Join our zoo community

Battle for the Elephants

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Buldeo, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

This is my first thread, so please be kind. :)

National Geographic has been trailing behind the BBC's now famed Natural History Unit in terms of output and quality over the past few years. There was The Last Lions in '11 and suddenly nothing.

So it was with some surprise that I stumbled upon an ad for the forthcoming Battle for the Elephants in the latest issue. Debuting Stateside on the 27th of February, the program

The series is set to debut on your local PBS station, so check local listings for airtime as always. No word on the possibility of our overseas friends to check it out yet, though.

The PBS site: Battle for the Elephants

National Geographic's companion article from October 2012: Blood Ivory

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm glad to see that they are making documentaries for PBS still. especially about elephants and the conservation crisis. Hopefully it will get much attention and viewership.

I'm guessing that one of the reasons their PBS association is sporadic is that they now have their own channel to make stuff for.

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Isn't it preaching to the converted though? Don't people who have Nat Geo already into conservation and have some awareness of these issues? Does anyone watch PBS, or is it all MTV and HBO?

4. DavidBrown

Does anybody watch MTV anymore?

Yes, people watch PBS. It's audience tends to like science, news, and conservation. Lots of people don't know about elephants, so any programming like this is useful.

5. nanoboy

I have no idea what kids watch. I should ask Thylo et al what the hottest music station is.

Why I ask, is that we have a new TV station here targeting Aborigines (or if it makes you sleep better at night, Native Australians :p). Anyway, highlighting Aboriginal issues there isn't heard by the wider community because no one else really watches it, and Aborigines already know what they experience daily anyway. I think Aboriginal issues would get far better coverage on prime time on one of the more popular channels.

So I wonder if it's the same thing with these docos on Nat Geo and PBS. Even if you aren't aware of the plight of the elephant, you quite like nature anyway, and weren't going to buy ivory anyway. Shouldn't these docos be shown in China and SE Asia instead to highlight elephants' plight to the very people responsible for killing them? Or at the very least, at prime time on popular American channels, and on Chinese/Vietnamese channels that serve the immigrant community?

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which one?

7. DavidBrown

The ivory story has been getting relatively heavy play in the news media here in the U.S. I think that "60 Minutes" did a story on it, which is about the most prominent attention that a news story can get from a U.S. broadcast network. Elephant conservation organizations are working with Chinese media partners to get out the story. I subscribe to the "Save the Elephants" newsfeed on Facebook and it looks like several organizations are doing exactly what you propose based on press releases and interviews that I see coming through that.

8. nanoboy

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

10. nanoboy

That's great news David. Thanks for sharing. I recall another thread (probably one that you started) that mentioned Yao Ming on billboards declaring his disdain for ivory. If the cameras followed him around in Africa, that would have been a fantastic reality doco to show on Chinese TV. (Maybe there is something in the pipeline....)

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It seems like a weird name. I wonder if they will get the ridiculously lame game shows and hysterical subtitles we get on Maori TV, where even slang terms like "cuz" are subtitled as "cousin". :D

12. nanoboy

According to some of your previous posts, it looks like you will be around these here parts for a few years to see for yourself. :p

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

True. I guess I will become addicted to the lame game shows there too... :D

14. nanoboy

I watch 'Deal or no deal' and 'Millionaire hot seat' whenever I can, along with the quiz shows. Good stuff.

15. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks nanoboy. I had never heard of this one.

Imparja started off as a primarily aboriginal TV station in central Australia but eventually had to broaden it's appeal.

16. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

If somebody is interested, the WWF is just running a petition to stop ivory trade in Thailand.

17. DavidBrown

nanoboy (and anybody else interested), here is a story about publicizing elephant conservation in China:

Elephant Campaign Targets China Consumers

18. nanoboy

This is great stuff. Thanks for posting. Online campaigns will hopefully resonate with the young, emerging middle class.

19. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I missed this during the original air time, but the first episode is now available on-line in its entirety. It appears that'll be airing again(?) on March 2nd. Check local listings.

DavidBrown is right; the ivory story has been getting a metric tonne of coverage in areas that might have traditionally ignored/avoided/whatever the topic. For example, The New York Times has spilled a lot of ink over the past couple of months covering the ivory trade in all of its various forms.

Most recently: An Illicit Trail of African Ivory to China

Series hub: The Price of Ivory

It seems that a couple of earlier articles have fallen by the wayside.