guard post is complete

As many of you will remember, following Karta the Sumatran Orangutan’s sudden and heartbreaking passing in 2017, we set out to remember her in a very special way.

We thought about traditional memorials like statues or plaques, but also felt we had an opportunity to do something more significant, something that reached far beyond our zoo grounds.
    So, together with Karta’s keepers Jodie and Pij, we came up with
    the ambitious plan of raising $20,000 to fund the construction of a guard post in Karta’s native island of Sumatra.

We aimed to raise the money in one month, but thanks to the incredible support and love of our zoo community, we raised the total amount within 12 hours.

Now, we’re thrilled to announce construction has finished and the guard post built in Karta’s honour is now a reality.

Protecting the rainforest of Bukit Tigapuluh National Park in Sumatra, Indonesia, the building stands on the edge of the park, playing a vital role in the fight against illegal activities such as poaching and logging.

As well as functioning as a guard post, the building will also be used a hub for four rangers, whose main aim is to control access areas leading in and out of the park.

Located only 1km from a major stream which is frequently used to transport the shipment of illegally logged timber, Karta’s guard post is seen as a milestone in fighting illegal logging, forest encroachment and habitat destruction.

Bukit Tigapuluh National Park is home to thousands of fascinating animal and plant species, many of which are sadly threatened with extinction including tigers, elephants and of course, orangutans.

With less than 7,000 Sumatran and Bornean orangutans estimated to be left in the wild, the completion of this guard post has never been more important.

We’re so proud of this guard post, and how it will play a critical role in the protection of local orangutan populations and their habitats for generations to come.

We’d like to thank you, our incredible zoo family, for your help ensuring Karta’s legacy will be forever honoured protecting the forests of Sumatra, and we thank our partner The Orangutan Project for helping us to bring this special project to life.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That really is some sound and great in situ work and achievement.
    Imagine if they could do some more on this one with dear Karta as their ambassador ...?!!!!

3. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

History of Chimpanzees in Adelaide

Pieced together from the limited information available to me. If anyone has any other historical details to include, I'd love to hear.

´30s
    - Michael (m, 1933-1938) and Mary (f, 1933-1936, died of strangulation) imported from Edinburgh in 1934
    -Congo (f, 1938) imported but died several months later in the same manner as did Mary
    ´50s
    - Peter (m, 1953-1994) arrived at Adelaide Zoo from Taronga in 1955
    - I have found images of an adult/adolescent chimpanzee Jacky in 1951, but don't know anything about this chimpanzee
    -I assume that female chimpanzee Leonie was imported around this time- does anyone know?

´60s -
    Percy and William born (m, Peter/Leonie). Does anyone have details of their dates of birth/death?

´70s
    - Fimi/Fanny (1965-2014, born to Moritz/Mausi), and male Toni II (1968-1982, unknown parents) imported from Munich, 1978

´80s
    - Toni II shot dead during escape in 1982
    - Sanda born (f, 1985, Peter/Fimi), Tsotsi born (m, 1989, Peter/Fimi)

'90s
    -Peter dies in 1994, leaving Fimi, Sanda and Tsotsi as Adelaide Zoo group

'00s
    - Fimi and Sanda exported to Hamilton Zoo, 2008
    - Sandali (m, 1996, Snowy/Sacha) imported from Taronga Zoo, 2009
    - Tsotsi and Sandali moved to new exhibit, joined by Boyd (m, 1978, Tom/Bebe) and Gombe (m, 1993, Boyd/Jodie) from Wellington Zoo, 2009

'10s
    - Zombi (f, 1993, Ayo/Zola), Soona (f, 1996, Ayo/Sabra), Galatea (f, 1999, Fons/Gaby), Zwala (f, 1999, Fons/Zaira) imported from Burgers Zoo, Arnhem in 2010
    - ex-Adelaide Fimi dies at Hamilton Zoo, 2012
    - Zuri (f, Sandali/Zombi) born, 2012
    - Soona dies during birth of Boon, who himself dies after two weeks and adoption by Zombi, 2015
    - Enzi (m, Sandali/Zombi) born, 2015
    - ex-Adelaide Sanda produces infant Chiku at Hamilton Zoo, 2016
    - Hannah (f, Andy/Annie, born Belfast) and Lani (f, Lubutu/Lisa) imported from Taronga, 2018

