Join our zoo community

Bad customer service at zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by nanoboy, 2 Jun 2015.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Have you had bad customer service at zoos? I am sure that we all have some funny stories to share. My most recent experience wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things though:

I was the first visitor in the queue at an Aussie zoo a few weeks ago and by extension, I was possibly the first visitor that the 'ticket lady' dealt with for the day.

Me: Hi, good morning!
    She: How can I help you? (no smile, no eye contact)
    Me: One adult ticket please.
    She: That's $31.80.

I paid, she didn't make eye contact, didn't say "you're welcome" when I said "thanks", I had to ask for a map, and she didn't say enjoy your visit. Not exactly the best welcome to the zoo!

What are your stories?

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Might she have taken a quick glance and thought to herself 'OMG, I bet he's a ZooChatter'? :)
    To be serious, that's a poor show, although it's not a hanging offence. I can't recall anything similar happening to me.

Alan

Last edited: 2 Jun 2015
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

maybe she just thought you were being a jerk because you were only buying one ticket and leaving your wife to buy her own ticket?

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I've come across difficult members of staff when I've asked for more maps/leaflets/guides at varying facilities, or for help with things like transport or contacting a particular member of staff, but I can't think of any exceptionally poor customer service.

Having said that, a friendly and outgoing member of staff at the ticket desk is often responsible for starting the visit on a high note, and so if a thread like this exists we should also applaud zoos with outstanding customer service.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't remember ever meeting any rude zoo staff, but I have met numerous helpful ones.

Only thing that comes close was at Chester in the 1980s when I showed my membership card and the till lady said quite sharply, "and you're paying for the lady?"

I asked what lady? it turned out that while she was looking at my member's card a woman with a baby in a pushchair had walked straight in without payment.

i don't think my explaination of "she's not with me," was believed.

6. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

I took a lot of stuff to donate to a rescue centre, probably nearly £50 worth of stuff, the woman that took it from me made it feel like it was a massive inconvenience to take it.

Not bad service but at a well know UK zoo I heard a keeper say orangoutangs come from the same place as chimps. I hope to god she meant similar environment.

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Not at all! Back in the 1980s when I was in the UK, we had a strategy where my wife and the pram would walk straight past the ticket office while I distracted the member of staff. We have adopted this strategy in Australia as well where I say "she's not with me". :D

8. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I've seen people who have speech impediments completely ignored by exhibit interpreters when they ask questions. That really steamed me. Its not as if they were totally incomprehensible it was just taking them longer to ask their questions.

9. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have nothing outrageous or funny to report, but there has been multiple times of seeing zoo employees not wanting to be at their jobs.

10. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Not at zoos, but I've had a couple of veteran whale trainers at Sea World California look through me and mumble answers to a simple question, after the show, of course. Fortunately there were more nice ones that enjoyed chatting than there were who couldn't be bothered.