Join our zoo community

Ballarat Wildlife Park Ballarat Wildlife Park news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kiang, 16 Apr 2010.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting addition, I wonder where in the park the exhibit will be.

The article also notes that the park is hoping to add exotic mammal and bird species to its collection soon, which is surprising. It will be very interesting to see what species they do add.

I visited the park earlier this year, but haven't done a report so I should do that at some stage. It was looking good though, especially the big new crocodile barn with underwater viewing.

7. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not exactly surprised they would add exotic birds and mammals as they have a good range of exotic reptiles already. They do have some alpacas if you can count them, to protect the wallabies etc from foxes. Primates and some parrots will be a great new draw card for the park.

8. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I thought most of their visitors were overseas visitors, so natives would be the main drawcard? I guess the exotics might attract a few Australian visitors, but a few parrots won't make much difference - and will put them more in competition with the local bird park. Some primates would be popular though.

9. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ballarat Bird Park is no competition to them, they have a limited collection of mostly native parrots housed in hard to see into, typical backyard style aviaries. The larger exotic parrots, macaws etc always make a good exhibit imo

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tigergal, PAT and Jambo like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

That’s surprising! An interesting addition..I hope the tigers moving there aren’t any of Australia Zoo’s genetically valuable tigers, that were bred in the past few years (unfortunately this seems likely). I assume the zoo will only acquire tigers as ambassadors, and not for a breeding situation.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

*If* they're the two males that I think they'll be then they are genetically valuable on there mothers side. But not much use to the breeding programme currently because of their father's bloodline..

Scout - born 02/2016 to Kaitlyn and Juma.

Kaitlyn was one of the trio imported from Taman Safari in 2007 and hence any of her offspring are good news for the breeding programme.

Unfortunately AZ took the decision to breed her with Juma. Rather than import a more valuable male. Juma was one of AZ's original Sumatran Tiger's and was born at Mogo in 2004. His parents were both from the Nico/Meta line that most of the other Sumatran's in Australia/New Zealand originate from.

Reggie - born 03/2016 is Scout's half brother/cousin. Born to Maneki (Kaitlin's sister) and Juma. So same genetics as above

14. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

If you imported a valuable new male to breed with your valuable new female then all you succeed in doing is turning two valuable new bloodlines into one! I think the TAG co-ordinator knows what their doing. The aim is not to increase the captive population Sumatran tigers. The aim to slow the loss of genetic diversity.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  15. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited Ballarat last week and thought I would provide a few updates.

- The meerkat enclosure is located between the entrance and giant tortoise exhibit and has both an outdoor glass fronted yard as well as an indoor house with a glass viewing window.

- The tiger exhibit construction is well advanced with the majority of the fencing appearing complete. The exhibit is separated in to 2 yards. On this map -https://wildlifepark.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/BWP-Ed-Package-Park-Map.pdf the site closed for construction takes up the exhibits marked for quokka, wallaby and red kangaroo. The aviary marked for cockatoos and parrots has been removed.
    The site fenced off for construction is quite extensive and the tiger enclosure only takes up 1/3 of the space so more enclosures may be developed there.

- In the reptile house a stud wall has been built down one corridor with 5 new tanks in it for aquatic species. The species on display are juvenile saltwater crocodiles and American alligators, macleay's water snake, a catfish species and an australian lungfish.

- The penguin area has had shade sails added over the water and a new seating area built for presentations along with a small kids sand pit.

16. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t know what happened to importing the two male tigers from Australia zoo but from this facebook post: Ballarat Wildlife Park it appears Maneki from Australia zoo, is the only tiger at the park.

Maneki is now currently on display after she arrived earlier this month.

17. WhistlingKite24

Jungle Man and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

Ballarat Wildlife Park have announced the arrival of a Komodo Dragon. It (the sex of the animal is not explicitly mentioned but presumably a male) is called Toothless and is one of the dragons imported from Prague. Ballarat now have two Komodo Dragons.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2020
    Antoine likes this.
  19. WhistlingKite24

Wow, really sad news.:( Maneki the Sumatran Tiger has been put to sleep due to a terminal illness. She only produced one cub at Australia Zoo and was one of the genetically valuable animals imported from Indonesia.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What a bummer.

I really can never get my head around the fact that genetically valuable individuals - one in a million imports (as Sumatran tigers overseas are more or less all from the same limited gene pool) - and you do not breed up the numbers nor have the genes circulated within your population proper. Somehow, a failure of good animal management and wasting ex situ breeding ops.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2020
    Zorro likes this.