Join our zoo community

Barleylands Farm Park Barleylands Farm Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 21 Oct 2021.

1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Not a collection that I had previously heard of but saw today that they rather excitingly hold four-eyed opossum (as well as a range of farmyard animals, 'farmyard' exotics like meerkat, and raptors). Looking forward to a visit very soon.

[​IMG]

2. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

3. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, past the typically species and the farmland, the collection is quite good. Tailess tenrec, jerboa, Long-eared hedgehog, casque-headed iguana, African house snake and a nice selection of birds-of-prey. I'll take a look in if I'm anywhere near it.

oflory likes this.
  4. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Something I forgot to mention was that the rare and exotic species are not owned by the farm, but the imperial bird of prey academy which operates on their land

5. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today to take part in their nocturnal experience and sad to announce they only have one four-eyed opposum remaining. For anyone planning a visit I would go sooner rather than later as the remaining female is heading towards her twilight year(s). They also lost their long eared hedgehog recently, and no longer hold jeroboa.

6. oflory

You must have been there at roughly the same time that I was there. Glad to know about the jerboas, as I spent quite a long time looking for them.

I wonder if you took any notes about the birds of prey - especially the eagle owls. I have in my notes that there were Bengal and African striped eagle owls on display but am certain I didn't write down one of the species. Presumably it was Eurasian, but it is annoying me!

Additionally, for any other visitors, the farm area is worth exploring, as they have some beautiful Oxford Sandy and Black piglets as well as an enormous and charming walk-through aviary with various 'pet-shop' finches and canaries (but which makes a good display).

7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They had a Eurasian crossed with something else, but can't remember what it was, possibly Siberian...

oflory likes this.
  8. oflory

Brilliant, thank you!

9. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to ZTL the collection no longer holds the species but I can't find a source corroborating this. Does anyone have any further information or did the female just pass away without any public acknowledgement from the zoo?