Join our zoo community

Aviary Park Indonesia news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Fargusno, 16 Mar 2023.

1. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Opening soon on May 2023 in Bintaro, not far from South Jakarta. Owned by Taman Safari Indonesia's child group, Aviary Group.

https://www.instagram.com/aviaryparkindonesia/

Confirmed animals included. Some animals are (probably) transfers from the main TSI park in Cisarua, mostly off-display ones:
    • Butterflies of different species including the Common birdwing
    • Rhinoceros hornbill
    • Barn owl
    • Griffon vulture
    • Flamingo (unknown species, might be Greater flamingo)
    • Bali myna
    • Lesser adjutant
    • Bald eagle
    • Cattle egret
    • Ostrich
    • Chinese hwamei
    The exhibits are split into five different biomes:
    • Desert
    • Plains (and or savannahs)
    • Tropical rainforests
    • Swamps and wetlands
    • Lake
    More update will come soon!

Last edited: 16 Mar 2023
    Mossman Joe likes this.
  2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

These may not be the actual zoning plans for the park, as this was only mentioned as being the inspirations of the coloration of the park's logo. Still, I hope to see this park as a large bird park with geographic themed zones similar to Bird Paradise, unlike the other new Jakarta-based bird park which I harshly consider to be quite a disappointment.

Some of these aren't really "confirmed" or really mentioned. The bald eagle seems to just be a random design choice for their Instagram post, it's not unusual for local zoos to put random, unrelated but well-known species in their promotional medias. While it's pretty likely that they may get the lesser adjutants, cattle egret, and common ostrich due to their plenty stock, it's yet to be confirmed until we get a very real media of them. The "griffon vulture" might (Or maybe obviously, if they used real picture) be the turkey vulture if you look at the Instagram post, which I find interesting.

As of now, we know that they have Javan owlet, barn owl, Chinese hwamei, Bali myna, fairy bluebird, pied starling, and black-winged myna.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2023
    Fargusno and PossumRoach like this.
  3. Salt Merchant

Aside from birds, Aviary Park have a collection of butterfly too in what seems to be in a rather nice aviary. A very interesting addition which I very much appreciate that actually still fitting for this new park.

They also even have a active conservation and release program for this butterflies, which they did last month during the park's educational tour to a school.

Aviary Park on Instagram: "☀️Fun-ducation with Santa Laurensia School #aviarypark #kupukupu #butterfly #Conservation #ParkAndResto #BintaroGem #BirdParadise #BirdPark #bintaro #bintarocreativedistrict #tangerangselatan #stasiunpondokranji #enjoyjakarta #tempatbaru #newhangoutplace #newspot #instaplace"

Last edited: 14 Jul 2023
    Mossman Joe likes this.
  4. Salt Merchant

This new park really sounds promising to me, genuinely have me quite hyped and optimistic for this place after I was downed by Jakarta Bird Land. Finally, a new Indonesian zoo that actually have interesting variety of species, great and natural enclosures, and actual conservation program. But, I don't want to let my guard down and be disappointed again. Still, let's hope that there won't be any man-made domestic morphs in there ;-)

Again, I really hoped that this place will be Indonesia's equivalence to Bird Paradise and/or the former Jurong Bird Park, not really in term of scale but still have that spirit. I hope that we'll see the same thing for Bintaro aquarium and BSD zoo.

Worth nothing though, they seems to full-heartedly promoted endangered species protection. Even as far as calling out endangered bird sellers and keepers, in some way also calling out those rich assholes that is the Indonesian wildlife pet-keeping community. Quite a suprise as most other Indonesian zoos and aquarias, mostly newer and some city zoos, vaguely promote wildlife protection in a way that still appease exotic pet keepers, one of their main group of incoming visitors ;-p

Mossman Joe and Fargusno like this.
  5. Fargusno

With TMII's bird park under renovation, Aviary Park might face some competition in aviary design and collection in the future. Now this gets real interesting!

Salt Merchant likes this.
  6. Fargusno

Aviary Park's map has been leaked, apparently in someone's blog. Their opening date pushed multiple times (AFAIK the first was May 2023 then to August 2023 and now aiming for a December 2023 opening) and in preparation, McDonald's opened at the nearby Bintaro Plaza to cater kids.

