Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo baboons

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 21 Dec 2009.

1. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Foxy.Tony was originally from Franklin and came to Auckland on loan.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wonder if Tony was related to the Auckand Zoo baboons in any way. I'm guessing he wasn't born at Auckland as media releases would have mentioned this as a return to Auckland but maybe his parents originated from the troop at Auckland Zoo.

Does anyone know what year the troop at Auckland started? Ie. when the founders were imported?

Tafin likes this.
  3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

See the "exotic mammals in NZ" thread for some info on Chacma Baboon origins in the country.

4. Zoofan15

Thanks, will check it out.

5. Zoofan15

Thanks to Chlidonias:

*Chacma Baboon (Papio ursinus)

Formerly common in NZ zoos and circuses. Both Auckland and Wellington had large breeding groups. Auckland's group was derived from an import from Taronga Zoo (Australia) in the 1950s and lasted until the 2000s. Wellington's group may have derived from Auckland's group rather than from a separate import, and lasted until at least the 1980s. The last two individuals in New Zealand were at Auckland Zoo (via Franklin Zoo) and Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary (Zion) (ex-circus), both dying of old age in 2011.

Interesting to know the Auckland troop originated from Taronga Zoo and that they were imported in the 1950s. I'm relieved to know my research on them won't have to go as far back as the 1920 at Auckland Zoo. Since all the baboons were elderly in the 2000s, it would be reasonable to assume they'd stopped breeding them in the 1980s.

I'm still wanting to find out more, so if anyone has any info to add to what's on this thread...

Tafin likes this.
  6. BennettL

Most of the animals as said in the post above were imported from Taronga these were ones that couldn't be bred at Taronga so Auckland vollentered to hold them.Though un-expected they had offspring born in the 1960's.This started Aucklands population.Then in the late 1960's through to the early 1980's Auckland and Wellighton exchanged members so they could have fresh bloodlines with Wellighton importing.But by the mid 1980's they started having familiar bloodlines and couldn't breed them anymore.The last baboon was breed in 1991.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

What was the last one born in 1991 called?

Do you have the DOB or even year of birth for Nicholas, Nero, Matthew, Mapel, Marcus, Cleo or Claudette?

8. BennettL

Tony was the last one born at Auckland.As you can see these are all offspring born at either Wellighton or Auckland and later ended up at Auckland.Three of these Mathew,Mapel and Claudette were the last baboons at Wellighton and exported to Auckland in 1986.Mapel later had Marcus 1987 and Claudette had Cleo 1987 Tess one of Aucklands other females had Terry 1988 and Tony 1991.Nicholas was the breeding male and his younger brother was Nero 1980.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Awesome, thank you for that.

Is Tony (1991) the same Tony that returned in the 2000s?

Do you know what years any of the baboons died?

Do you know when Nicholas, Matthew, Mapel and Claudette were born?

Two young males were euthanized in 1990-1992, I’m guessing Terry (1988) was one of them?

10. BennettL

Tony is the same Tony that returned in the 2000's he was sent to Franklin then returned.Terry (1988) and Marcus (1987) were euthanised in 1990 and 1991 respectively.Nicholas's birth is unknown though Mathew was Mapel's other son born in 1975.Mapel herself was cousin to Claudette as their mums Cathy and Mary were sisters born at Taronga.Mapel was born in 1969 and Claudette 1967.Cathy was born in 1945 at Taronga and Mary was wild born.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

Thank you for that BennetL, your information has been very useful. Did you contact the Auckland and/or Wellington Zoos directly or is this information available online somewhere? I’ve been looking for a while but have been unable to find anything so thank you again.

It sounds like Mapel and Claudette lived very long lives as in the 1998/1999 series of ‘the Zoo’ they were still in the troop so would have been in their early 30s! Matthew too would have been quite old. I believe Tony joined the zoo when there were still three Chacma baboons in the troop so these must have been Cleo, Matthew and maybe Nicholas or Nero?

If Nero (born 1980) was the younger brother of Nicholas, Nicholas must have been born 1978 or before...

It’s sad Terry and Marcus were euthanised at the young age of just 2 and 4 years respectively for no other reason than a lack of space. I’m guessing Cleo’s was spared a similar fate being female and less likely to cause disruption in a troop which depends on a ratio of less males than females. I’m guessing it was around this time that Auckland Zoo decided to phase them out as Cleo was never bred from.

Tafin likes this.
  12. BennettL

I got the information from records that I have of the zoo from 1990's and some news from Auckland zoo.Nicholas was euthinesed in 1999.So Nero,CLEO and Mathew were alive when Tony returned.Actually I think Nicholas was born in 1973 as in an email it says their were three males in 1994 possibly Nero and Nicholas and it only states their ages as I asked for only their ages but this means There is a huge difference betteen Nicholas and Nero's birth.Possibly a infant born between.Cleo indeed did breed.She had a still born infant in 1996 to Nero.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

Cool, so to summarise what you’ve told me so far….

Nicholas was born in 1973 and his younger brother Nero was born in 1980.

Were they both born at Auckland Zoo and do you know their mother’s name? Do you know what year Nero died?

Claudette was born in 1967 to Cathy and Maple was born in 1969 to Mary.

