Join our zoo community

Australian mammals in overseas zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Pygathrix, 6 Jan 2008.

1. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kyabram Fauna Park

The Kyabram fauna park is a tiny zoo in victoria, Australia that has had a really good history with tassie devils in the past but don't have any now because the last one died of old age (They have a very short life expectancy) and they weren't getting any of the tumour free ones that they are taking out of tasmania.
    They have two species of quoll as well, 5 of one species and 2 of the other

2. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Quolls only live about 3 years too..? Correct..?

Some of these marsuapials are almost rodent like in life span..!

3. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

Three years is about right for quolls. Our oldest Tasmanian devil lived to be over 8 years old.

4. Kapal

Kapal Member

There are a lot more koalas outside Australia (more like 200). Japan has the largest share with about 90 koalas spread around 6 zoos (aproximately). There are also koalas in Taipei, Tiawan, in Guangzhou, China and most recently, in Chiangmai, Thailand.

5. Kapal

Kapal Member

Depends on what type of Quoll you are talking about. Generally the larger the dasyurid, the longer the lifespan. Eg, Spotted-tailed quolls live about 6 years in captivity, Northern Quolls, New Guinea Quolls live for around 2-3 years. In general, ones in captivity live longer than those in the wild.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

excuse me, I think you mean 'Fesh and Chups' :D?

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yellow- footed Rock Wallaby are a beautiful species. They'd make a great exhibit in a European zoo, given a decent rocky exhibit to leap about on...

Thorny devils- my guess is they would be totally inactive/difficult to display well so not a good exhibit. And difficult to feed without enormous supplies of ants available? Great name tho'

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Affirmative that most Australasian exhibits overseas are poor in content and far from imaginative. But I would first like to see zoos overseas take a real interest in the Antipodes fauna and flora.

LOOK at what we have and could preserve in good numbers. Koalas, several wallaby species, red and grey kangaroo, tree kangaroos (yep partially PNG), echidnas, emus, cassowaries, several cockatoo species and Australian reptiles (blue-tongeds, shinglebacks, bearded agamas and recently also frilled lizards. Damn, I would like to see echidnas (currently most are keeping just pairs only and the exhibits usually look drab) and Aussie reps breeding nicely first. After that we can invest in wombats (NOW 7 or 9 in Europe) et al.

In Europe Aussie megafauna (mammals only):
    echidnas Tachyglossus 5.4 (the largest ... ahum is Rotterdam with 2.1, no wonder no breeding is taking place with this admittedly hardy but difficult to breed sp.)
    koalas Phascolarctos 13.12 (all Queensland ssp. and breeding at 4 collections)
    red kangaroo Macropus rufus 124.167.24 (not exactly unnumerous)
    eastern grey kangaroo Macropus giganteus 9.23+6.5 Ramat-Gan
    western grey kangaroo Macropus fuliginosus 27.50
    red-necked wallaby Macropus rufogriseus 215.294.187+
    parma wallaby Macropus parma 70.100.42
    agile wallaby Macropus agilis 6.9.5
    tammar wallaby Macropus eugenii 18.31.23
    Matschie's tree kangaroo 6.5
    Goodfellow's tree kangaroo 4.3
    brush tailed rock wallaby 2.2 (South Lakes only)
    Tasmanian devil 2.2 (Kobenhavn only)

On closer inspection too many wallabies and red kangaroos are well represented. The others are in small populations with breeding wise only koalas and Goodfellow's tree kangaroos doing well. There is talk of reviving the Tassie devil ESB if participation n and the import of disease-free devils comes to fruition for Europe. Groups of wombat were imported in the early 2000's (it be nice if more European zoos would concentrate on this unusual species).

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Most of them are off show but have put a pair on show near the monkey house over a year ago.

10. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

papuan ground cuscus?

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interestingly, I learned that red and grey kangaroos can be kept in walk-thru paddocks. Something I never seen in Europe.

BTW - how well can tree kangaroos jump from standing point? Maybe if they can be kept on open, tree-filled paddocks they can become more popular?

12. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

Furuvik Zoo in Sweden has a huge walk-through encloaser with a group of Western Grey Kangaroos (6-7) and three red-necked Wallabies. All the adults is very shy however and spend most of the time in parts of the encloaser were they are quite far away from the visitors.

