Join our zoo community

Balkan zoos news

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 18 Jun 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana, no, this is a third species of Fiji iguana, namely Brachylopus balabula (Fiji short-crested iguana) (endangered species) held in 7 zoos in Europe. The critically endangered Fiji crested iguana (Brachylophus vitiensis), according to Zootierliste is not present in European zoos. It is confusing, when I read this too for the first time I thaught that it is the better-known Fiji-crested iguana.
    And of course, the most wide-spread-in zoos Fiji iguana, is the Fiji banded iguana (Brachylopus fasciatus).

Fiji short-crested iguana is qute a new species for the European zoos, first time appearing in 2009 (probably from private breeders) (in Zoo de Beauval, France and in Costwold Wildlife park, UK). Zagreb zoo got them in 2014.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2017
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Balabula first appeared in private breeders' circles. Zoos lagged behind a bit and were perhaps not so ready to recognize there are actually 3 Fiji iguana species. Some hybridization unfortunately occurred. The pure balabula is now also better established in zoos.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As far as I'm aware, there are no Fiji crested iguanas in the US. However, there seems to be some disagreement as to what we actually have: Seeking Out The Fiji Crested Iguana (scroll down to "The Banded Iguanas of Fiji"). I have no other info on that situation other than this article, though.

And thanks for making this thread Nikola!

Kifaru Bwana and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@jayjds2, sorry for the misrepresentation of the facts. I was falsely under the impression somehow San Diego had vitiensis ..., whereas they are big on a new project in Fiji with the species .... they are sadly enough not exhibiting nor breeding the species.

BTW: much of this thread where this pertains to the Fiji iguanas is actually deserving of a separate thread, I believe.

Coming back to the Zagreb import of reptiles: I will recheck the LA Zoo minutes shortly.

jayjds2 likes this.