4. marmolady

A friend has posted on Facebook that the Taronga chimpanzee community has now been completely re-introduced. No doubt this is an immense relief to the keepers after such a long and harrowing process. With all chimps integrated (including Hannah at Monarto), and Ceres now raising baby Cebele, ultimately, this has been a success. I am very happy to think that Cebele will have young playmates in the form of Fumo, Sudi and Liwali. I wonder if the zoo will now give a long-awaited public update on the situation.

The following year will be interesting for chimpanzees in Sydney, with the new zoo planning to take on the species, and potential developments in the Taronga hierarchy as the reunited community settles. With all chimps in the region seemingly 'accounted for', it seems likely that SZ will import (or at least plan to).

With regard to Sydney Zoo as well, I wonder if they intend to import gorillas or house males already in the region. The EEP appears to give 'new gorilla zoos' bachelor groups, so I'm guessing they will only have access to boys for the foreseeable future. With Orana to receive Rotterdam male, Nasibu, to head up a family group, I wonder if that will mean Fataki, Fuzu and Mahale will head (back) to Sydney. That seems the most likely option, but I will be curious to see what happens.

Monarto Zoo news:
    Young Enzi has been nursing an injured leg (no wound, potentially a sprain or similar) which is being closely monitored. When I visited on Tuesday, he was avoiding putting weight on it, but was still swinging, running and tumbling around in his usual happy manner.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Reports from Mogo yesterday is that Kibabu has passed away.

:(

Hix

6. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Tafin likes this.
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very sad news :(. Hopefully this paves way for the future of the gorillas at the zoo now. Kipenzi is now 7 years old and entering her breeding years, so an export may be on the cards for her. While her mother, Kriba who is past her breeding age might join Kipenzi at another zoo. I wonder what will be happening with G-Anne though, who lived with Kibabu. I wonder if they will introduce her to Kipenzi and Kriba or export Kriba and Kipenzi and import a companion for her.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2018
    Tafin and StoppableSan like this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

Vale Kibabu: Devastated zookeepers farewell beloved silverback gorilla
    Send via Email
    [​IMG]

Kibabu in his enclosure at Taronga Zoo before retiring to Mogo Zoo on the NSW south coast.

Photo: Anthony Johnson
    A popular silverback gorilla who was a fixture at Taronga Zoo has been remembered for his presence and integrity.

Mogo Zoo on the NSW south coast farewelled silverback gorilla Kibabu on Sunday. He was 41.

[​IMG]
    Mogo Zoo owner Sally Padey said the 41-year-old gorilla had a “powerful presence” .

Photo: Graham Tidy
    In a Facebook post, Mogo Zoo owner Sally Padey said the gorilla, who weighed more than 200 kilograms, had a “powerful presence” and “integrity as a leader and father”.

Kibabu was born in England in 1977 and arrived at Taronga Zoo in the 1990s from the Netherlands. He was retired in August 2013 and and sent to Mogo Zoo, near Batemans Bay, for a quieter life.

Advertisement
    [​IMG]
    Kibabu celebrated his 40th birthday.

Photo: Brendan Esposito
    He came with an entourage - girlfriends Mouila and Kriba, and their offspring Mahali and Kipenzi - as part of a global program to help safeguard his critically endangered species from extinction.

At the time, Kibabu had fathered 14 offspring, and Ms Padey said she was “honoured to be able to house and care for these amazing animals and play an active role in the Global Species Management Plan”.

The western lowland gorilla troupe settled in quickly, and zoo general manager John Appleby said Kibabu was instrumental in easing the transition.

[​IMG]
    Kibabu sits by himself as he keeps an eye on the public at Taronga Zoo in January 2005.

