Join our zoo community

Bad Zoos Reformed

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by JigerofLemuria, 19 Sep 2022.

1. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm starting a brand new series of fantasy maps based on this principle; I'll take subpar, bad or downright awful zoos and turn them good! I have a few on the mind (Alexandria in Egypt, St. Petersburg, one of the many roadside zoos in the USA...), So I'll first show you what the zoo's current state is, and then contrast it with my own layout.
    I am open to proposals of zoos to reform! However, I ask you to bear in mind that this is one of several hobbies, so my content, while it will come out unless I announce cancellation, won't be released consistently. I hope you understand and, without further ado, I'll introduce the first zoo in the next post!

Corangurilla and Bengal Tiger like this.
  2. JigerofLemuria

First up for redemption is the Tirana Zoo, located in the capital city of Albania, in Southern Europe. Founded in 1966, this zoo is sadly considered, and I quote, "the worst zoo in Europe". And sadly, after doing research and my brother sending me pictures when he visited, I must admit that this claim isn't too far off.
    Map of the premises:
    [​IMG]

This zoo, which in recent year has basically become more of a glorified petting farm, keeps many of its animals, specifically those in the blue building on the bottom-right corner of the park, in very appalling cages that give circus conditions a run for their money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has reached the point where certain charities have come in to rescue many of the animals, including the three lions, from this institution, which has been blasted left and right by rather damning articles.

Lions rescued from 'Europe's worst zoo' still stranded in tiny pens

ALBANIA, TIRANA ZOO: ANIMALS IN TRAGIC AND MISERABLE CONDITIONS

Rescuers Save Wild Animals Trapped In Horrible Albanian Zoo - The Dodo

With all this controversy reaching international levels, the Tirana Zoo has put forth a relocation plan to improve the welfare of their animals. Whether or not this is carried out, and exactly when, is dubious for now.

Tirana’s New Zoo Set to Open Seven Years after Initial Promise - Exit - Explaining Albania

After all of this research, I've decided to put forth my own version of what I believe this zoo can be, which you will see in my next post.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Animal Haven Zoo would be an interesting zoo to look at - the owners are actually looking to sell the entire zoo in a few years, so if you want to try this in real life that's how you could.

BenFoxster and JigerofLemuria like this.
  4. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd say search up Zoo Atlanta. Before its renovation, it was literally considered one of the worst zoos in the country. Now it's one of the best.

5. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tirana Zoo closed, then reopened early this year. The new zoo is considerably better, I know someone who has visited it. The animals now have large outdoor enclosures.

6. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Audubon has a similar story, as do the smaller NYC zoos renovated by WCS

BenFoxster, steveroberts, JVM and 2 others like this.
  7. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

The Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium, and Safari Park (might need to give this one a new name) isn’t a bad zoo, but it could be a lot better. The aquariums are pretty decent, and I like the Safari park, but the base zoo is still outdated (save for Dragon World), and Adventure Land sucks (sure, put a rollercoaster in a llama exhibit, I’m sure they won’t mind).
    The highest praise I can give it is “pretty fly (for a roadside)”, but with the right touch-ups in the right areas, and a little more cohesion, it could rival the Phoenix Zoo! I’d like to see what you could do to this place.

8. JigerofLemuria

Wait... It's already open?! Sweet Jesus, where can I find pictures?! :D
    Well, that makes my map kinda pointless... But hey, It's already posted, and I'll post my reasons behind the design soon.

9. JigerofLemuria

Tirana Biopark
    With your typical hip, trendy name, the Tirana Biopark would be located in an entirely different location from the original zoo, perhaps in a large park on the outskirts of the city. i've divided it into six sections; Albanian water and farmyard, Albanian woods and mountains, African savannah, jungles, East Asia, and a mishmash of mostly South America and Australia, with a focus on aquatic creatures.
    Map:
    [​IMG]

With all of the zoos I'll reform, one of the main objectives is to give the species they already have and give them a much better home. Hence, I've decided that a large part of this new zoo would be dedicated to Albania's wildlife and domesticated animals. In order not to overinflate this zone, a couple of domestics, those being the water buffalo and llama, have been moved to other geographically appropriate zones.
    Considering the economic state of Albania, I decided to opt for very readily available zoo animals (don't worry, future maps will have more rarities in there), along with very native fauna (AKA all the Balkan domestic breeds rare elsewhere in Europe). In fact, the main reason why I chose a Mediterranean theme for the shark tank is that these are readily available, and heating wouldn't be as demanding as the more usual tropical reef sharks, and showcasing these more obscure sharks is always appreciated.