Were Claudette and Maple they born at Auckland Zoo and then sent to Wellington or were they born at Wellington?

Maple arrived from Wellington Zoo in 1986 with her son Matthew who was born 1975. Maple gave birth to a son Marcus in 1987, who was euthanised in 1991.

Do you know what year Mapel and Matthew died?

Claudette arrived from Wellington Zoo in 1986 with no offspring and gave birth to a daughter Cleo in 1987. Cleo gave birth to a stillborn infant in 1996.

Do you know what year Claudette and Cleo died and did Cleo have any other offspring than her stillborn infant in 1996?

Tafin likes this.
  14. BennettL

NICHOLAS (DECEASED 2001)

DOB:7th August 1973 AT WELLIGHTON ZOO

DAM:NAIROBI

SIRE:IKE

SISTERS/BROTHERS:Nero

OFFSPRING:TERRY,MARCUS,CLEO

NERO (DECEASED 2000)

DOB:29th DECEMBER 1980

DAM:NAIROBI

SIRE:SAM

SISTERS/BROTHERS:NICHOLAS

OFFSPRING:STILLBORN INFANT TO CLEO

CLAUDETTE (DEACESED 1998)

DOB:UNKOWEN 1967

DAM:CATHY

SIRE:JON

SISTERS/BROTHERS:NONE

OFFSPRING:CLEO,CANDICE

MAPLE (DEACESED 2000)

DOB:14th Jan 1969

DAM:MARY

SIRE:JON

SISTERS/BROTHERS:MARTHA?

OFFSPRING:MAY,MATHEW,MARCUS

CLEO (DEACESED 2008)

DOB:20th MARCH 1987

DAM:CLAUDETTE

SIRE:NICHOLAS

SISTERS/BROTHERS:CANDICE

OFFSPRING:STILLBORN INFANT 1996

MARCUS (DECEASED 1991)

DOB:10th JUNE 1987

DAM:MAPLE

SISTERS/BROTHERS:MATHEW

OFFSPRING:NONE

TERRY (DEACESED 1990)

DOB:18th October 1988

DAM:TESS

SIRE: PAUL?

SISTERS/BROTHERS:TONY

TONY (DEACESED 2011)

DOB:3rd JAN 1991

DAM:TESS

SISTERS/BROTHERS:TERRY

PAUL ( DEACESED 1988)

DOB:1970

DAM: PAM

SIRE:UNKOWEN

SISTERS/BROTHERS:LEE,NORA,SALLY,SANDRA,PERRY

OFFSPRING:TERRY

REMY (DEACESED 1993)

DOB:1966

DAM:RANNAE

SIRE:CHARLIE

SISTERS/BROTHERS:UNKOWEN

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  15. BennettL

Video on Aucklands baboons *released 26th Jan 2017:

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

Thanks for all that info BennettL. So all the baboons except Cleo (1987) were deceased by 2001? I'm sure I remember seeing at least two or three around that time?

17. Zoofan15

Corrections to the info supplied by @BennettL above after watching Episode 5 and 7 of the Zoo TV Show (Season 1):

- Marcus was not euthanased in 1991, he was clearly alive and well during and following the move to the new enclosure.

-There were seven baboons in 1998 at the time of the move. In Episode 5, Nicholas is sedated while it's mentioned there are six other baboons. If anyone wishes to count them, there is even a shot of them all lined up in an ajoining cage.

-Maple is the youngest baboon, not the second oldest.

Tafin and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  18. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I watched those episodes, they were very interesting. Some great shots of the old baboon cages, as well as the current exhibit when it was being built and first inhabited. The baboons named in the first season episodes were: Nicholas, Marcus, Matthew, Maple and Claudette, so two others were not named.

Tafin and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  19. Zoofan15

The other two baboons were named Nero and Cleo. I don’t know the date of birth of any of the seven baboons or their relation to each other but given Auckland Zoo’s naming convention during this time of giving offspring names starting with the same letter as their mother, I assume that Nicholas and Nero are brothers, Maple is the sister of Matthew and Marcus and Cleo and Claudette are either sisters or mother/daughter.

Can anyone supply their correct DOBs or any further details about them?

Tafin likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Hamadryas Baboon

The founders of Auckland Zoo's troop are:

1.0 Afar (born 10/08/2005 at Adelaide Zoo) Jarmah x Gina
    1.0 Wasaro (born 09/10/2005 at Adelaide Zoo) Jarmah x Gen
    0.1 Ayisha (born 04/09/2001 at Wellington Zoo) Unknown* x Zara
    0.1 Kito (born 21/05/2002 at Wellington Zoo) Unknown* x Greet

*Potential Sires = Pharaoh, Ramses and Albert

Six offspring have been born to this troop:

1.0 Yafeu (born July 2009) Ayisha
    1.0 Sekani (born April 2011) Ayisha DECEASED
    0.1 Naeemah (born July 2011) Kito
    1.0 Badi (born December 2012) Kito
    0.1 Zala (born October 2013) Ayisha
    0.1 Mali (born March 2015) Ayisha

The current troop is therefore 4.5 baboons.

Tafin and Jambo like this.