Join our zoo community

Aviary idea for future zoo. Great idea or recipe for disaster?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by ZooKeeper31902, 15 Feb 2019.

1. ZooKeeper31902

ZooKeeper31902 Member

I am planning to open a zoo in the future. I always thought an aviary would be cool. I plan to house my different bird species from around the world. Here's my ideas:
    • Budgerigars (What a surprise.)
    • Cockatiels
    • Zebra Finch
    • Gouldian Finch
    • Domestic Canary
    • House Sparrow
    • Northern Cardinal
    • Blue Jay
    • Vermillion Cardinal
    • American Robin
    • Red-Winged Blackbird
    • Baltimore Oriole
    You are probably wondering right now why there are some "mundane" birds such as the Cardinals and Orioles? The reason why is to display to guest how diverse birds can be and create an interesting exhibit with birds they see everyday and birds they may have never seen before. Yes, I will be a good boy and give all the bird the proper space and hiding places. My real question is if this can work. I'm not sure if all these birds can get along. Another concern is that some will attack the visitors. The last thing I need is dead birds on the ground and people running and screaming while getting their eyes are pecked out. What birds should I keep and which should I leave out?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Any bird can get along if the space is large enough, planted well enough and sufficiently diverse niches.The issues will arise when you cannot meet the requirements for a mixed group.

3. ZooKeeper31902

ZooKeeper31902 Member

Good to know. Do you think that any of the birds would attack the guests? I heard that Blue Jays might be aggressive.

4. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

The red winged blackbird would be more likely to attack people, particularly
    if nesting.

5. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member

Most of these might get along. Just a couple of thoughts though:

Budgerigars can be surprisingly aggressive to other birds in a confined space, although I have seen them kept with Cockatiels. In general, a lot of parrot species are best by themselves, but some good species that will mix include various Australian grass parakeets like the Bourkes', which has interesting crepuscular habits as well

Blue Jays are probably the most risky for other birds.A lot of corvids are quite predatory, and though they normally prey on nests smaller birds would also be at risk in an aviary

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member

The main issues you'd run into are the bluejays eating all the eggs of any nesting birds, and possibly predation of the zebra finches (although I would be too worried about that one). Other issue is the house sparrows, if you have more than a few birds. They are very aggressive and scrappy, and be can a bad time in large numbers. However as a general rule a couple birds won't hurt anything, especially if there aren't any nest sites.

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Agree with comments above that size would be important, a big enough aviary and everything will get along, besides some predation. Mind you the aviary would certainly be big enough to be walk-in, which would be good in itself. But my question is why this group of birds? I would ask what would the visitor get out of seeing such a mix? At the very least I would split it into two, an American aviary and an Australian aviary. (the canary being the odd one out). One good thing would be your visitors now have two exhibits to visit, not one, and they are not confused by the theming.

8. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member

An even better idea would be to just build a bird house- a large building that could house any and every bird. Now you have the normal birds you want, the more unusual birds, and can also add oropendolas, sunbitterns, hornbills, turacos, guans, etc. to make it more interesting