Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Batu and Molly

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 20 Dec 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched a video on the 18th December on Twycross Zoos Facebook, Batu playing with Molly his 3 year old daughter the man that made a comment was correct but what a load of rubbish he was told now makes me wonder if they know how to look after orangs after what happened to the baby.

I think Molly is to young to be put on the pill so the way it is going she could end up pregnant if they are not careful.

You can see he is trying to turn her around but this is my opinion.

2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Just as well the facebook fans didn't see a video of Batu with the little baby, I doubt if they would have got many likes for that.

3. Jane Doe

I think they are treating their followers like idiots

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Atleast Twycross are fair in how they treat there facebook followers,in that they all get treated with the same respect no matter how much or little they know,unlike a place up north,that only likes to have followers that believe everything they are told by their great GOD!

Now as for the Orangs yes they may well have a problem,but even in those good old days under Molly and Nat,everything was not perfect despite what you may think and say on here,I know I had more than a few years involvement in the TZA during the time of Molly and Nat,and had my fill of the place under Boardman!!

But I don't quite believe that I am going to say this but your constant bashing of the place,every chance you get isn't going to help the place.(Damn thats going to be a few day in the shrinks chair for saying that).I know I have bashed the place over the last few years a fair bit,but if you can visit on a cold miserable day and feel that at long last the place,is turning the corner in the right way,then things at long last have to be improving,while there are still things that are wrong or shouldn't have been done it is improving,but then I still haven't visited the perfect collection they all have there faults,but at long last Twycross are slowly starting to get rid of theres,I suspect the last major ones will be the Apes,but then Rome wasn't built in a day!

5. Animal Friendly

So, they are fair on facebook are they?, well how come Jane Doe and myself were banned just for making genuine enquiries, in my case the baby orang and the disappearance of Joe the gorillas plaque. I forgot of coarse members only contradict or ridicule what I post on here so just to be expected. We will now get "Well said Zoo giraffe" lets call those two names, just because we stick up for animals.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought the response was reasonable as far as it went, probably sufficient in the circumstances. Of course it may have been more than just play, 'pseudo mating' of daughters by fathers is not uncommon in Apes in captivity and generally a harmless practice until they start cycling, that is. The young female often initiates it too. Obviously they wouldn't mention that though as it might be seen as 'distasteful'.

What I did think was wrong is presenting the anniversary of wildcaught Gorilla Biddy's 41 years at the zoo as her 'Birthday'. Of course it isn't her real birthday, its the date she arrived at the Zoo. I see about 21 people replied wishing her a 'Happy Birthday,' none the wiser that it isn't and none of them queried it- they will just believe whatever they're told. I don't much like to see that sort of twaddle peddled by Zoos(in general). Marketing is fine but it shouldn't impede the truth.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2014
  7. Animal Friendly

I will say one thing, I have been of C.A.P.S. facebook page several times when in my opinion they are going a bit extreme with their criticism of zoos and I have taken the trouble to defend them. C.A.P.S. always answer promptly and politely and despite me not always agreeing with them have never banned me from their page. Perhaps certain zoos could learn something from the Captive Animal Protection Society?

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It all depends on your outlook as to which is fairer - showing active disrespect towards those who do not toe the party line and often issue abusive rants directed at the newly banned critics as SLWAP does, or demonstrating the same level of respect (none) towards the critics *and* the devoted alike, banning the one and ********ting the other, as Twycross does.....

The difference, of course, is that the one FB page is run by a press team who suppress the bad and issue the propaganda, but have no personal axe to grind. Conversely t'other is run by the man in charge himself, and as such any criticism is taken as a personal affront and replied to as such :p

9. zoogiraffe

Why do I feel as if I have just banged my head agains't a brick wall,for no reason whats so ever?As yet again any point I tried to make has been missed by you yet again Animal Friendly,but then I have to ask why I am surprised by that,as you only seem to be happy when bullying the moderators,or when you feel that you are the victim of a campaign agains't yourself!

