Join our zoo community

Chessington Zoo Baby Gorilla

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by skoop102, 26 Mar 2009.

1. skoop102

skoop102 Well-Known Member

News article dated today, 26/3.

Online dating proves success for gorillas - Nature, Environment - The Independent

Chessington Zoo was today celebrating the birth of a male baby gorilla following the successful use of online dating.

Western Lowland gorillas Buu and Damisi were introduced last summer after Damisa was identified as a breeding male for Buu. Zookeepers used the Stud Book, the equivalent of an online dating agency for gorillas, to source the perfect match. The computer database provides access to the entire European gorilla population and includes family trees and the history of every gorilla.

Keeper Michael Riozzi said: “We are so happy for Buu and Damisi who hit it off straight away. Buu is a fantastic first-time mum and their baby is a welcome addition to our group; one of the most successful breeding groups of Western Lowland Gorillas in Europe."

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Fantastc News :D

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Good news indeed, good on them

4. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Great news, was Damisi one of the hand reared males from Paignton?

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

damisi was born in frankfurt zoo and mother-reared.
    a great photo of them in the newspaper.
    this baby is the great grandson of london's female 'lomie'

6. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I am so pleased to hear about this birth. Chessington has the nearest placed gorillas to my home so I have visited them a fair bit in the past (although I didn't make the Zoo Days openings this winter, unfortunately). I can't wait to get down there and see them sometime soon :D

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After feeling very depressed reading through - and agreeing with - the Twycross thread , this has really cheered me up - brilliant news !!!

8. Pertinax

They could probably have had more babies now but the other breeding females are on contraceptives to prevent overcrowding in the existing enclosure.

Hopefully they will expand the group further with the building of the new enclosure.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2009
  9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They certainly need that new enclosure now or extension to the current. The Keeper on Zoo Days didn't come to regret his words ;)

10. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news... Any news on a new Gorilla complex?

11. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I wondered if Gorilla_lady is still looking at the site, as perhaps she could let us know how mother and baby are doing at this early stage. Any news would be welcome :)

12. Pertinax

what did he say?

afaik the new enclosure is scheduled for 2010. We were told they have the funding and the current enclosure is really past its sell by date now.

I'm confident Buu should make an excellent mother as she has had perfect group experience with older females and younger siblings too.

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

He said he expected babies in a years time when they introduced the new male.

14. Pertinax

Shani(who is the grandmother of the new Baby), Asili and possibly Shangha(a bit young though) could all have bred with Damisi by now too if they were not on contraceptives. Also Mjuku who went to ZSL... potentially they could have produced three or even four babies rather than one. However I believe the Gorilla EEP 'recommended' them to produce just the one for now though. They are currently compromised by space problems but that should be changed provided the new enclosure does go ahead. They could easily have a group of twenty Gorillas in a few years time without the current breeding restriction.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2009
  15. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

16. Pertinax

Why don't they update the 'Gorilla Family' section- it is about six years out of date- Buu is now 13, not 7, while 'Damisi' the new 'family head'(not Kumba) and the new baby aren't even mentioned.:(

Baby's name- I like 'Mbula' best.

17. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with you on both points. It annoys me that they can't manage to update the page, when other animal pages seem to have been updated quite recently.

Also, I voted for Mbula as it seemed very appropriate :)

18. Pertinax

it seems even sillier as they highlight the 'Family' section but it is hugely out of date and doesn't reflect the news about the birth at all. Just website slackness...:rolleyes:

19. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Just to update everyone that the new gorilla baby's name has been chosen ... it is Mbula :)

20. Pertinax

That is good.:) I've heard a rumor that the old male Kumba is dead, do you know anything about that?:(