Photo: AP
    On May 22 last year, Kibabu celebrated his 40th birthday. The occasion held extra significance for Gorilla Haven founder Jane Rassmussen-Dewar, who was reunited with the ape after more than 25 years.

Ms Rassmussen-Dewar travelled from Tennessee for the celebrations and recalled Kibabu's legendary status in the global gorilla breeding program. "He's got sons in Japan, grandkids in Prague - he's a legend," she told Fairfax Media.

"There's several gorillas like him that have bred a lot and I like to call them 'stud muffins'. He's a good father, he plays with the kids and is good to the females.

"Just having a gorilla to see how magnificent they are and how smart they are is a real privilege."

Ms Padey said sharing the past five years with Kibabu was “an honour”.

9. WhistlingKite24

Just one of many articles- quite overwhelming how much he was adored and remembered...:(:(:(
    If you search, "Kibabu Mogo Zoo", pages and pages of articles appear.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2018
  10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wouldn't it be easier to just add a new male? The only problem being GAnne who might find this stressful/unworkable..but Kipenzi and Kriba could stay where they are then.

11. marmolady

Very sad to have lost such a beloved and influential character. I hope a happy solution will be found for G-Anne, Kriba and Kipenzi.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe they could import Motoba from Werribee zoo. G-Anne, having previously lived in a social group successfully with Motoba means she may not feel as stressed as she would have been with another new male. He could also be given the chance to breed with Kipenzi which would work well and if they wanted to add more genes into the region then they could also import another younger female.

Tafin likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

I think the most logical step is to import one of the males from Werribee Open Range Zoo, maybe Ganyeka as he is the most valuable genetically and he is G-Anne's son and make a troop at Mogo Zoo consisting of Ganyeka (silverback), G-Anne (non breeding) and Kipenzi (breeding). I would then swap Kriba with Yuska at Melbounre Zoo. Yuska is familiar with both G-Anne and Ganyeka and this would form a decent sized group of 1.3 (with one breeding female) at Mogo Zoo. Kriba could join her daughter at Melbourne Zoo as a non breeding female to keep the number of adult females in this group at two (like it is at the moment). Either of these groups could then be supplemented with an unrealted breeding female from outside the region if space allowed.

Tafin, marmolady, Jambo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that would probably be the best outcome- both for Motaba and G.Anne. Though Ganyeki is the more genetically valuable for breeding given G.Anne has very few relatives. One of those two would be my choice. No other changes( to the females) necessary...

Jambo likes this.
  15. marmolady

Chimpanzee Hannah at Monarto Zoo is pregnant, due around March. I'm thrilled that she has settled so well in her new group.

Tafin, Jambo, Zoofan15 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Zoofan15

Hopefully we'll see an infant from Galatea next year as well; and possibly Zombi....

Fingers crossed for a successful birth from Hannah as this will be her first.

Tafin likes this.
  17. marmolady

Sydney Zoo has built housing for chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, so it seems those species are confirmed for the collection. I am extremely curious as to which apes will be taking up residence in the new zoo, especially with regards to chimpanzees, as there are not many options within the region. My assumption is that a group of non-subspecific individuals will be imported from Europe.

Gorilla-wise, I think it most likely that the three Orana boys (Fataki, Fuzu, Mahale- ex. Taronga) will go to Sydney, as it had been announced that Orana will be creating a family group headed up by Nasibu from Rotterdam. As the EEP seems to introduce new zoos to the species with a bachelor group I don't expect a second family group will be exported to the region.

In the case of orangutans, I am not sure. Melbourne's Malu could potentially be moved to Sydney as a breeding male, as he is currently living with the two hybrid females Kiani and Gabby. The only potentially eligible females within the region would be those in Perth. Perhaps Pulang will be moved along with daughter Lestari? Otherwise perhaps Puteri daughter Teliti, who is now nine years of age- unless it is planned for her to follow after her sister, Temara, and be a part of the release programme? An other option might be for Sydney Zoo to house the Kiani and Gabby, and Melbourne import females to breed with Malu.

