Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Baby news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by beckiscott, 6 Jun 2009.

1. beckiscott

beckiscott Active Member

Went to the Zoo on Friday 5th June and got chatting with one of the carnivore team. who was quite happy to share the following information...

Red Panda is expected to give birth this month. Conditioning in her tail is poor which is usually a sign of being pregnant. The last cubs went to Dublin and Denmark.

Bush Dog is pregnant.

Red River Hog babies came last week - 3 cute stripy piglets were all out with the rest of the hogs.

He also said they've high hopes with the new Sumatran tigers, fingers crossed this will be Chesters' first successful breeding pair in 16 years.

Barbarusa will be going in the new enclosure (RORA) before end of June, and Otters will move in before them. They will then be part of a different staff'team'.
    The new enclosure appears to have a family of bunnies hopping around it - i counted 3 all having fun!
    Otter enclosure will be flattered straight away (although tree should remain) will be left for picnic / future development.

Other observations while out and about...
    Both baby o-rangs out on show, fortunately not too many school kids so managed to get a good photo of Kirana.
    One of the Cheetahs was separated from the other 3. Is this the new female?! I have lost track a bit with the coming / goings / plans with Cheetahs.
    Didn't see the new baby Rhino, but the older baby was out in the central paddock - he's grown so much!

Photos for those who wanna see are on my flickr Chester Zoo - a set on Flickr ; will try upload some here too.

2. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

The seperated cheetah is the new female that has been brought in.

3. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I went on Wednesday I saw them- cutest things I've ever seen? They seemed quite curious, and went up to one of the mongoose, who chased them back to mum.

4. beckiscott

beckiscott Active Member

Thanks for that LeeMac!

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know if Rick from Paignton is the father? The pair Paignton got in exchange - Pablo and Pumbaa - haven't managed to produce a live litter yet.

6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Isn't he the only male at Chester?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Ah - in that case he must be the father! He was by himself at Paignton for quite a while so I'm glad he's got some family life now.

8. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

Becki, your picture on Flickr of Kirana eating something bright yellow (pepper ?) is absolutely beautiful.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I can confirm he is the father of the young hogs,the youngsters could make it interesting now that the Yellow Mongooses also have a youngster.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Red River Hog- Does Chester still have two females- daughters of the previous pair that are now at Paignton? If so, presumably the 2nd sister may also produce piglets soon?

11. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a possibility that more could be produced soon :D

12. Pertinax

Good- they look more impressive the more there are- though obviously Chester can only keep a limited number in their group.. I saw some film footage of a wild herd in Africa- dozens of them in one big group!!

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It is impressive sight, seeing this and all the other species in the clearings in the jungles is a fantastic sight.

14. beckiscott

beckiscott Active Member

GillP, thanks!

Also forgot to mention. They filmed a special Zoo Days Tejas update show before Christmas, but is yet to be aired. Zoo Days is no longer being filmed, but Michaela Strachan was at the zoo for 5 weeks recently recording a new programme.

15. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

"Zoo Days is no longer being filmed" - as in, filming for that series or are they getting rid of Zoo Days too?

16. Pertinax

They would be the grandparents of these recent piglets at Chester though...:)

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Not a lot of consolation for Paignton visitors! I've seen them mating since they lost the last litter so may get to see hoglets yet. Unless they think that, as grandparents, all that is behind them......

18. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

The Strachan programme would be that babies programme wouldn't it?

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are 3 female red river hogs. A Przewalski's Horse also has a baby.

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Good news about the baby Horse pity the other females aren`t pregnant as a couple of young fowls always make the paddock interesting,also same the male died.