Join our zoo community

Avid Zoo Supporter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamaturtle2000, 6 Mar 2015.

1. mamaturtle2000

mamaturtle2000 New Member

Hi! I'm mamaturtle2000 and while I haven't visited a lot of zoos (just a handful here in the US); I am a big supporter of zoos that "do the right thing". I have lived in Columbus, Ohio for the last 3 years but lived here for a few years previously & so had already become familiar with our zoo (The Columbus Zoo & Aquarium) and our world famous Ms. Colo; the first gorilla born in human care & the oldest known gorilla ever. We always enjoyed visiting her group and became especially enamored with them after moving back here 3 years ago when their (then) youngest, Mo'ana started being very friendly & lovey with us (she is a very people-loving gorilla). After about a year even the silverback started visiting with us up close. Now, this silverback is Baron Macombo II; grandson (and raised by) of Colo, named after his great grandfather (Colo's dad) and half of the first surviving captive-born twins in the Western hemisphere. We treasured every moment we got to spend with these gorillas and my daughter & I even made the local paper for our interactions with Mo. Early 2014 I became pregnant & the gorillas could tell before I even told my husband; they all acted differently toward me & Mac started being very....weird. He'd hover near me and get agitated if people crowded around me. My whole pregnancy he was like that; he would even beat his chest if my husband touched me in front of him. Long story short....my son's name is Makombo (different spelling) and while Mo will still visit & love on me (kisses, head rubs & feeding through the glass) when I have the baby in my lap she gets very agitated when I feed him. Mac will hover until I get the baby out of the stroller & then watch from afar as long as I am holding him. A couple of months ago Mac was very agitated over a new volunteer at the zoo; a docent we knew told us how nothing had been able to calm him all day. The docents left (the lady even saying to us, "I'll leave our gorillas in your capable hands."), we warned people out of the building & I sat down on the floor with the baby in front of Mac; he calmed down almost immediately & eventually even let me sit at the glass with him. My experiences with "my gorillas" have made me decide I'll never leave this area unless my gorillas do & so I love the Columbus Zoo. I can't say I'm a big Jack Hanna fan though ;) Just saying....
    So thanks for accepting me & I look forward to sharing zoo stories & knowledge :)

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you for sharing a lovely story :)

Curious as yo how Oliver is going ? Is he a good father ?

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Realy a very intresting story and thank for sharing it with us ! Unbelieveble how humanish Gorilla's ( and other Apes ) can be.

4. mamaturtle2000

Well, when his son Kamoli was born Kambera didn't really take to caring for him so he went to a surrogate. SHE didn't really take to him either so they reluctantly placed him with Pongi in Mac's group (reluctantly because of her advanced age). Then this time last year sadly Pongi passed away so poor Kamoli was left with no mom again. Toni, of all apes (Colo's daughter & only surviving child) stepped into the role & he's thrived ever since. It's really awesome to see how Mac plays with Kamoli; wrestling & gentle love bites. It took Mo'ana a long time to adjust to Kamoli as she was used to being the youngest in the group & Mac's favorite too. Now Kamoli is joined by a new surrogate sister Kamina. Kamina was born in Oklahoma but her mom didn't take care of her & neither did the foster mom they tried in Cincinnati so she came here to Columbus and Toni is caring for her as well so she is set to also hopefully join Mac's group. :)

@Vogelcommando you're right and it amazes me every time :)

5. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat.

6. mamaturtle2000

Thanks; I look forward to talking with everyone!

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat mamaturtle2000.