Thats it I give up Animal Friendly I am off to put on the rose tinted glasses of the world was a better place when Molly and Nat was in-charge at Twycross!!!

10. Jane Doe

if you were so discussed by the zoo in the days of Miss Badham & Miss Evans then why did you not say something then instead of now when Miss Badham is not here and Miss Evans has nothing to do with the zoo and may I ask what gives you the right to call them by their Christian names ?
    I was banned just for putting pictures on FB I don't remember putting the place down. I could really dish some dirt up but I wouldn't do that because I want Twycross to still be there for my grand-children.

I am sorry to say they don't treat the people on FB right you can see where people ask a question over and over again and still never get an answer.

11. zoogiraffe

What the hell are you trying to say,I never said I was discussed,I said I was about Twycross back in days when they were in charge!What right do I have to call them by their christian names,well perhaps because thats what I used to call them when speaking,to them when I saw them in the zoo,but than I always used their full titles when first speaking with them,after that it was first name!But that is actually none of your business!

As for your problems with them answering on facebook,have you thought it might be the tone of your questioning that IS THE PROBLEM!!!

Because your reply to me was like a kick in the nuts!!!

12. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

JD

Your comments would be easier to follow if they were more clearly expressed, but is your concern that Molly might be impregnated by Batu? If so this seems improbable at this point for several reasons given the fact that the mixing was supervised, and the age of sexual maturity in Orangs.

The answer to the person commenting could have been fuller, but was hardly "a load of rubbish" was it? There are reports from the wild of males associating with female/offspring grouplets so it is not that unusual.

So what is your (specific) gripe this time? Other than your general view that Twycross is badly run these days - a view you are perfectly entitled to hold, but which you ought to justify.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its not only Twycross that is guilty of this. I have seen it on other Zoo and conservation-related facebooks also. They pick and choose, often not replying to inquisitiveness. Another variation is for a poster to get a response the first time, but follow-up questions by the same person aren't answered.

Postscript; I just happened to come across an old Longleat facebook page and what is the first post I read?- someone complaining that they answer queries about ticket sales but not questions about the Elephant's new home. As I said, it happens at many places.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2014
  14. Animal Friendly

I am sorry Mr. Zoo Giraffe but I have not missed your point at all. You state that you think Twycross could be turning the corner and could have a brighter future. Well I sincerely hope you are correct, nothing would give me greater pleasure than hearing of full car parks, tills full of money and the visitors going home after a most enjoyable day and posting glowing reports about it on Trip Advisor. I am always grateful for the photos that you take the trouble to post on the gallery particularly as I am not personally able to get to the zoo that often, seeing the building work of the new giraffe house I find encouraging, at last the visitors will have something substantial to see next season. You refer to me "wearing rose tinted spectacles" when discussing this zoo when under the direction of Miss Badham and Miss Evans, that's fine I don't have a problem with that, it is true that I thought very highly of this zoo when it was under their direction, what I do not agree with is your suggestion that I bully the moderators of zoo chat, I do not recall ever bullying a member when he was a moderator on here, in fact I agreed with virtually every thing he posted, what I do not agree with is someone from New Zealand who has probably never even visited the zoos I discuss even once telling me I am wrong in my opinions, the same person who suggests dog is best curried, the least said about that the better I think. Also I have been informed by another moderator , someone who is about half my age that I was not familiar with the elephants and Chester Zoo, I knew some of those elephants long before he was born, so how can that be construed as bullying?, I have never bullied anyone in my life and have no intention of ever doing so in the future, I am outspoken and loud mouthed yes, particulaly, when it comes to animals and also I might add, defending the good name of people who are no longer here to speak up for themselves, especialy people who I had the upmost regard for when they were alive.

15. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you going to respond JD?

16. zoogiraffe

@ Animal Friendly. Just because you liked and respected 1 moderator,doesn't mean that you are not a verbal bully towards others on here,but they say the bully never see what they do as bullying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.