Join our zoo community

Bali zoo /peel zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoos Int, 1 Feb 2009.

1. Zoos Int

Zoos Int Well-Known Member

Hi All ,
    I have had a great deal of emails and calls re Bali zoo .Major questions are ,Is Peel Zoo involved in helping Bali Zoo
    (A) Yes we are very much so involved in helping the zoo .Bali zoo and its staff have become very good friends with us .We are in constant contact by phone ,sms ,email etc .The first 2 years we were back wards and forwards from Perth to Bali .The zoo is standing up right now and the team are working very ,very well .What was once a poor effort of a zoo its now alive again and the stench of disease is not one that greets you at the door .They have employed very professional vets and the animals diets are well regulated and delivered .
    They are expanding the zoo now to take in a new home for Jackie the Orangutan ,his life behind a boring concrete wall is about to change .Its been a pleasure to work with Bali zoo .I must say its not easy telling a director of another zoo his is a sad case .They let me stick my nose into the affairs of the zoo and tip the place upside down .The zoo had all the makings of a tropical paradise ,the only thing letting it down was the sick skinny animals and small habitats .Now after worming ,new habitats ,breeding programs and the like the chatter of happy animals is ever present .I am not saying we have been the big brave heroes here ,its nice to help now ,talk and plan the zoos future .I still go to the zoo when in Bali .At the end of the day my aim was to keep the zoo open and make for a happy life for animals and staff alike .
    We are now building a zoological school as well international student exchange in Pelaga ,Agro .Bali .The best way to save our planet and animals is education and cooperation between each other .My biggest hurdle in life is teaching fellow zoo keepers compassion .For some reason in Asia i found a great deal of zoo staff don't really consider the well being of example a sick monkey or civet lets say .Im not saying this is the case all over ,mainly in those parks that have needed help or education ...Out of mind out of sight seems to be the case .The Bali zoo was like this upon my arrival few years ago .Cages of monkeys ,owls etc etc all locked up in small cages no food ,water etc .I would see them dis guard a sick animal ,leave it in a corner to die .I set examples of asking one staff member to bring his young son the the zoo .Lock the kid in a cage for a minute and say ok lets leave him here for 5 years no food water .They soon got the idea .Sometimes they slipped back to old ways ,not often though .
    I welcome peoples questions as well feed back of other zoos that need help .
    Tony Peel Zoo | Wildlife Park | Mandurah |Western Australia / AsiaDana.com