Join our zoo community

Ballarat Wildlife Park Ballarat Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'Australia' started by normaeinstein, 9 May 2010.

1. normaeinstein

normaeinstein Active Member

I visited Ballarat Wildlife Park on Saturday and found most of it really quite good. I thought a little more enviroment enrichment for the tassie devils could've been helpful, but most captive devils do develop the usual stereotypie of running non stop around the enclosure all day though.

Was impressed with their tassie devil breeding statistics, they seem to be doing well there.

Was not impressed with the state of the alligator "enclosure". Small, dark and dank. Has anyone else seen this? I didn't have time to see the reptile house unfortunately but did hear that they have the only pair of breeding saltwater crocodiles in Australia, so they must be doing something right there.

On their entrance path, they were displaying the large photo posters of crocodiles that Melbourne zoo were displaying in the main drive about six months ago. Does anyone know about that?

2. torie

torie Well-Known Member

The only pair of breeding saltwater crocs hey? I'm sure there are quite a few croc farmers who would care to dispute that one!

animal_expert01 likes this.
  3. normaeinstein

normaeinstein Active Member

Ha! Definately. I should've said the only zoo in Australia. That's what the zoo pamphlet said anyways.:)

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And a zoo or two as well!!!!

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Our baby croc was bred and parent raised at Taronga. . . haha Ballarat may need to change that.. . :)

6. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between and Parent Raised and Handraised Croc Jarkari?

Do they make Roudybush for crocs ;)

7. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Shutup Benjamin :)

The crocs we usually use are taken from their parents younger and handled before sent to educators. This one was not. It was 2.5 years before coming. Just stating it as ARKS does ;)

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They might've meant Victoria. I can't think of any others down here.

9. wombat

wombat Member

The posters they have in their entrance are photos of the Ballarat wildlife parks crocodilians! The breeding of the crocs refers to the artificial environment they have I think. The alligators seem ok they open up the outside for them and swap them around during breeding times. I patted one of the recently bred baby alis!

10. jinxs

jinxs New Member

Their information has always been out dated or grossly miss-interpreted .

11. NickPetropoulos

NickPetropoulos Member

GDay. unsure of exactly when you visited but as the reptile keeper at balarat would be glad to clear things up, while we certianly do not have the only breeding pair of crocodiles, to our knowledge they are they only breeding pair in victoria, the park was also the second place (behind melbourne zoo) to breed salt water crocodiles in an artificial environment (outside the tropics)
    As for the alligators, whilst i can assure you all our gators are in excellent help, i must agree i am looking forward to trying to upgrade their enclosure where possible, however im am sure most zoochat members are aware of the scale of running a zoo, husbandry comes first, aesthetics come second