Join our zoo community

Awful/funny holiday experiences

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by amur leopard, 18 Aug 2019.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Following a recent trip to France for three weeks (with a few funny happenings), I tried to recall previous trips when things had gone wrong or something hilarious had happened. I will give a few of my own examples:

Most recently, I was in the Alps with my parents and sister for a week. We were staying in a hotel in Morzine. It was the day of our check out and my parents and I were packing. My sister was about to give the key to our room in when she decided that she needed the toilet first. After doing her business, she accidentally dropped the key into the toilet. As the key was attached to a piece of slate with our room number on it, it sank to the bottom and started to float down the tube behind the toilet. Having heard the clanging sound as the slate hit the bottom of the toilet, I came in to see my sister with her arm wrist deep in pee and legs in the air, trying desperately to pull it out. Finally, she managed to get it out and had to dry it in her pocket before going down to give the now slightly smelly key in to the reception.

I have also gone on some trips that were so awful that they were honestly hilarious by the time they ended. An example is one time when I went to Niagara Falls. I had booked a hotel that claimed to be right next to and therefore have a magnificent view over the falls. As I was based for that particular trip in Toronto beforehand, I had booked a train over to Niagara . However the train was cancelled so I had to take a rail replacement bus service all the way there. By the time I got there, it was 3pm, having set off a 7:30 am . Little did I know that the bus actually only took me to a stop 16 km away from Niagara. I set off as fast as possible with all my bagages, walking towards the city, guessing the direction via the sun :) . I finally got there at around 7:30pm and went about trying to find my hotel. I walked towards the falls , but it clearly wasn't any of the surrounding buildings. I tried further out, but still no success. At around 9:30 pm I asked for the hotel at the reception of the Hilton. They indicated a location half a mile away from the falls (not at all near them) and I eventually found it. It was a 36 storey building. I went in and tried to check-in. After waiting for half an hour for someone to turn up at the reception, they gave me a key. However, when I went up to the room, the key didn't even fit into the lock. I went back down. Not even apologising for the error, they gave me the correct key. I entered my room and was shocked. The ceiling was cracked there were traces of blood on the walls and the a dead rat on the floor. I went back down and asked if it was a joke. They said that if the room 'was not to my satisfaction' I could get it changed for a hundred dollars. I didn't because of the extortionate price. However, I did also tell them that although they advertised a view on the falls, my room had a charming view on the parking lot. They said that if I went up to the 35th floor there was an 'observatory' that allowed you to see the falls. I responded that you certainly needed a observatory telescope to spot the falls they were so far away, and the receptionist replied that 'things are further apart in Canada than in the UK. Annoyed, I decided to try out the observatory. I went in the extremely slow elevator up to the 35th floor and found the obscure viewing glass. The panel of glass was so dirty that all you could see was the reflection of the broom cupboard behind us. At this point I just laughed for 10 minutes. I soon returned to Toronto to a much better room and environment.

I would love to hear other people's experiences :)

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m sure your sister is delighted that the entire internet now knows about her key toilet mishap.

3. amur leopard

She did say it was fine to post it - it is only a funny memory now :)

4. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I was 11, me and my brother were canoeing as part of a day camp and we eventually stranded our boat on the river bank with none of the adults in sight. Feeling the situation was bleak, I yelled “we’re gonna die!”.

amur leopard likes this.
  5. amur leopard

What happened next? Did a grizzly bear gobble you up? :p :)

6. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think actually they would use the bear as a canoe and sing 'They'll come to you! Bi boda bip bip boo'!

7. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, neither of those things happened (as cool as it would’ve been if the second one did) because there are no wild brown bears in Michigan and the part we were in didn’t have any black bears either.

8. amur leopard

Lol this kinda stuff belongs in the Neverending Story or The Nonsense thread, but...