Tropical shark tank in Barcelona aquarium; approximate size and design of shark tank.
    [​IMG]

American alligator exhibit at Toronto Zoo (the pool is quite large); basic idea of the size of the alligator enclosure.
    [​IMG]

Capybara exhibit at the Berlin Zoo-Aquarium (I think); basic idea of the size of the Pampas paddock.
    [​IMG]

The overall architecture of the zoo would be very ecologically-oriented, with recycled wood, metals and other materials forming a large percentage of the infrastructure, giving the park a more inventive look. Most of the exhibits would be bordered off by a height difference (the front of the enclosure slanting downwards, increasing the height up to the low wooden fence), but there are differences; flying birds and the monkey gallery would be tall mesh aviaries, the petting zoo would have lowish wooden rail fences to better allow for guest interactions, moats for the chimpanzees, baboons and snow leopard, and large carnivores would mostly be surrounded by tall wooden or stone walls (all climb-proofed), visible through viewing gallery with tall plexiglass windows.

Cougar exhibit at the Paris Zoo; the style of viewing canopies would be present throughout the zoo, and this would be the general size and build of the snow leopard exhibit.
    [​IMG]

Latin American wetland aviary at Chester Zoo, basic idea of the size and design of the Albanian wetland aviary
    [​IMG]

Hippopotamus exhibit at the Beauval Zoo, basic idea of the size and design of the hippopotamus enclosure
    [​IMG]

Some of the main aims of the zoo are educating visitors about Albania's native wildlife, acting as an animal rescue center, raising awareness of environmental issues (which is the purpose of the Jane Goodall Primate Education Center), and inspiring love for wildlife for all ages, with kids being further encourages by shows at the Kids auditorium and discovery zone. Overall, I feel that this zoo would definitely encourage a very different, much better and more empathetic view of animals to anyone who visits.

Link to the map's page, including a full species list: Bad Zoos Reformed: Tirana Biopark - ZooChat

10. JigerofLemuria

Ok, I'll put it into consideration! The rollercoaster in the llama paddock though... And I thought I had seen it all! :rolleyes:

ifesbob and Corangurilla like this.
  11. JigerofLemuria

I've never heard of it before now, and the pictures look... Right up my alley for These kinds of project. Part of the fun of doing this is that I can create zoos around the world! (And thus, have more unique species selections)

BenFoxster and birdsandbats like this.
  12. JigerofLemuria

@tigris115 @Aardwolf
    I've only heard of those zoos in their good times, so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast them, thanks! :)
    Also, would you say that Staten Island Zoo would also be eligible? By what I've seen, it seems a bit subpar compared to the other New York Zoos (then again, I may be disinformed). Tell me what you think!

13. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

I would not consider Staten Island Zoo subpar by any means. Like every zoo (including those that we typically regard as "the best") there are things which could be improved upon, but I wouldn't consider it bad by any stretch of the word

TinoPup and JigerofLemuria like this.
  14. JigerofLemuria

Ok, thanks! I'm glad to see things are better than I thought! :)

15. pichu

pichu Well-Known Member

lupa zoo needs this treatment, tho its fairly small with few exotics besides local wildlife, some hoofstock and lemurs

the enclosures are crappy from the photos taken and shown here on zoochat

plz correct me if im wrong cause i havent been there yet

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Sep 2022
    JigerofLemuria likes this.
  16. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

You got discord? It's really annoying to send the images through on ZC.

17. pichu

pichu Well-Known Member

id say southwick's could use some, but they fixed the lemur enclosures

18. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here’s something for challenge mode: Yoshinori Horii’s Meccha Omiroi Doubutsuen. You can find the details on my thread about Horii’s antics.

19. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

The Tirana Zoo reminds me a short novel of the famous Albanian writer Ismail Kadare : "The Eagle" ("L'Aigle" in French).
    In this novel a (very small) zoo plays a central role as an allegory of communist and post-communist Albania.

20. JigerofLemuria

Good morning everyone.
    I just wanted to say that, while this project isn't dead, it's currently on hold; my phone broke over a month ago, and the cheap(er) replacement has appalling camera definition;all the maps look like a garbled mess. So until I get a new phone (or by some miracle I manage to communicate with my ***hole HP printer), this series is postponed. Sorry for any inconveniences.