Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo "Bears of the World" random discussion

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Nov 2017.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Heard through the grapevine when chatting to a keeper at Edinburgh on Saturday that Chester will be unveiling a plan to create a Bears Of The World development, which will open in 2020 - 2021 and they will house multiple species of bears, including Giant Panda which are likely to be the two from Edinburgh when their agreement ends in 2021.

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait, what!? If this is true then this really doesn't seem to fit with the zoos plans. The two bear species at the zoo have well established enclosures already and I doubt the zoo would abandon them for another species. Do you have any more information on this?

3. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Don't really know much. I was chatting to the Panda keeper at Edinburgh and I asked if they would try and breed with them again next year and he said no decision had been made but the Panda were no longer in the long term plan with the zoo. I asked how come and he explained that they were there on a 10 year deal which expires in 3 years and he said there was murmurings they will join Chester Zoo, as part of a Bears Of The World development.

4. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I find this plan highly unlikely and silly considering the zoos plans, it may just be gossip but it is still sillly gossip.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If it is true, it must be a very recent development. I do not believe the story though.

6. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't believe it but an exhibit with g.panda, specticled, sloth, brown or black bears would fit in the forrest zone

Last edited: 2 Nov 2017
  7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The cynic in me thinks that it sounds like an excellent thing to put about if you were trying to trace a leak..! Giant Panda gossip is bound to be passed on.

On its own terms, the more bears the better - although I wouldn't be too keen on Chester getting involved in Rent-a-Panda.

Brum, TeaLovingDave and pipaluk like this.
  8. Fallax

If Chester gets another bear species it will be sloth bears or moon bears.

zoogiraffe likes this.
  9. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Find this incredibly unlikely, considering the correlation between Edinburgh acquiring pandas and the significant drop in the number of species they hold ever since then, I highly doubt Chester would want them at all!

10. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

Ratio of profit to cost- would Chester make any money out of Pandas? I wouldn’t see sense in it. Maybe if Chester expanded to twice its size then you bring in Pandas.

New third species of Orangutan just announced, from Sumatra called Tapanuli orangutan- in addition to existing Bornean and Sumatran Orangs. Would rather they acquired these than Pandas.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am completely convinced by this story. Bears of the World will fit nicely between the flying pig aviary and the hippogriff stables.

Birdsage, Brum, Macaw16 and 13 others like this.
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think the keeper was telling fibs (and by "fibs" I mean "blatant lies"). Panda rentals don't work that way - they don't just get handed on to another zoo. It has been said on here before that keepers at certain zoos tell lies to visitors to see them get repeated on Zoochat.

Birdsage and bongorob like this.
  13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If they've found room for hippogriffs, can we hope to see unicorns (of the non-chubby variety) in the near future.

zoogiraffe likes this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe keepers give a monkeys what is said on Zoochat.

FBBird likes this.
  15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well keepers might not but senior management do in fact I know atleast one of Chesters has done alot of laughing at the rubbish been said tonight so far,but then you don't have to believe me on that,but those that know me personally know I am speaking the truth!

Brum and ShonenJake13 like this.
  16. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

the Bears of the world thing will never happen it just does not fit the zoos plans I’m not surprised people have been laughing at it zoogiraffe

17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's more than possible that your average monkey doesn't give a keeper's.......

bongorob, Zia and gentle lemur like this.
  18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Are you seriously suggesting senior managers at Chester would intentionally lie to guests so they could have a good old laugh at them? Very professional.

Birdsage likes this.
  19. Fallax

Say hi to senior management for us :p

Zia likes this.
  20. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

But to get back to the point - I don't believe Chester will be getting Panda either. It doesn't fit with their plans and would be a colossal waste of money and resources. I credit them with better strategic planning than that.

jde7582 likes this.