Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Barcelona municipal council and Zoo XXI initiative

Discussion in 'Spain' started by JigerofLemuria, 14 Feb 2019.

1. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry... :oops:
    Then again, these people are so hateful I wouldn't be surprised if even my typo was actually correct.

2. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any clue on when the zoo will start fasing them out or removing them from the collection? Or when the zoo is going to start construction for their change of plans in general?

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This demand from the AW extremists would absolutely contravene European and Spain's very own oversight laws governing the maintenance of exotic species in captivity.

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ehh? If they don't breed their animals for a little while it shouldn't be a big issue (I think). If anything it might buy us time for Barcelona Zoo to try and find a escape-route from this disaster.
    Yes, they have some species that if possible should be bred to keep bloodlines and conservation going. But a quick ZTL shows me that they definitely don't need to breed *everything*; ex; capybaras and zebras.

It sucks, definitely, but if this is what's needed for a while then so be it. For short-term it probably won't hurt, in the long-run it probably will hurt the most.

Also, how's it going with the whole Barcelona deal around sending their conservation needing species away to other facilities? I know it's not easy to just send away like a rhinoceros or a leopard to a zoo if they aren't prepared, but is it a possibility that Barcelona may be looking at with the EAZA? To send animals that have importance to studbooks and breeding programmes to other zoos? If they would be able to do that then it wouldn't hurt Barcelona zoo much to not be allowed to breed apart from missing out on a great marketing aspect for zoos; babies.

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I care less about the immediate influence this decision (might) has/have, but more the long term impact, specially the "signal" for animal rights activits in other regions and countries.

What bothers me: Last week I thought that the most "weird" (I would like to use another, less appropriate term) people live in Basle after refusing the "construction schedule/Richtplan" for the Ozeanium (saying that as as Swiss!). But know, the responsible authorities/politicians in Barcelone are the new leaders....

8. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's the part that worries me the most. I hate to use the "slippery slope" argument, but if the activists can successfully lobby for changes that suit their agenda to a well-established European zoo, what's to say other zoos in the West aren't at risk?

9. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

EDIT: "But now" not "know", sorry.

(Is there no more Edit function?)

10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Important stuff: how much money is allocated for improvements of animals spaces? Any plans to rebuild? Or in three months nothing actually happened?

I am especially sorry for the bottlenose dolphins, which have sex for pleasure and have no contraceptives.

I guess zoo staff should make a demonstration on behalf of female animals: activists, hands off my belly! ;)

11. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...actually, it seems that the organization successfully lobbying against the Ozeanium in Basel and for the 'zoo XXI' transformation of Barcelona are one and the same.

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  13. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is actually the most idiotic thing I've ever seen animal rights groups do and I hope to God that the EAZA can grow a pair and oust them as they are ruining everything for everyone. Like if they try this sorta crap with the Bronx Zoo, I'm fighting it as hard as I can.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
  14. Jurek7

Do I understand right that activists delayed everything for a year? Many animals will die of old age waiting for their brave new future.

15. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Exactly, there will be a year of uncertainty now. I just hope they won't give in to these "people" (they're more like wailing banshees to me)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Well said zoomaniac !

I totally agree and inevitably situations like this are now going to crop up more and more in other regions and countries.

17. Jurek7

I am more concerned about welfare of animals than activists.

However, currently the group 'managing' Barcelona Zoo is making a very good example not to give animal rights activists influence any zoo or similar institution.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I'm a bit late to this , but I have to say that I like the first category of focus on Iberian and Mediterranean species. I think of all of these updates this is the most encouraging to read.

If the activists were to succeed in removing all of the other animals apart from the native species (and their conservation programes) it would still be a reason for hope for the continuation of the zoo and a victory for conservation over human stupidity.

Personally I think that when even the ex situ conservation programes of native species are subjected to this kind of stupidity by "animal rights" campaigns that there is a dire reason to worry.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2019
  19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

That's like saying that you like the idea to mesmerize all your money and let only some spare money because you still can use it. Or that you like the idea that a restaurant reduces its supply of food and serve only bananas, because bananas are still good. Or that you like the idea that children in school learn only maths instead all kind of things, because maths are still useful for life. Etc etc etc...

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Interesting and rather bizarre attempt at interpretation / "divination" of what I said , but no , no es lo que quise decir.

Actually what I was trying to articulate was an observation that there are gradations of negative changes made to zoos and the most catastrophic IMO would be/ is the scrapping of programes for the conservation of native biodiversity and endangered species.

Why ?

Well , self evidently because these programes are the most immiediately relevant and pertinent to the reality of the conservation of Spain's fauna. Many zoos worldwide have ex-situ programes for the exotic species such as elephants, oryx etc. , but how many institutions have programes for the Iberian wolf or the Montesny brook newt ?

Furthermore, how many have achieved what Barcelona zoo has managed to achieve over the years in terms of supporting In-situ conservation of ecosystems and species in Catalonia ?

There are a lot of interesting endemic species in Spain and (as I've seen in first hand experience) the Iberian penninsula is one of the most biodiverse rich regions of Europe. It would therefore be a far greater tragedy IMO if programes for the ex-situ conservation of these species were shut down even in a single Spanish zoological institution.

In essence it would be a significant loss for Spanish conservation due to the feckless knee jerk stupidity of animal rights activists.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2019