Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Bear Ravine at Dudley

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tonbridge Mark, 18 Mar 2015.

1. Tonbridge Mark

Tonbridge Mark New Member

Hi all. I was thinking of going to Dudley Zoo but before making the journey up from Kent I wanted to check that the moon bears can be seen currently. I was reading online that the bear ravine had been renovated but it didn't say whether the bears had moved back in yet. I'm keen to see them as they are one species I have not photographed before. Thanks for any advice.

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

The bear ravine will almost certainly not contain bears when it is finished. I don't think it is known what if anything will go in there. It does look amazing though.
    Dudley's last Asiatic Black Bear is in what used to be the polar bear enclosure. She is very elderly and last time I was there spent the day asleep.
    Hope this helps.

3. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The bear ravine tecton has indeed been renovated, but doesn't currently contain any animals and they definitely won't be moving Inca (Asiatic Black Bear) in there- I'm not sure if the structure is even open yet to walk along.

You'd be very lucky to see Inca awake and moving around and even then the enclosure itself isn't very photogenic. However, this is no reason not to visit the zoo.

4. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

It wasn't open last time I went, which was the start of March I believe.

And yeah, Inca's not going to be moving there. She sleeps inside a lot when it's cold too, and can't be seen.

5. meg4150

meg4150 New Member

Hi! Just wondering if there were any updates on this? Any signs of the bear ravine being used to house animals?

6. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

None at all sorry to say.

7. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the rumours around our area are correct for this exhibit and that is -

The Camel enclosure to be extended into the play area & the fairground to close and turned into an exhibit (possible new reptile house) and the bear ravine to be turned into a playground and café/picnicarea

8. meg4150

meg4150 New Member

Hi! Thanks for your replies - I've actually been researching this for a university project and found some information on the Tecton/ Bear Ravine restoration by the architects involved:

Dudley Zoological Gardens

In the last paragraph:
    'The Bear Ravine will be refurbished to provide the back drop for a group of primates.'

It's unclear whether this is the current plan or just the original intention/ when this will happen, but interesting nonetheless!

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

written some years ago so quite likely plans may have changed since. This could be Geladas that are referred to here, now already housed elsewhere in the zoo during the intervening time. Or something else maybe....