Join our zoo community

Batu Secret Zoo Batu Secret Zoo news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by vogelcommando, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

The giant otters at River Safari is all related and I don't think Batu wanted a inbreed offsprings. I would guess they came from Europe, since, as previously said, Batu have a good connection with several European zoos.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pretty much *all* captive Giant Otter are inbred at this stage, so Batu would likely end up with inbred animals no matter where they turned to!

Salt Merchant likes this.
  3. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Batu Secret Zoo is open again after 10 weeks of brake due to lockdown in Indonesia. Unfortunately, based on Government Regulations, only people older than 12 years can enter zoo. This is ridiculous decision without any logic. All restaurants in Batu and Malang are full of families with small kids and this is not problem for anyone. Schools are open again for kids.

The Giant Otter pair is bonded well and enjoy their outside enclosure. I have heard that female 'Tibagi' has hormonal contraceptive implant in order to not allow getting pregnant with male ' Chico'.
    Chico is closely related to Tibagi and EEP program not approved breeding from this pair.
    Batu Zoo need to gain some years of experience before will receive breeding pair.
    It's true that Tibagi arrived from Singapore.

There is some babies born recently. Most spectacular are Cotton Top Tamarins, Fennec Foxes and Bear Cuscus (they are keep off show) .

Arrival of Snow Panther from Germany and Anteater from Brazil is delayed due to airline problems. During lockdown there is just handful of airlines flying to Indonesia.

4. Salt Merchant

The construction of the proboscis monkey exhibit has finished.

Attached Files:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

It's true that main construction works of aviary, off show house, Kalimantan style visitors viewing house are completed. There is still works going on large artificial mangrove roots that will create climbing structures for Bekantan. I think that 2-3 weeks are need to finish all decorations. Definitely it will be one of the best primate exhibit in zoo (after Lemur Kingdom). Hopefully other will be upgraded next year. Date of arrival of monkeys is still unknown but management says that will be this year.

6. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

What about the fish in the large pond that used to be the false gharial's exhibit? Also, will there be turtles in the bekantan exhibit?

7. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Is the anteater you're talking about is Carlitto's mate?

8. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Yes, Anteater female that will create a pair with Carlitto is going to arrive from zoo in Brazil.

Fish in Bekantan pool will stay there. Have no idea about turtles but heard that maybe some young False Gharials will be moved there. They will live there until they will grow to size that will be dangerous for monkeys.

9. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

On 26th of September (Sunday) a female of Snow Leopard from Tierpark Berlin, Germany arrived to Batu Zoo.
    Garuda Indonesia (national airline) provide transport service.

Garuda Indonesia Angkut Macan Tutul Salju dari Belanda, Dibawa ke Malang

Probably, depending on adaptation process, Snow Leopard will be visible in exhibit from 8th of October.
    Male is expected to arrive in November.

Kifaru Bwana and Salt Merchant like this.
  10. Salt Merchant

Great news! I hope Maya would adapt well with her now home. So, is the male will also came from Tierpark Berlin or from another zoo?

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tierpark itself I suppose.

Exchange deal for ....?

12. Salt Merchant

From what I've read, Maya was given by Tierpark Berlin as the result of a collaboration between the two zoos, kind of like the giant otters or the wombats at TSI. @Fajar might know more information about this.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Batu Secret Zoo participate in EAZA Ex-situ Program (EEP) for Snow Leopards. Transfer of Maya to Batu was subject to decision of EEP coordinator for Snow Leopard. So no exchange was involved as I heard. But maybe Batu Zoo's curator made some deal with Tierpark.
    Male will arrive from one of Czech zoos. Last year veterinarian from Batu was in Czech Republic for 2 weeks training about husbandry of Snow leopards.

Salt Merchant and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures of new exhibit for Snow Leopard in Batu Zoo.

Salt Merchant and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Salt Merchant

I just revisited the snow leopard thread, the Czech zoo is the Jihlava Zoo and the male is named Ounce.

Kifaru Bwana and Fajar like this.
  16. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

I have add some pics of new exhibit for Snow Leopard to Batu Zoo gallery. This exhibit is not opened officially yet, so I cannot post more pictures.

17. Salt Merchant

After watching some recent YouTube videos of Batu Secret Zoo, the zoo apparently has added an interesting species on display, which is the bronze quoll. This is probably a confiscated animal, since this species can be found in West Papua.

Chlidonias and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Do you have a link to the video?

19. Salt Merchant

It's in minute 4:21

Chlidonias likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's amazing if they actually are Bronze Quolls - they are so poorly known as a species. I suspect they might be more likely to be New Guinea Quolls though (D. albopunctatus rather than D. spartacus) because they are much more widespread through the island. I wouldn't be able to tell from that video.

I'm assuming this is a video of a recent visit. The Long-beaked Echidna is signed as being present in the video, whereas back in this thread (at the start of September) it was posted that the echidna is not on display any more.

Kifaru Bwana and Salt Merchant like this.