Join our zoo community

Bang Saen Aquarium

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Peter Dickinson, 22 Jan 2011.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

nice report Peter, which pretty much echoes my thoughts on the Bang Saen aquarium. I really didn't think much of the Pattaya Underwater World even though (at least at the time of my visit in 2006) it was the flashier of the two. But I did like this one at Bang Saen very much. And it was likewise full of locals and no tourists when I was there. I've got photos of both establishments in the Zoochat gallery unless they've been purged, including one of the "pregnant" seahorse graphic which I really liked. There was some renewal work going on when I was visiting so I suspect the aquarium has changed quite a bit now though.

A couple of notes on your review: regarding the multiple octopuses in the tank, most octopus are either territorial or cannibalistic hence the reason you normally see only one per tank, but there are several small species that are quite compatible and even live in small colonies. Its just a matter of choosing the right species for your display.

When I was there they did have both turtles and small sharks in a circular pool outside the main part of the aquarium building. They may be gone now. There was a sign over the pool saying not to put your hands in the water :)

3. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comments. I did read your report this morning but did not view the photos.
    I suspect little has changed since your visit. I suspect the space where the sharks and turtles were is now a static dry educational display. There was something about that space that I thought was wrong.
    No jellyfish now and a lot less seahorses it would seem.
    I would have liked to have seen the laboratory side of things. Maybe another day.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well my report was just taken from my blog so its rather sparse on details. Also I just checked the gallery and all the Bang Saen photos are gone :(