Join our zoo community

Balkan Association of Zoos and Aquaria (BLAZA)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 11 Apr 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

If I ever open a zoo, I (we) will try to establish the Balkan Association of Zoos and Aquaria (BLAZA), that will include all zoos from the Balkans (Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, R. Macedonia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Croatia and Slovenia, and possibly other countries like Turkey, Cyprus, Moldova or even Italy or Ukraine).

The total number of zoos and aquaria in the Balkans is about 70 (mostly very small zoos in Romania - about 27).

The standards, of corse will be not so stringent and can't be (yet) as much stringent, as those from EAZA, because the main goal for assotiation would be coordinated breeding of the remaining taxa kept in these zoos, and those animals from these zoos who not participitate in EAZA breeding programes, as well creation of new programes for animals for wich there is no EEP or ESB, yet their number in captivity is significant. The other goal will be preventing of producing hybrid animals. Many zoos from this European region are substandard, and this is one of the poorest regions of Europe, with average sallaries that may be up to 5-10 times lower than some other non-Balkan European countries, yet in Europe. Every Balkan zoo will can become a member, regardless of the standards in that zoo, and aims would also be improving the standards for animal care. The association would act as combined zoo body.

I can remember of some more notiable zoo animals kept in all these zoos, like Asian elephants, chimpanzees, dolphins (Greece, Bulgaria), snow leopards, cassowaries, among many others, and with not any-two Western lowland gorillas, and most probably with just two orangutans in Belgrade, Serbia (Osijek zoo in Croatia?) :)

In former Yugoslavia (wich started crushing down in 1989 (the Year of snake in Chinese)), there were a lot of more zoos, with big animals, including in my living town of Prilep (73,000 inhabitans), wich had zoo until 1980s, with elephants, chimps, giraffes, rhinos, etc.. but that time wild animal imports were so common and easy.

Some examples of zoos from this region are:

Serbia: Belgrade zoo (Бео зоо врт), Palic zoo, Jagodina zoo.
    Croatia: Split zoo, Osijek zoo, Zagreb zoo (EAZA member) (Zooloski vrt grada Zagreba).
    Slovenia: Ljubljana zoo (EAZA member), Maribor aquarium.
    R. Macedonia: Skopje zoo (Зоолошка градина Скопје), Bitola zoo (Зоолошка градина Битола).
    Bulgaria: Sofia zoo, Stara Zagora zoo, Varna aquarium, Varna dolphinarium, Plovdiv zoo (Зоопарк Пловдив).
    Greece: Attica zoological park (EAZA member), Cretaquarium Crete.
    Cyprus (geographically in Asia): Pafos zoo.

And also, EAZA recommends establishing regional associations.

Any one zoochatter from Balkans that can add or express his opinion on this? And any other zoochater?

Last edited: 12 Apr 2016
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Look at Zootierliste, here's an index with all known zoos in Europe. You can search by country an for example alone for Bulgaria it lists 19 zoological collections.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you. To be honest, I look from Wikipedia - List of zoos, altough may not be very accurate. I will check at Zootierliste too.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

And hence the stated (mine statement) of total number of about 70 zoos (sourced from Wikipedia, List of zoos) and aquaria is not true, and the number is greater.

5. Nikola Chavkosk

Here is also investigation carried out by Born free foundation, about conditions of zoos in Bulgaria:

Bulgaria zoo report2

And zoos in other EU-countries:

Country Reports

from 2011, surely many zoochatters are familliar with these publications.