Join our zoo community

Barbary Apes, Singes Magot, Barbary Macaques around the World

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by mlbenrabah, 4 May 2015.

1. mlbenrabah

mlbenrabah New Member

Hello,

I am writing in hopes to be able to ask a few questions about the total number of Barbary macaques in captivity in zoos and primate facility/centres that members know of. I am a graduate student who completed a recent population count of the remaining wild populations in Algeria. Currently i am working on completing a studbook inventory of all the captive population counts worldwide. It would be instrumental for the long term conservation of the species to gather such information for conservation organizations such as IUCN and CITIES records.

If possible would you please provide the species count as well as Sex and Approximate age. Any resulting publications will be referenced and attributed to according to facility correctly!

Thank you in advance. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

M. Lamine Benrabah, BSc | MSc
    [email protected]
    College of Life Science
    Joseph Banks Laboratory JBL1002
    University of Lincoln, Brayford Pool, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. LN6 7TS
    Cell: +44 (0)7771022091

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Toronto Zoo used to have a good sized group. Today they are down to three older females. Zsa Zsa is the oldest and lives off display because she cannot get along with the others. Pinky and Shannon are slightly younger and live in the exhibit but it is only visible from the zoomobile route.

The zoo had three more males Rocky and Blue as well as another female Leah. They lived in a separate troop. Blue is missing a leg due to cancer. Last year they were transferred out. I believe they went to Safari Niagara. They have a troop there. I dont know about those animals.

Sorry not a ton of info but its a start for you.

3. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

the best source is Sian Waters (BMAC | Barbary Macaque Awareness & Conservation) who holds the studbook for the species. There are few specimens outside Europe. There is an unknown number of animals in zoos/rescuer centers that do not participate to the studbook.

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

The database ZIMS might also be helpful. They might be able to give you all the information directly, otherwise a member institution might need to pass on the information to you.

5. mlbenrabah

mlbenrabah New Member

Thank you for the feedback thus far. I have been in contact with Sian Waters and have a copy of the studbook. I am compiling an inventory of the Global captive population. The studbook has been very helpful and contains useful information. However, it focuses on european centres and does not include all the institutes/parks/zoos which hold the species in Europe. In addition there is no information from non-european centres. This would be effective for conservation measures