They had 1 hand-raised young (the mother died) here in 2007 that was very tame however, jumped around among the visitors on the boardwalk and had to be guarded by the zoo keepers when ever it was out to avoid injuried (had started to became agressive towards to keepers). I feelt quite sad for him (his name is "Bosse"), the rest of the Kangaroo flock didnt accept him so he got attached to the keepers instead. He had to be kept in a seperate encloaser in their stable to avoid being attacked by the others. I think they have managed to intergrade him in the kangaroo group now however.

13. patrick

yeaaaah! thats how we keep pretty much all our kangaroos here in australia. you'll notice though that often large matured males are absent from the group but still, often a docile male is found.

are you kidding? i think the opposite would be true! if you put tree kangaroos in "tree-filled paddocks" i'm afraid they are likely to disappear into the canopy never to be spotted by a visitor again!

in melbourne they are kept in very similar enclosures the to red pandas, binturongs and coatis. these consist of outdoor exhibits with a low waist height wall with metal plates to make it "climb proof" on the inside. however the tree kangaroos can jump so the zoo tends lower the ground level near the walls to add an extra couple of feet to the height on the kangaroo side.

the goodfellow's here also have large heated stilt "houses" with perspex windows. and obviously plenty of climbing opportunities and usually access to a live tree (which they demolish).

the animals used to have a much better, larger exhibit that had in part head-high simple wire fences the animals obviously found difficult to climb.
    unfortunately this modern exhibit (that also featured cassowaries next door) was demolished to make way for the orangutan sanctuary.

they also happily shared this exhibit with echidnas - which made it much more interesting. back in the late 90's i remember the zoo housed the tree-kangaroos along with grey dorcospis wallabies.

in any event the animals are almost always active and not at all shy. they are a very popular exhibit and have become a species melbourne prides itself on, in the category of its gorillas, orangs, elephants and sumatran tigers..

now they just need to build another new guinea exhibit!!!

14. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

THere are pictures of both those animals i have uploaded in teh gallery, search YFRW for wallabies

15. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The best North American Australian Zoo Exhibits:

-Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
    -Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
    -Toronto Zoo
    -San Diego Zoo
    -Los Angeles Zoo
    -Brookfield Zoo
    -Kangaroo Conservation Center
    -and others i probably missed

This list is based mainly on species collection and not neccessarily on exhibit design. Most US Zoos that advertise Australian exhibits are really Indo/Malay exhibits with some Australian species.

16. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Ha ha, and the Kiwi at Columbus Zoo are in the Australia area of the zoo...

17. patrick

sooner or later jeremy, sooner or later ..............you will join us ;)

i think the columbus zoo keep clouded leopards in there too!

i like that okapi mentioned a "kangaroo conservation center" in the US, i doubt there are few species there we don't poison/shoot/trap someplace in australia still....

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Here's something that I cut and pasted from the Toronto Zoo website...as it's their big 2008 exhibit opening:

New Great Barrier Reef Exhibit Opens May 16, 2008:

The Toronto Zoo will offer visitors a newly refurbished Australasia Pavilion featuring the much anticipated NEW Great Barrier Reef Exhibit. All FREE with admission to the Toronto Zoo.

The pavilion has undergone renovations to include new exhibits for the echidna and hairy-nosed wombats. These animals move into their 1,300 square foot, newly expanded exhibits, plus new outdoor viewing area! Also returning will be Doni and Loka our Komodo Dragon couple, a Tree Kangaroo and Kookaburra, Black Tree Monitor and Green Tree Python.

New marine exhibits have been built to feature the beautiful and enchanting Great Barrier Reef, one of the Wonders of the World and a World Heritage Site.

The centerpiece of this exhibit is the Great Barrier Reef Community Tank. Over 23 feet in length (7m) and at 32,000 litres it offers over 1,000 reef fish such as Bamboo Shark, Parrot and Angel Fish, and all are set within a colourful coral reef display. Also new to the Zoo will be a Moon Jelly Fish, Australian Sea Horse and live Coral Reef Exhibits.

This new underwater wonderland, teeming with a dazzling variety of marine life, will literally surround you and your family with clouds of hypnotically colourful reef fish moving through crystal clear waters, a perfect environment created by the latest technologies. Interpretive signage will support this new and exciting area offer visitors a chance to learn how important the Great Barrier Reef and it's inhabitants are to the diversity of life.

19. patrick

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

20. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

the top original thread said 90+ koalas in europe, may i ask which collections these are at?