Join our zoo community

Barbary Macaques - are they becoming the new Meerkats

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 13 Nov 2020.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The above post by @Mr. Zootycoon is exactly on point, and is the argument I generally make to others with regard to the much-lamented homogenization of American zoo collections. Knowing from experience of reading genetic profiles and sustainability designations for zoo populations, few species can maintain high gene diversity with populations below 100-150 individuals - although worth noting that one group which can fare better genetically with lower populations are large monkeys and apes, due to their longevity and (in many cases) social systems that facilitate keeping mid-sized or large breeding groups (which lowers the number of facilities needed to maintain a viable population).

Where the potential for disagreement comes in, I believe, is on the margins: given how much space exists for macaques in European zoos, what is the maximum number of sustainable populations that can be kept? Is it three, more than three, or possibly even less than three? That is on top of genetic concerns that most of us won't know because we don't necessarily have access to that level of information; even large populations can be so genetically mismanaged that their long-term viability is compromised. Hence my earlier question of whether genetics or space was the larger concern here.

It seems clear, at least, that there is a much larger amount of space in European zoos for macaques than is currently being used by the three recommended species - which already have fairly large populations (Barbary and lion-tailed in particular). That's why I wonder how much space is potentially available to include one or two other populations in long-term planning - though which species that might be is beyond my analytical abilities here.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.