Join our zoo community

Banham Zoo Banham Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 14 Mar 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No appropriate thread for this so started a news thread for Banham.
    According to ISIS they now have a pair of red titi.
    Along with 0.2 Pallas cats

2. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went to Banham Zoo maybe 6 weeks ago or so, and they indeed had two Pallas Cats.

Round with all the other cats, next to the Ocelots and Geoffroy's cats. Fennec Foxes are down there as well. Not sure what they've moved out, is that where Servals and Fishing Cats used to be? Not been for a couple of years, and both of them were missing.

3. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pallas Cats - EXCELLENT! I don't remember seeing any Servals on my previous visits there (2005 was the most recent I think), but they did have Fishing Cats so presumably that's what they have replaced.

Also, what kind of enclosure are the Fennec Foxes in, as last time I went they were near the Sealions? And also, has the new Snow Leopard enclosure been built yet?

4. Richie Hell

Snow Leopard was still being built. If we're thinking of the same thing, the old Fennec Fox enclosure now houses Armadillo, and the Fennecs have an enclousre like the cat ones - an indoor house with viewing window, and then an outdoor enclosure with glass panels and wire mesh.

5. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

When to Banham yesterday and the new snow leopard enclosure is finished and opened and there is meant to be tiger cubs but didn't see them also one of their cheetah cubs died and the other one went to their sister park Africa Alive!.

6. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

also there is a baby siamang, baby white faced saki, and baby Ruppel Griffon Vulture and 2 baby giraffes

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am particularly happy with the vulture breeding success at Banham. Too few zoos invest in establishing breeding pairs for these endangered birds (the Indian vulture crisis has reached East Africa with Diclofenac available under another name + a drug called Flurosan (I think I spell that correctly from memory).

8. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the update; I like Banham a lot, but it's been a while since I went there sadly.

Just a few questions though: where is the new Snow Leopard enclosure sited, and what's it like? Also, are the other small cat enclosures still there, and is there any news on new housing for any of the lemurs?

Any extra info would be much appreciated. :)

9. Richie Hell

The new Snow Leopard enclosure is opposite the small cat enclosures, which are still there.

It's a pretty good enclosure. Good size, rocks to climb on, though a bit sparse at the moment, presumably because it is so new. There's pictures in the gallery.

Don't know about Lemur housing, but it looks fairly new and not likely to need replacing. The Marmoset and Tamarin house is next to be re-developed by the looks of it.

10. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Some good news from Banham Zoo. On Thursday Banham took delivery of a Grevy's Zebra Stallion! For those of you who don't know, this makes a total of three Grevy's and a potential mate for the other two female Zebra. His name is Stefan and he came from somewhere in Germany but I dont know where. He can be seen in the stable yards adjacent to the Zebra paddock.

In other news, next week will see the arrival of a female Lesser Panda from Whipsnade. This will be a companion and potential mate for the existing male who has been on his todd for some time.
    :D

Ciao for now!

11. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Yep saw the female red panda today but no male. Also only saw two female zebras.

12. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

A male Von Der Decken's Hornbill was sent to Banham Zoo on 13th November 2009 from Paradise Park.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jonathan the giraffe has left to join the batchelors at Port Lyme.

14. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any information about new developments at Banham?

We all know there websites for both Banham and Africa Alive are hopeless.
    Does anyone have any information on new exhibits for the future?

15. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Banham Zoo is currently in the process of building a walk-through aviary for Rainbow Lorikeets.

16. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

2 Geoffroy's cat born.

I also like the added cameroon sheep to the giraffe exhibit to eat the grass around the walk way the giraffe walkway.

17. Nisha

Ruby the Giraffe has moved onto the Blair Drummond recently

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume Ruby was one of their hybrids ...???
    What is the long-term plan for giraffe at Banham? :confused:

Any indication the zoo is planning for (future) all pure-breds of one of the given (sub-)species?

19. Nisha

Vasya one of the Amur Tigers has now moved onto Riga Zoo in Latvia. A female should be arriving before the end of 2010 as a mate for his brother who is remaining at Banham. No idea yet as to where she will come from. The zoo now has 2:0 who are father and son

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Banham have kept Grevy's Zebras for a long time but have they ever bred one? I have visited several times in the past (mostly 1990's) and have seen at least two previous different males there (prior to this one) but no foals.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.