Join our zoo community

Badoca Safari Park Badoca Safari Park

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by CindelP, 7 Mar 2009.

1. CindelP

CindelP Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just a small topic about this "recent" Zoo in Portugal. Opened in 2000 and was originally based on a Africa Savanha's Safari.

His main atraction is indeed the Safari, that houses common Africa Hoofstock, namelly Kongo's Bufallo (Syncerus caffer nanus), Springboks, Waterbucks, Kobos Leche (Kobus leche leche), Common WildBeest and White-Tailed WildBeest, Impalas, Sable Antilopes (Hippotragus niger), regular Zebras,Elands, Sitatungas and two males Giraffes (one adult and one young). Plus some cervids and a group of Simitar Oryx (Oryx dammah), borrowed from Lisbon Zoo.
    All these animals and some more are mixed and lived in free-range. Except for the giraffes, that are kept indoors in the winter and cold nights.

Besides these there're also Yaks, Llamas, Watussis, Bennets Wallabys, Marabous, ringtailed lemurs and red-bellied lemurs (Eulemur rubiventer).

If anyone opens a Gallery under the Badoca name, I'm pleased to share some pics.

Cheers

Last edited: 7 Mar 2009
  2. CindelP

CindelP Well-Known Member

On the 27th of April a Chimp was born to Jonas and Joana.

She's being hand-reared.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on the Angolan giraffe at Badoca Park? Just after establishing the Rothschild's giraffe breeding herd they lost one of their females. But it has been 3 years since. I would expect a replacement to have been found quite easily and the animals should be mature.

On another note: whatever happened to their hybrids which they had before:?
    These were males Niklas and Nelex from Kolmarden, an unidentified female and two more males from Knuthenborg Safari (Jambo and Twiga)

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some infos about the giraffes

They still have only one breeding female - Kimani (Rothschilds) from Zlin...since 2010....another one was Ashanti that died in 2011.
    They also have/had two male giraffes (Rothschild) Charlie and Theodor - think Charlie died 2018.
    In 2017 they get an yong bull from Basel - Makalo (Santiago), but I think he died shortly after the transfer but not sure.
    Also 2017 there was a female born - Niassa - she is still there.
    In 2018 another male came from the Netherlands......they call him Massai - but till today no idea his birthplace.
    2019 there was another birth - a male called Malawi. Second calf to Theodor and Kimani.
    So would be great to here more infos if possible.

6. OkapiJohn

OkapiJohn Well-Known Member

Hasn't the park also housed tigers in the past? I remember to have visited around 2006 and to see tigers. I think I have a guidebook as well with the species of the park