Join our zoo community

Axe Valley Wildlife Park Axe Valley Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Drago, 1 Aug 2014.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

when I visited early in the summer the arctic foxes were in an enclosure on the left as you enter the open, paddock area of the zoo; opposite the civets.
    I didn't see North American porcupine.
    There is a small reptile house to the right as you enter the zoo, just past the large waterfowl / waders aviary. If they have leopard gecko they will probably be in there.
    I didn't see any of the birds you mention but they were building a parrot aviary.
    Zootierliste is quite inaccurate as regards Axe Valley, unless they keep a lot of stuff off show.

BeakerUK likes this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Axe Valley appear to have a high turnover of species that are common in the exotic pet trade, maybe they get surplus of common species and then move them on? Not a dig, just an observation.

Obviously African civets and Egyptian mongoose aren't that common but seem to have been brought in on the basis of the owner likes them. They're never going to be meerkats in the public's eyes. :)

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do they have Egyptian mongoose?

4. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I have wondered about the rate at which pet-sized animals seem to change there, but at least I get to enjoy seeing them.

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

pipaluk and Ned like this.
  6. BeakerUK

They have Egyptian mongoose, banded mongoose, dwarf mongoose... big on the mongoose!

So having thoroughly searched the place, they definitely do not have Crimson rosella or North American porcupine. I did find the Fischer's lovebirds, not far from the Arctic foxes, and the Leopard gecko was indeed in the "warm house".

This was my third visit there, and I have really mixed feelings about the place. Obviously it is very small and has limited funds for big projects, though every time I have been there has been a plethora of new building going on, with new species going into the new enclosures. I do wish they'd demolish the old enclosures, though, as some of them are pretty grim.

If they have had Jaguarundi for a long time, it completely passed me by on my previous two visits but they have at least one that I saw curled up inside its den. The Rusty-spotted cat (or cats, I don't know how many of each species they have) has a new enclosure, on the other side of the path to the leopard cats and a bit further up (I don't recall what was there previously). There have been 4 leopard cats born this year - where do they go? I don't know of many zoos which hold them. I saw a glimpse of a fishing cat walking by, but by the time I had turned my camera on, it had disappeared and did not circle back again. I also saw the baby African palm civets snuggled up inside with mum - dad was laid out like cod on a slab in the sun.

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although I've only visited once I'd probably agree with that conclusion. I get the feeling the owners come upon an animal (for sale) they desperately want and build a new enclosure for it (or a new enclosure for an existing animal and put the new animal in the vacated enclosure) rather than stopping increasing their holdings and sorting out decent enclosures for everything they already hold.

They had them in July 2017.

I suspect, back to where their parents came from (private keepers/pet trade -call it what you will).

BeakerUK likes this.
  8. BeakerUK

(Jaguarundi) So I managed to completely miss them last time I visited! Though I had messed my knee up at that point so wasn't very thorough. Made up for that today!

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is a difference. A pet leopard cat is likely to have a less satisfactory life than a privately owned one in an appropriate enclosure, which can be as good as that provided by a good zoo.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Completely agree to an extent but I suspect the difference between pets and private keepers is not that clear cut though -some may class them as pets and keep them well and there can be a wide divergence between the way animals are kept by private keepers -some better than (some) zoos, some worse.

giant_anteater likes this.
  11. FBBird

Visited today for the first time this year. Puna Ibis, Demoiselle Crane, White Stork, African Sooonbill and Night Heron all nesting. Siberian Chipmunks have been replaced by Tamiops (Taiwan Striped Squirrel). Sitatunga herd numbers seven, always far back from the fence when I visit. Most of the seventeen strong Chilean Flamingo flock appeared to be full winged. Maybe they can't get sufficient run up to take off?
    Indian Spotbills (from Exmoor) have joined the ducks, ibis, spoonbills and Oystercatchers in the remodelled wetland aviary. There's a Grey Peacock Pheasant and at least one Crested Bronzewing in there too. Very attractive little zoo IMHO, and they accept ABWAK.

Brum likes this.
  12. FBBird

Every time the Sandhill Cranes called, the single (male?) Sarus next door went into full bugling display with wings dropped. Very impressive. Don't see many Sarus around these days.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Actually Taiwanese? Zootierliste appears to only have T. swinhoei and T. mcclellandii (and neither are listed for Axe Valley).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. FBBird

Whoops, these are swinhoei. Slipped up there.

Kifaru Bwana and Chlidonias like this.
  15. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

What is ABWAK??

16. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

TNT and Zia like this.
  17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No sign of the Blackbuck anymore? Do they still have singles of Red/Fallow deer?

18. FBBird

I don't think the Blackbuck were a success, and they are long gone. A pity as they're one of my favourite species.
    Both deer are still there, fit and well.

Pertinax likes this.
  19. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Had a great little trip today which I'd been planning for a while; coincidentally it featured in the recent ABWAK crossword!

Fantastic little collection - some rarer small mammals in "classic British" style enclosures that I will always have a soft spot for. Some personal highlights included the Indochinese Leopard Cats and their three kittens, Egyptian Mongoose, African Civets, Cape Genets and an Arctic Fox (All first times for me).

The owners and keepers were lovely and all took the time to talk - I can't wait to see how this collection develops, and I shall certainly be visiting again soon!

Photos to be uploaded into the gallery shortly :)

gulogulogulo and FBBird like this.
  20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Today was my third visit in less than a year - my first being shown above last summer, and the second a few months later with @migdog and his lovely wife.

Some updates for the park:
    - They no longer hold North American Red Squirrel - Prevost's squirrel are now in the exhibit.
    - The enclosure that previously held an elderly single Asian short clawed otter has now been removed, and a wader aviary is in construction (I shall upload some photos to the gallery tomorrow).
    - The Leopard cat young have all moved on, leaving only the parents.
    - There is now a single male Chacoan Mara which can be found in the Potto exhibit (within the animal encounters building).
    - The extension to the fishing cat exhibit is now completed, giving the female more than twice the space she had previously; I saw both individuals mixed at certain points throughout the day.
    - I'm not sure if I just hadn't noticed them on previous visits, but two Helmeted Curassow may be found in the "new" section of the zoo, to the right of the arctic fox exhibit.

Overall, another great visit! The owners and staff members are always friendly and happy to chat, so props to them :) I've uploaded some pictures of some of the animals to the gallery, and shall upload some of the exhibit developments soon. Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park - ZooChat

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.