Join our zoo community

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo Beardsley Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 4 Mar 2016.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Penguin Plaza (Plunge) has opened. It is the same temp. exhibit that has been making the rounds the past few years.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member

The male leopard, Oskar, that came from Copenhagen with his sister has been sent to the San Diego Zoo. CBZ now has a new male, Sochi, from Denver Zoo to breed with Freya.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

A pair of rescued miniature horses will be joining the New England Farmyard in November.

The zoo has begun a 760-square-foot addition to the Rainforest Building to serve of a new kitchen. Visitors will be able to view into the building. It is expected to be completed in early 2017.

~Thylo

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I recently purchased the 2002 history book Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo: The First Eighty Years and even though it is a slim paperback (64 pages) and not particularly well-written, there are a few pieces of information that I wasn't aware of before I made my purchase.

- the Master Plan (circa 2002) called for an Arctic Tundra area (Kodiak bear, caribou), an Asian Plateau (red panda, Asiatic black bear, snow leopard) and "the most immediate plans call for a Jaguar Walk exhibit to be constructed adjacent to the New World Tropics Building, on the site of the old elephant yard. The exhibit would also showcase tapir, monkeys, birds, and reptiles." Obviously none of that ever became a reality.

- In the book there is talk of a project involving Darwin's rhea, Chacoan peccary and giant anteater and of course Pampas Plains actually saw the light of day and is a recent development.

- essentially from 1959 to 1984 the zoo had a minimum of at least one elephant.

- The Bird & Mammal Building opened in 1956, became a rainforest zone in 1969 and eventually was called the New World Tropics Building in 1992.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2016
  7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member

Beardsley Zoo 2016 In Review-
    • Mochilla, the Giant Anteater was born on February 13th, the first of his species to be born at the zoo. Helmeted Guineafowl and Guinea Hog piglets were also born at the zoo this summer.
    • African Penguins (first penguins ever at the zoo), Dromedary Camels, and Spurred-Thigh Tortoises temporarily exhibited this summer
    • Ruby, the female Red Wolf, died this year.
    • Zuele officially became the oldest howler monkey in the world, celebrating her 30th birthday this year. After the death of her companion Rosario last year, she went back on exhibit this summer with another elderly pair of howler monkeys (1.1).
    • The zoo welcomed a new male Maned Wolf to breed with the female, Bonita. I don't know where this new male is from, but I know that Bonita's sister, Chiquita, was sent to Philadelphia Zoo.
    • Jabba the sloth was moved to into the Goeldi's Monkey/Agouti exhibit.
    • The Boa Constrictor was off-exhibit throughout August. I don't know if it passed away or is still off-exhibit.
    • The Common Vampire Bats were also off-exhibit this summer for a behavioral study in collaboration with Southern Connecticut State University to monitor vampire bat feeding vocalizations, and group feeding strategies.
    • As Thylo mentioned above, the zoo broke ground on a new kitchen and commissary in September. Bridgeport Zoo and Beardsley Zoo Breaks Ground on Kitchen For Animals
    • As Thylo also said, the zoo welcomed two Miniature Horses, Caramel and Nutmeg, into the former goat exhibit in the New England Farmyard. The zoo removed the asphalt from the pen and there is now natural soil underneath for the horses. The goats are in the former llama exhibit. Miniature Horses Going on Exhibit At The Beardsley Zoo
    • Rochan the Red Panda is back on exhibit, and the zoo is trying to raise $150,000 to build a new exhibit for him. The link describes Rochan's new home featuring "plenty of tree-top spots for sunbathing", "a yard landscaped with bamboo", and "a cool place to enjoy in the summer and great outdoor space to explore in the winter." Rochan’s New Digs | Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo

8. Bagger Jan

Bagger Jan Well-Known Member

9. Bagger Jan

Bagger Jan Well-Known Member

Sorry to answer so late, but I've just read, that you mentioned the elephants at the Beardsley Zoo.
    According to my information the zoo has had the following elephants:
    June 13, 1955 - 0,1 Asian Elephant "Shakuntala / Lollipop" (died March 23, 1978)

1969 - 0,1 Asian Elephant "Champagne" (this cow was delivered to the Catskill Game Farm on May 24, 1977)

Oct. 13, 1978 - 0,1 African Elephant "Sheba / Kasheiba" (this Elephant was handed over to the Bowmanville Zoo on Mai 11, 1984)

Yi Qi likes this.
  10. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Could someone movie this to the 2019 thread, please?