Join our zoo community

Batu Secret Zoo Batu Secret Zoo news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by vogelcommando, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would expect them to receive rhino (both Indian and white) too in due course to make up breeding pairs for their animal stock.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  3. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

There is 1 male and 2 females of white rhinos.
    Unfortunately male is very aggressive to females and all attempts to mix them finished with serious fights. I heard about plans for import of new male from Taiwan that has nice behaviour towards females.
    Female of Indian rhino is expected to arrive from Nepal but nothing is confirmed yet. At least my source in zoo doesn't know details.

4. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Today family of 6 Prevost's Squirrels was move to new exhibit.
    It's a cage that is located close to zoo exit gate.
    And for years was occupied by Golden Cat.
    Golden cat was moved to new breeding center to way bigger and suitable cage.
    New cage was enriched by adding of 40 meter system of overhanging tunnels where squirrels can run above visitors heads.
    Some pictures will available soon on Instagram.

5. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

New "enrichment feeding tree" is in preparation for elephants. Frankly, I'm not sure if it will be a tree but so far it's looks like it going to be.

6. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Continuing new exhibit topic, it's worth to mention that Batu Secret Zoo is the most active amongst Indonesian zoos in frequently adding new exhibits or significantly upgrading old ones. Even pandemic doesn't stop Batu with construction projects.
    Other Indo zoos building new exhibits once every 4-5 years or more.
    During pandemic 2019-2020 they build:
    - brown bear exhibit 2019
    - Giant Otter exhibit 2019
    - Snow Leopard exhibit, first part of Himalaya village 2020
    - Proboscis Monkeys - to be finished soon
    - Giant Anteater indoor exhibit- almost finished
    - squirrels cage and tunnels
    - Golden Takin and Red Panda exhibit are planned for this year but most probably it will not be possible due to financial difficulties.

Zoo had plans for following new exhibits but due to pandemic decision about construction was postponed for future:
    - new elephant exhibit- there is big need to build larger space for growing family of elephants in Batu
    - rebuilding old elephant exhibit for Chimpanzees
    - total renovation of Savanna for Congo Jungle
    This exhibit once it will be build might one of the most spectacular in South East Asia. All African guenons, colobus, mandrill, pygmy hippo, red River pigs, birds that already live in zoo and two new amazing species will create Congo complex habitat. This is very ambitious project but I worry that zoo will not find a budget soon.
    - renovation of small African village to better shape.
    Aside of animal exhibits Batu zoo invest a lot last year in brand new animal hospital (probably the largest in Indonesia) number of holding/breeding facilities for antelopes, breeding complex for Sumatra clouded leopard, breeding aviaries for endangered birds.
    I think it's very spectacular especially in hard for everyone pandemic times.

Kifaru Bwana and Salt Merchant like this.
  7. Salt Merchant

Where it will be located in the zoo?

I would guess they will be a part of the Himalaya Village. The takins came from the Czech Republic, how about the red pandas?

This sounds interesting, but where will the lynx, zebras, and antelopes go? Really curious about the "two new amazing species", I would guess galago is one of them.

Sorry if I gave you too many questions. Overall, Batu Secret Zoo seems to be doing better than TSI and I hope they will have a impact to the Indonesian wildlife conservation in the future. Although they should do something with the Baby Zoo, its honestly awful and sad. I'm curious of what they will be doing with Predator Fun Park and Eco Green Park, especially the latter, which has a numbers of interesting birds species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

It's rebuild exhibit that used to be used by Brown lions, next to white lions (they also will change place soon)

9. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

I don't know plans for herbivores. I guess they will receive something new in so called " Safari Farm"
    I promised to not tell about those amazing species. But many zoo people in Indonesia will be surprised. Only what I can tell, is that animals will be bigger than Galago

10. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

You are right, they urgently need to change it.

11. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't know much about Eco Park (it will be better if they can change name to Batu Bird Park). They have big collection, but sometimes strange ideas for management.

12. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Takins will replace Texas Longhorns and Blesboks.
    Indoor and outdoor exhibit for Red Pandas will be build on the place of existing cages for Baboons and Mouflons.
    I don't know origin of Red Pandas but I guessing they will come from Europe.
    Batu has good connections with many Europe zoos. They participate in many EAZA breeding programs.

13. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

What is your IG account, Fajar?

14. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Today female of Giant Otter arrived. After quarantine period she will be introduced to Chico- single male that live in Batu since December 2020.

15. Salt Merchant

@Fajar, do you know any information about the zoo's western long-beaked echidna and hog badger? Like its origin and current condition?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Badgers are still in their exhibit. Echidna is not anymore in nocturnal house. Zookeepers said that they are from confiscation by BKSDA.

17. Salt Merchant

Sad to see it go, what's the echina exhibit currently being used for?

I've seen this one, the fact that there is an rotating billboard on top of it is honestly hilarious. It's creative thought.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 4 Sep 2021
  18. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

The bank donate significant financial support to the zoo. So probably this billboard was part of the deal between zoo and bank.
    From elephants point of view it doesn't change anything. They received feeding device that will increase they activity. Of course this construction doesn't looks amazing but billboard will not stay there forever.

Echidna exhibit has some technical problems. I suppose it will be repaired.

19. Salt Merchant

The construction of Charlitto's indoor exhibit has finished.

Attached Files:

20. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

I guess she is from Singapore, isn't she?