As seen below, the park is split into five zones: desert, savannah, swamp, lake and rainforest. With the rainforest zone being the largest and the swamp zone being the smallest. It seems it will not house just birds but a handful of reptiles, insects, mammals and one fish species (Pirarucu). Keep in mind that this map might be for the upcoming soft opening somewhere in December 2023 and yeah.. I'll have to wait a bit for the reptile zones to be done excluding the tortoise and iguana exhibit. Betting they'll exhibit banana spinytail or rhinoceros iguanas instead of the usual green iguanas.

I wish the best for the Aviary Park team and Taman Safari group for the opening of Aviary Park, and also hope that this and BXSea will attract more visitors to Bintaro.
    Peta-Aviary-Park.jpeg

7. Salt Merchant

Why can't they just stick with the birds and butterflies? If they wanted so hard, why can't they just build a Reptile Park next door or opened an actual zoo in the first place? Honestly these "Bird Park", "Reptile Park", or "Aquarium" seems to be tempted to be a zoo rather than focusing on their main objectives, the consequences of having hobbyist and pet collectors as your staffs and influence rather than actual conservationist and actual wildlife-right activists.

Aside from the reptile parts and petting zoo, the fact it going to having zoning and more exhibits are great. It's awesome that it won't be just a couple of "mega-aviaries" with other smaller aviaries for parrots and birds-of-prey.

I'm definitely interested in this park, it could've been Indonesia's Bird Paradise if they just get rid of the unnecessary parts. But again, I do say there are massive misoppurtunity.
    • The "Desert" could've been a chance for this place to finally display desert birds from around the world, like birds from Australia and several interesting species like burrowing owls that had never been displayed in Indonesia before. Instead, it pretty much the de facto "Reptile Park" part of the park.
    • I'm not sure about the "Savanna", but it kinda sad though it seems they won't really be focusing on African birds. Though they had a Australian exhibit si that's a plus, saying that it won't have domestic color variations of cockatiels and budgerigars.
    • Not sure about the "Swamp", it only have one exhibit called Amazon Lotus. Which I feel like instead of housing some scarlet ibises and shoebills, it just have a bunch of native waterbirds in a messy enclosures (Similar to Bandung Zoo's wetland bird section).
    • "Lake" definitely sounds a bit promising, minus the arapaima.
    • "Rainforest" are probably going to be the main part of the Park, though it's probably won't be perfect.
    • Honestly, the birds-of-prey should have their own separate zone.
    The Park's zoning in my opinion should be atleast based on geography rather than biome. Like there should be Wallacean, Papuan, Australian, African, and South American exhibits. Then we can do go with the biome part like wetlands, as well as seabirds and colder-biome birds. Finally, they can have group-themed exhibits, like birds-of-prey, pheasants, and several passerine species.

Fargusno and Mossman Joe like this.
  8. Fargusno

My suggestions:

Desert area:
    • Iguana Oasis displaying rarer iguanas like banana spinytail and rhinoceros iguana instead of common.mutant green iguanas. Or, change it to something like a "desert lizard" exhibit with nile monitor or larger uromastyx specimens.
    • Rabbit Gazebo replaced by a Patagonian mara exhibit or a fennec fox exhibit, which would made more sense than common domestic rabbits.
    • Insect Gallery could have been in the rainforest section, with this one housing scorpions, tarantulas, pillbugs, centipedes and probably terrestrial crabs/hermit crabs (a.k.a the Arthropod Adventure).
    • Torto Playground is good so far. It has Sulcata tortoises as seen from sneak peeks in their Instagram story and reels. Needs more natural enclosure, and probably mixed with rarer leopard or pancake tortoises.
    • Nandu Territory.. from the signage it seems to be housing a ratite, more likely an emu or a rhea. Nothing much to say until I see there in person.
    • Donkey Corner? Hmm.. IDK what to say but it could have been an exhibit for a desert-dwelling mammal. Perhaps oryxes like in Faunaland?
    • Snake & Peak could be housing smaller desert reptiles, like rattlesnakes, sandfishes, smaller uromastyx, bearded dragons and others. But please, no mutant (albino and the gang) reptiles!
    Savannah area:
    • Birds of Tomorrow could have been "Birds of Yesterday/The Past" instead with exhibits for various theropod/avian dinosaur and prehistoric bird animatronics or statues/dioramas to educate visitors about the evolution of birds and their dinosaurian origins, like how Animalium BRIN has a life-size Phorusrhacos model in their aves exhibit. Examples of species that could be displayed here are Tyrannosaurus rex, Velociraptor, Archaeopteryx, Gastornis, Oviraptor and Argentavis.
    • Australian Savanna must be kept away from mutant budgerigars/cockatiels at all costs!
    • Rabbit Hill? Hmm.. could have been housing wallabies instead to go with the Australasian theme of the Savannah area. If there's already a Rabbit Gazebo, why there is another rabbit exhibit?!
    • Pygmy Paddock is completely uneeded and could be replaced with an emu exhibit, should Nandu Territory exhibit rheas/ostriches instead
    • Priangan Peak? From the sound of it, it may be a goat exhibit. Could be a mini African exhibt instead with small antelopes like gazelles or klipsringers
    • Eagle's Nest could be a great exhibit for rarer/seldomly-seen raptors. Maybe the retired raptors from TSI could be moved here, considering Aviary Park is a subsidiary of Taman Safari.
    Rainforest area:
    • Lizard Lounge must be kept from away from mutant lizard breeds at all costs. It could house several rainforest-dwelling/arboreal lizards like varanids, geckos, forest dragons and agamids, as well as other rainforest reptiles like pythons, vipers, smaller turtles and maybe dwarf caimans?
    • Parrot Paradise could be displaying rarer parrots like in Lembang Park and Zoo, with some toucans or turacos thrown into the mix
    • Butterfly Dome is good
    • Arthropod Adventure is where the Insect Gallery at, with exhibits for beetles, ants, cockroaches and other exhibitable insects.
    • Jewels of the Jungle should be 100% Indonesian native birds, or at least Southeast Asian birds, and strictly no mutant birds! Maybe some small non-avian faunas here too, like Asian forest tortioises and maybe some mousedeers like in the TSI big aviary during the 2000s.
    • Bird Aviary is where the miscellaneous birds at. Would love to see some phasianids there, and still no mutant birds!
    Swamp area:
    • There's a lesser adjutant on the map but it seems to be only exhibiting Amazonian lotuses. A waste of space I'd say. Could have been a wetland bird exhibit like Jurong Bird Park's African Wetlands. Would love to see Shoebills if it happened..
    Lake area:
    • Duck Haven must be kept away from domestic ducks or mutant ducks. Could be housing a plethora of waterfowls like in LPZ with rarer/seldomly seen ones like hooded mergansers, orinoco geese, radjah shelducks and others (mostly foreign waterfowls) aside from native/commoner ones like mandarin ducks, mute swans, chinese geese and whistling ducks.
    • Flamingo Island could be having Caribbean/American flamingos instead of the boring/usual greater/lesser flamingos.
    • Pelican Island could have not just one, but probably two pelican species (spot-billed and Australian pelicans). It seems that there will be little black cormorants as well. Maybe some storks/herons would be great there as well.
    • Arapaima Lake is completely uneeded since BXSea will acqure arapaimas, probably. You don't need to see arapaimas twice in one place (Bintaro), not to mention the murkiness of the lake will make visitors harder to see them and their deep-dwelling pond mates like catfish and pacus. Maybe it could be a false gharial exhibit instead, or an extension of the Swamp area with compatible waterfowls or wetland birds.

9. Fargusno

Aviary Park should be opening next month on 8th of December, but still soft opening. A few numbers of exhibits are still under works. From a frequenter in a neighboring forum, Skyscraper City?

upload_2023-11-25_21-59-55.png

10. Fargusno

Aviary Park is still not opening yet... What took them so long? They announced openings on May, August and now December.. and all of them not happening. I'd rather see them soft open like BXSea than doing too many opening dates that never come to fruition.

aramacao likes this.
  11. Fargusno

Aviary Park Indonesia has soft opened as of yesterday after multiple delays since last year. Thank goodness...

upload_2024-3-23_13-23-26.png