Join our zoo community

Australian hippo speculation thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zorro, 3 Feb 2020.

1. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Are the 0.5 at Werribee closely related to Albert at Adelaide?

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unsure but I feel his breeding days could be long pasted.
    I believe perhaps any zoo/s that wanted to maintain what Hippos are left within the country would be wise to scout around now for Hippos to import so when the green light does happen it would save time on the importation!

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Tafin like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brindabella’s dam was born at Adelaide Zoo to Albert (1965) and Susie (1967-2017).

That’s likely true. He’s certainly too old too handle a move. A better move would have been moving a female to Adelaide to breed with him a decade or so ago. This would have been difficult however due a lack of space (Adelaide still had Susie until 2017).

4. Zorro

While some have concerns about the lack of Hippo numbers and breeding in Australia its not a concern of the large wild group that has been living and breeding in Colombia in south America for the last 30 years. they started out with 3 females and 1 bull I believe the numbers are said to be around 60 more or less.I had read about one of them coming out on a beach in Mexico last year. There is a lot of talk in Colombia of what to do about them?, or perhaps a few of us Zoochaters could go over there a hog-tie a few and bring them back here,LOL

5. Zoofan15

I’m down! #Ladsontour

Hyak_II, Jambo, Riley and 2 others like this.
  6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I understand that Israel (the Biblical Zoo?) have an exceptionally good breeding program and have exported individuals. One would think that South Africa would be a logical source. Isn't SA one of the countries that imports are permitted for some imports ie. nyala via NZ???

Tafin and Zorro like this.
  7. Zorro

I guess it all depends on how strict and from where imports would be allowed to come from until the import IRA is complete its wait and see!

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They would have that space now?

9. Zorro

I believe you will find the area for Hippos in Adelaide zoo very small indeed. But for the future Monatro zoo has a massive African area!

Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  10. Zoofan15

Although it’s believed male Common hippopotamus are fertile throughout their adult lives, I think 54 years would be pushing it irregardless of what space is available.

Though like @Zorro says, the exhibit is barely adequate for one Common hippopotamus by today’s standards; let alone a small breeding herd.

Since Albert is too old to cope with a move, I think the best option is to let him live out his remaining years; and phase the exhibit out. The species is best suited to Monarto Safari Park out of Zoos SA’s facilities.

11. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

Friends, it is with a very heavy heart that we announce the passing of Brutus, Adelaide Zoo's much-loved Hippopotamus.

At 54, Brutus was the oldest hippo in Australia and had lived at Adelaide Zoo for 45 years. Due to his advanced years, and concerns that age-related conditions were likely to cause him further discomfort over the winter period, veterinary staff and keepers made the extremely difficult but kind decision to euthanise.

We will miss Brutus greatly. However, the good news is that Brutus’ legacy lives on. Brutus is survived by two hippos, his granddaughter Brindabella and great grandaughter Pansy, both of whom reside at Werribee Open Range Zoo in Victoria.

Throughout his life, Brutus has been a true ambassador animal for his vulnerable species. Visits to see the gentle giant resulted in educating millions of visitors about the plight of his wild cousins and the vital conservation work that will hopefully save Hippopotamus from extinction. ❤️

While this is undoubtedly sad news, we really want to celebrate Brutus’ life and all that he achieved. So, to commemorate his 54 years and all the smiles he gave us, we would love it if you could indulge in some of his favourite foods – watermelon or an apple, banana and pear fruit salad – and post a picture in the comments along with any messages about Brutus and for his keepers.

Vale dear Brutus. We hope you're resting with Susie now.

Remembering Brutus - Zoos SA

: Natalia Barszczowska

Zorro and Tafin like this.
  12. Zorro

Very sad to hear this yet another Hippo loss for our zoos!

13. Zorro

At least we now know for sure from todays video on the Monatro zoo thread that they will be importing Hippos for there massive African safari drive through this is welcome news indeed I hope they import at least a trio but its wait and see at this stage!

Tafin and marmolady like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

While agreeing it is a sad loss given his age it was not totally unexpected.

However, every sad event has a light at the end of the tunnel .... it might be a chance for pygmy hippo to make a resurgence in Australia. What if ZAA zoos would work together on an import of a couple of female pygmy hippos (preferably 2-4 individuals).

And if we really do go into overdrive on their larger cousin the common hippo perhaps 5-10 hippos with 1:3 sex ratio ...!

Tafin and Zorro like this.
  15. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only problem with importing groups of 1:3 is that if they’re not all directly related the chance of fighting and/or infanticide is increase, as it happened at Werribee zoo with their females being half sister from different mothers. The likelihood is that if they import a group like that the female will probably need separation at some point, meaning the need to have multiple enclosure, or to prevent fighting the zoo will need to import direct siblings or a mother daughter group, which genetically is isn’t worth while. I can’t imagine zoo wanting to import 3 related females, essentially doubling the port cost of their overall group, if all females are sisters and genetically identical.

16. Zoofan15

If imports from outside the region don’t materialise, this could be achieved by importing 0.3 from Werribee Open Range Zoo (Primrose and her two daughters) and 1.0 from Taronga Western Plains Zoo (Mana).

Upon reaching maturity, Kani could be sent to Werribee Open Range Zoo to breed with mother and daughter, Brindabella and Pansy; and then Monarto could return a male offspring from their herd to breed with the cows at Dubbo.

If imports are possible - a young 1.1 pair could easily produce a calf every 2-3 years, so would arguably produce enough female offspring to build up a herd on their own - with surplus male offspring potentially accommodated by the other two holders.

17. Zorro

If Hippos are to be kept in the region imports are a must we are at a point where trying to juggle bloodlines much more is not really possible, As was stated in yesterdays video from Monarto they want Hippos there for the new Africa exhibit, I guess they are looking at the long term

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. Kifaru Bwana

What you describe is a chance to set up in an open range land setting multiple pools (up to 3 or even 4 ... being ambitious) to adequately house a breeding group of common hippo. And although rearranging larger groups in Australian zoos is advisable now, an import of unrelated and of separate bloodlines from Africa direct or the South-East Asian region is imperative if Australian zoos wish to have common hippos in their collections going forward. Going for extinction or phase out is an exhibit / conservation ethic and education no brainer.

I would prefer the city zoos to restrict themselves to maintaining pygmy hippo only. Also, here new unrelated stock of various bloodlines is imperative for the integrity of the entire program as is a robust declaration of conservation education and breeding interest in the species in Australian zoos.

Jambo, Tafin, marmolady and 1 other person like this.