Join our zoo community

Barbary Macaques - are they becoming the new Meerkats

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 13 Nov 2020.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know if its my imagination but Barbary Macaques seem to be springing up at several collections are they going to be the next tick box ticked or is there another reason for it - most seem to be coming from the rescue centre in Holland ?

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are endangered so they do need (and have) a breeding program. They could be all over Europe but since they are primates they wont be around globally.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I think they've actually been disappearing from UK collections a tad! :eek:

4. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

....They are?

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to ZTL, 154 collections have Barbary macaques. I must admit that is a higher figure than I expected. 544 collections have meerkats. That 390 gap is still quite high.

6. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have they? At least JF is a new holder :)

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are only 10 holders in the UK, of which 3 are monkey 'sanctuaries', 2 safari parks and one largely a farm park, hardly common in zoos here compared to Meerkat (over 100 including minor places not listed on ZTL), Asian small clawed otters, Red-necked Wallaby, ring-tailed lemurs, Squirrel monkeys.......

marmolady likes this.
  8. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not suggesting at all they are getting anywhere near the above - it just seems to me that all of a sudden they have started becoming popular in zoos i remember seeing my first group at chessington in the late 1970's early 80's and not seeing them again till about 5 years ago monkey haven,woburn , kent place ive forgotten the name of now at jimmys - i'm all for more macaques would like to see more pig tailed ,crab eating and rhesus to be honest

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I liked seeing Toque macaques at Strasbourg Zoo. I spent a long time looking at how they interacted. Even my friend seemed interested, even though she wasn't bothered when we went to Cologne's Saki and Uakari House in 1982.

10. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

In my opinion are babary macaques one of the best possible primate species to keep in zoos. They are first of all very popular (well most monkey species are). But they are in particular a very active species. They are aswell one of the most easy to keep species too. They don't need specialized food, they are unlike any other primate species (besides the japanese macaques) able to handle colder tempartures in winter (which means they don't need a large indoor space, which in gneral is one of the major problems of keeping primates in many zoos, both for costs and animal welfare). They are aswell well suited for both walk trough and mixed species enclosures. And unlike meerkats an endangered species, which is another major reason for keeping them. And even though, that they are one of my favourite primate species overall. They are for me aswell the "average monkey" species. Which comes mostly that they are the second monkey species are I every saw, and are infact the mascot of my local Zoo (Naturzoo Rheine). Where they have a marvelous walk trough exhibit, with the exact strengths I talked about. Espicially for smaler zoos and zoos in colder regions are they a perfect species too keep.

11. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

(ahem) hoped we could start to shake that title by now and start being referred to as a "wildlife park", but never mind. ;) triggered!:D

As for us getting barbary macaques....it came down to a discussion about what was hardy enough to live in a relatively exposed area of the wildlife park during the winter months, what was endangered and in need of our contribution to the breeding programme, and what we could do to help some rescues that had a rough life. We threw around a fair few different suggestions for primate species, but this was the only one that could tick each box for us right now.:)

I don't think they'll be the new meerkat though. There are many many other species waiting in line for that!

FBBird, pipaluk, TNT and 1 other person like this.
  12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This wasn't intended as an insult and you are getting there, the macaques will certainly help!

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Nov 2020
  13. mrcriss

....as well as the camels, anteater, tapir, crocodiles, reindeer, guanacos, ratites, capys, pelicans etc.;):D

pipaluk likes this.
  14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the same time, several species of officially threatened macaques: bonnet, toque, tonkean, moor and bear are becoming extinct in European zoos. I hope Barbary macaques will be demoted to small institutions without heated quarters, and other macaques will take place in larger zoos!

15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Simply huge numbers of Barbary Macaques are currently surplus on ZIMs, presumably looking for new holders.
    EAZA has all species of Macaque listed for 'phasing out' - excepting only Barbary, Lion-tailed and Celebes Black - so if the large zoos with heated quarters want to keep anything else, they will have to break EAZA membership rules.
    So - if other species survive in Europe, they will be in non-EAZA collections.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2020
  16. TeaLovingDave

It's a pity Japanese are being phased out - much more attractive than Barbary, in my opinion, and even better suited for European climates - but it cannot be helped, really.

17. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

this is how the modern zoo should work. Phase out commen animals for endangered species

mrcriss likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

More collections by far already hold Barbary than do Japanese :p so I don't think they need the additional space getting rid of Japanese would create - but you are correct that Barbary are the rarer in the wild.... although two of the species being phased out are lower in wild population than Barbary.

pipaluk likes this.
  19. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

edit - I had only scanned ZIMs in passing, but a closer (albeit still brief) look just now, shows 88 Barbary Macaques surplus in Europe...
    and 77 Meerkats...

Last edited: 22 Nov 2020
  20. mrcriss

Are you talking within BIAZA and EAZA collections, or a wider worldwide search? I limited mine to solely BIAZA & EAZA and there were only 7.2 available