Join our zoo community

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo Beardsley Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 1 Jan 2019.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member

Visited the zoo this New Year's Eve for a quick visit. While I didn't have the time to visit the Rainforest, there are plenty of other updates around the zoo.
    • There are 4 Mexican Wolves at the zoo now. The zoo has the same sister pair as before, but there were 2 other wolves visible in the kennels behind the exhibit. Perhaps they are rotating the pairs on exhibit for now?
    • The prairie dogs, peccaries, anteaters, and alligators will most likely be off-exhibit for the winter.
    • On the Maned Wolf pups' birthday celebration on December 27th, the habitat was named the Julia Wasserman Maned Wolf Experience in honor of late board member Julia Wasserman. Beardsley Zoo celebrates 1st birthday of critically endangered wolf pups
    • Pronghorn are no longer at the zoo.
    • Inside Alligator Alley, the Black-Crowned Night Herons were not on-exhibit, so they may have died. The new Emperor Geese are indeed being held in the aviary. Only 1 Bald Eagle was on-exhibit.
    • The farmyard had several things going on. The Domestic Cat is no longer at the zoo, and the Cotswold Sheep were not on-exhibit and their sign wasn't there either. The hog, llama, horse, and goat exhibits all had rope fencing blocking off direct guest access (possibly in preparation for planned farmyard refurbishments). Most of the poultry pens were empty as well, although some chickens were visible in their shed behind the pens.

Wyman likes this.
  2. BeardsleyZooFan

As for exhibit-related news...
    • The new Red Panda exhibit is a significant improvement over their former metal cage. Viewing is tremendously improved, with open-air viewing of the outdoor habitat, and large glass-fronted viewing for the indoor exhibit. The exhibit is a little bare right now, but once it's grown in a bit in the spring I'm sure it will look very nice. The outdoor exhibit could perhaps use a little more climbing opportunities, and I'd like to see them take advantage of the height of the enclosure. Indoor enclosure is small, but will be good for guests to view them on hot summer days whereas they would frequently be off-exhibit during the summer in previous years.
    • Construction on the Spider Monkey exhibit seems to actually be doing well. They've essentially demolished the former peccary habitat, and are underway on building the boardwalk and a viewing structure, as well as what likes the poles for the netting.
    • Conceptual renderings of the planned tiger exhibit can be seen at the former lynx exhibit, although they are attached to the actual lynx cage, much to the woe of any nearsighted visitors. They show the planned overhead crossing as well as a training wall for the tigers.

ThylacineAlive and Wyman like this.
  3. BeardsleyZooFan

4. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

What are the names of the Mexican wolves?

6. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member Premium Member

The article states that the wolves will not be named.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

Lesula seems to have a knack for missing very clearly stated information..

~Thylo

8. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about the wolves.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

3 Amur Leopard cubs were born on January 25th, although only 2 survived (a male and a female.) The female lost her tail and underwent surgery after the mother, Freya, displayed hyper-grooming behavior. The female cub is melanistic.
    Two rare leopard cubs born at Connecticut Beardsley Zoo

10. ThylacineAlive

I visited the zoo today and I'm very sad to report that the native reptile house has been knocked down. Only the concrete foundation and outdoor snapping turtle enclosure are left. From what I could tell this is the only major work done to the farmyard so far, and most of the animals appeared to still be in their enclosures. There is a lot of construction equipment and what appears to be brand new fencing and cages in an empty lot directly next to the farmyard, however. Some of the herps may have been moved into the research station, but it was not open today so I couldn't check for sure besides a Black Rat Snake I saw through the window. Does anyone know if this building actually opens to the public at all anymore?
    In better news, the spider monkey enclosure is coming along nicely. There are a lot structural/climbing poles up, and the boardwalk/viewing area appear to be nearly completed if not already. In the rainforest building I saw a single GLT mixed with a single Goeldi's Monkey and Red-Footed Tortoise. A Hoffmann's Two-Toed Sloth is now in the Red-Rumped Agouti enclosure (former Goeldi's Monkey enclosure). There's a Boat-Billed Heron in the walk-through as well. I didn't see any of the vampire bats and only saw one Hispaniolan Slider. The Amazon Tree Boa enclosure is under renovation.
    I saw a single Black-Crowned Night-Heron in Alligator Alley as well as only one otter, crane, and eagle.
    The zoo has a pair of Red Wolves again.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and Wyman like this.
  11. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Active Member

They have announced the names of the two Amur leopard cubs born in January. The male has been named Orion and the female has been named Kallisto.

12. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Active Member

You can see the Amur Leopard cubs via a live webcam (Beardsley Leopard Cam) 8:30am to 6:00pm. Too enchanting for words! So irresistible I can hardly focus on work.

13. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member

LesulaMonkey likes this.
  14. ThylacineAlive

Very sad :( Kuma was one of my favorite zoo animals. She's also the famous Ocelot to be the first wild cat to successfully breed via artificial insemination.

~Thylo

Wyman likes this.
  15. BeardsleyZooFan

@Thylo- Late response, but the research station should still open to the public at some times. I don't know the exact schedule but a lot of it will be subject to summer camps and whatnot with summer coming up. Also rat snakes have always been residents of the research station as far as I recall, so it may not be the snake that lived in the reptile house.
    Will probably be visiting later this week. Sad news about Kuma. :( Certainly had a unique presence as she managed to climb and have cubs just like any other ocelot despite only having 3 legs and missing her tail.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. BeardsleyZooFan

Orion and Kallisto, the leopard cubs, will begin making official appearances in the leopard exhibit tomorrow on June 21st. They will be out from 9-10 and 2-4 each day. To make room for the cubs, the zoo bid farewell to their father, Sochi, who moved to a different institution (not revealed in the zoo's Facebook post about the cubs' debut.)

17. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

I decided to pop into the zoo today to check out the new exhibit and wow it really came out spectacular. A lot larger than I was expecting and the mother-adopted son pair they have really make great use of all the available space. I even saw the male using the mesh to climb over to the window looking into the former Ocelot enclosure and was peaking through it. I talked to a keeper who told me that they're planning on getting more spider monkeys in the future, as they certainly have space for them. They also want to include a more terrestrial mammal, which for now will likely be the extra male anteater they have.

The education building was open to the public today as well, so I was able to make a species list:
    -Eastern Black Ratsnake
    -New Caledonian Crested Gecko
    -Eastern Tiger Salamander
    -Mississippi Map Turtle
    -Eastern Mud Turtle
    -Vietnamese Walkingstick
    -European Legless Lizard
    -Eastern Kingsnake
    -American Alligator (hatchlings)
    -Hellbender
    -Brook Trout
    -Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
    -Western Hognose Snake
    -Trinidad Bat-Cave Cockroach

As for other news:
    -The Bobcat is temporarily in the former Ocelot enclosure.
    -What remains of the old Pronghorn yard has been fully fenced in.
    -New barns have been constructed at the new entrance to the farmyard and a new design detailing the exhibit has been put up (photo to come).

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

A couple things I missed/forgot to mention/just found out:

-The Pickerel Frog in the research station is missing both of its back feet. I'm not quite sure how that happened.
    -Golfodulcean Poison Dart Frogs are now in the rainforest building.
    -LA has transferred a female Ocelot to the zoo. They list this transfer as part of an SSP recommendation, so I can only assume the zoo will be or has already received a male. Presumably the Bobcat will be removed from the rainforest once its new enclosure in the new farmyard is completed, at which point the Ocelot will go on-show.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and Wyman like this.