Tafin, Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  18. Zoofan15

I fully agree that the three bachelor males from Orana are the most likely option as there doesn't seem to be a lot of space at the new Sydney Zoo and a new holder wouldn't be given the privilege of a breeding group.

Chimpanzees, I'd guess new imports from Europe. Taronga Zoo's community are quite settled now and most of the females only have one-two offspring each.

Orangutans. This could go just about anyway since Auckland Zoo and Orana Wildlife Park are going to be importing Sumatran orangutans in the near future.

I predict the Perth Zoo will be exporting Pulang (born 1993) and her daughter Lestari (born 2012) and continuing breeding with Sekara (1990) and Teliti (2009) to their male Dinar (1987). This is based on the fact that the first generation of Perth Zoo's orang-utans (Puan's daughters) were all bred to Hsing Hsing. Pulang is the youngest daughter and can no longer breed with Hsing Hsing now he is deceased; and her branch is essentially playing catch up to her sister's branches, who already have adult/adolescent offspring capable of breeding with Dinar (Pulang does not).

Where Pulang and Lestari go is anyone's guess but I'd imagine Auckland, Orana and Adelaide will all be higher ranking candidates for holding breeding groups of Sumatran orangutans than the Sydney Zoo. Maybe the Sydney Zoo will hold the hybrids - Wanita (1979), Willow (1985) and Jantan (1987). Wanita (currently at Orana) and Willow (currently at Mogo) are sisters and could likely be integrated. Wanita is not highly bonded with the purebred Borneans, Charlie and Melur. She wouldn't miss them, nor they her. Melur (and possibly Charlie) will be exported outside of the region for breeding I think in the near future.

Tafin, Jambo and marmolady like this.
  19. Zoofan15

Wellington Zoo’s Chimpanzee

Update:

The hierarchy has remained constant over the last year with Alexis firmly in place as the alpha male, and Marty content to sit back and enjoy ‘retirement.’ Marty remains a high ranking member of the troop but now spends more time on the periphery and less time involved in chimpanzee politics.

Jessie was the highest ranking female for many years, as she was a supporter of previous alpha males Boyd and Marty. Since Alexis took over as alpha male, only Sally (the king maker) has been able to supplant her from this position. Staff said Jessie is essentially on the periphery (like Marty) but as soon as any of the females make any move to suggest they are higher ranking than Jessie, she throws a tantrum and they invariably back down.

Cara is enjoying her role as a high ranking female; while Samantha and Malika have adapted well to their lower ranking positions. Staff note that Samantha; her daughters Keza and Malika; and Keza’s son, Kitwe, are a strong family unit and often spend time together.

Two females I often see together are Sally and Keza. Their juvenile sons are constantly playing together and the four of them were up on a ledge together on this visit, with the juveniles chasing each other across the hammocks and ropes. Alexis often joins these four and plays with Bakari and Kitwe. This is why Sally and Keza are so supportive of him as the alpha.

As far as staff were aware, no females are off contraceptives (or pregnant). They’re happy with group size as it is. Cara (37) is arguably too old to breed successfully now (and her son is the only reproductive male); Samantha (35) and Sally (34) are fast approaching the end of their reproductive years. Keza (20) is in her prime, and will likely be the next to breed if they choose not to breed from Samantha or Sally one last time.

Paternity testing has confirmed Sammy (who died 2017) was the father of Malika. Paternity has not been established for Bakari and Kitwe yet.

History:

I’ve just updated this thread with some information on the history of Wellington Zoo’s chimpanzee including the three tea-party chimps - Yoka, Molly and Breena (Post #7 to Post #13):

Wellington Zoo - Wellington Zoo Chimpanzee

Tafin, Jambo, marmolady and 1 other person like this.
  20. marmolady

Monarto chimps:
    -Zuri has gotten huge, and is having swellings. They grow up so fast!
    -Hannah is very much showing her pregnancy, due in March
    -the big news... Zombi was recently taken off contraceptives; I would not be surprised if Hannah’s isn’t the only infant born this year!

Tafin, Jambo, Zoofan15 and 1 other person like this.