Join our zoo community

BeccaSunBear’s Czech Trip 2018

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by agnmeln, 28 Jan 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Definitely not! I have to take four flights as part of this trip, and so I really draw the line at paying extra for hold luggage for that many! I am going to find a way to get it all in hand luggage only, eventually, even if it kills me!

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of my local shops sells little gloves that can stretch to fit hands of any size. It's a pity that you can't buy other clothes that can grow larger when you wear them and then shrink after you take them off.

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You lucky, lucky bastard*. First thing I did when reading that was to check if it was still on sale at that price (unfortunately not) :D. I "had" to paid several times that price for a copy of "Do It For Your Mum" on e-bay recently. :)

I console myself with the fact I'll be seeing them, again, in a few weeks time though (super yay!).

*I'm pleased for you really, I love all BSP fans.

4. Dassie rat

You should get the new album from 'British Pea Shower' - some hard rock and a few mushy numbers.

5. agnmeln

Yes, if only!

Incidentally, I’ve never heard of British Sea Power, nor British Pea Shower!

6. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Trial pack? Wow that is some dedication right there

7. agnmeln

It had to be done, in light of my growing doubts over the viability of my packing plans. And luckily so, too, since it has resulted in me needing to re-evaluate! I can’t believe that I’m going in less than two weeks, I’m so unprepared and don’t really know where I’m going to find the time to get myself organised!

8. HOMIN96

That time usually comes the evening before your departure. :D

9. Dassie rat

10. agnmeln

11. agnmeln

I think this is likely to happen here; I feel very disorganised and everything in my life is really crazy right now! I guess there is never a ‘good’ time to go away!

12. Dassie rat

So you're more of a queue paca.

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

British Sea Power are a cult band (you either don't get them or are really passionate about them (especially after seeing them live), not much in between).

British Pea Shower is a witty spoonerism from Rassie Dat.

14. agnmeln

I’m not up on modern day music at all - Edmundo Ros, Harry Belafonte, Caterina Valente, Eydie Gorme, Tito Puente and Della Reese are more my thing!

15. agnmeln

So, I had another stressy moment on Friday night and nearly pulled the plug on the whole trip for the second time! When booking my flights with RyanAir back in January, I received no notification at the time that their luggage policy had changed, and that a charge had recently been implemented for those wishing to carry hand luggage on board. I stumbled across this by chance on Friday night, and knowing for sure that my grossly oversized bag would certainly be liable for a fee of £50 per flight at the gate to go into the hold as there’s no chance it will fit inside a luggage sizer if this is strictly enforced, it was all starting to feel like more trouble than it was worth. After having a mini breakdown / swearing a lot / waving my arms around / despairing / cursing my life / looking through the various options, I decided to give in and attempt to pack an actual hold luggage approved sized case for the entirety of my ten day trip.

So Saturday morning after my Botox top up appointment, I went and bought a brand new hold luggage approved sized case, certain that it would be accepted into the hold for a fee of £6 per flight, and kind of just dealt with the idea that it would mean packing a whole lot lighter and having to leave out half of the clothes I had wanted to take with me. I bought the smallest versions possible of everything I need to take with me to try to conserve space; shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturiser, and so on. I planned new outfits to make sure I was taking things that would take up the least possible room. And then I got repacking.

By some stroke of a miracle, everything I had originally wanted to take actually fits! So no compromises there. I’ve paid £6 per flight to be able to take my case on board, so looks like I am absolutely definitely going, no turning back. So just three more days of work to get though, all the last minute preparations on Saturday, and then on Sunday I’m off! I’m especially excited now as I have arranged to meet with Bara’s keeper at Olomouc, so this should be a great experience for me! Bring on the bears!

Brum likes this.
  16. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Much simpler to buy these when you get there and abandon what is left before returning. :D

17. agnmeln

You’re right, of course! Although time spent shopping is time that could be spent at zoos! Also there are no guarantees of definitely being able to find somewhere to buy them from, especially in some of the smaller towns that I will be staying in, let alone of being able to find products that I like or am at least familiar with. I always like to come prepared, just in case!

18. HOMIN96

Such as?

You really shouldn´t worry about that particular thing, now, there is a shopping centre in every town over 5000 inhabitants. But you´re right, you might not be able to find something you are familiar with

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have Tesco in the Czech republic ;) and shops are basically always open (especially when compared to Switzerland). So don't worry you are not traveling to the Central African Republic...

20. agnmeln

It was this post that made me wonder about being able to find shops that would be open either early morning or in the evening, as obviously I plan to be at zoos all throughout the day. But I’m coming prepared anyway, so it will save me time at least!