Join our zoo community

Beginnings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by DragonDust101, 2 Oct 2016.

Tags:
  1. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Hey Zoochatters,
    If one was to have the funds, and zoning permits, to start a new zoo, what animals would be available without accredation of Aza/Eaza?

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Non-EAZA member can participate in keeping and breeding animals for wich there are EEPs (European Endangered Species Programme) (in EAZA) from maximum 5 species (5 EEPs species); after that number, I suppose the zoo can become EAZA - member or first will become EAZA memmebr and then will continuie to increase species diversity with EEPs species (I read this on one EAZA paper). Thus, new zoo, can very difficult obtain animals from more than 5 species for wich there are EEPs (and for most charizmatic and well-known zoo animals there are EEPs - with other words most of them are kept in EAZA members (in Europe)). Otherwise, I suppose if the new zoo prove that have the right facilities and stuff for keeping zoo animals, will have a chance to obtain zoo animals other than EEPs (or maximum 5 EEP species) either on donation basis, or on loan basis (eg. surplus animals needing accomodation) or from sanctuaries/circuses, or eventually from animal dealers/private pet breeders.

I have no idea about the possibilities in America for the new beginner zoos.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2016
  3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

Quite a few animals are available privately in America, from sloth bears to cassowaries, without being accredited. Granted some are very hard to come by, but it's amazing what we have available. Some institutions do participate in SSPs without being accredited, though it would have to be a very nice institution to do so. Sometimes private individuals do as well. For example, the Metro Richmond Zoo participates with the blue crane SSP, while a private individual is a large contributer to the red river hog SSP. Lots of animals are available through exotic pet dealers as well.

4. DragonDust101

Well for buying exotics offline, I know that you can buy species such as binturongs, lemurs, Asian Small Clawed Otters, Kinkajous, and Fennecs, but what else is available.

5. Nikola Chavkosk

From this company from Tanzania, Africa, you can buy pretty much a lot of African fauna, including giraffes, antelopes, rhinos, cheetahs, leopards, African hunting dogs, hyenas, secretary birds, shoebills, vultures, snakes ... :

African Animals (T) LTD | animals

6. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Attractive animals (especially in Brazil) that aren't too difficult to maintain (I willn't mention simple species like native birds, monkeys, reptiles, etc...), such as kangaroos, ring-tailed lemurs, meerkats, fennec foxes, chameleons (I've never seen a chameleon or fennec fox in a zoo in Brazil )... Basically what Nikola and DragonDust said.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2016
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

@ Nikola - buying the animals from Tanzania is one thing (assuming they are a real dealer, there are lots of internet scams for exotic animals). Getting an import permit from U.S. Fish and Wildlife is another thing. Cheetahs are readily available for purchase from South Africa, but the import application is involved and you really have to prove you have a sound facility and are using them for education or propagation of the species. It would be difficult or impossible for a private individual to import cheetahs.

That being said, there are lots of other animals that anyone can buy within the United States, assuming they are legal in your state or county (that is the real trick). Some that are fairly easy to obtain include serval, bobcat, various parrots, several non-venomous snakes and lizards, and some antelope. Most major USA cities (including my city of Tucson) have an annual reptile show where you could buy enough exotic reptiles to stock a small zoo.

8. DragonDust101

I know that reptiles, amphibians, and some birds are easily available, but the ones I'm thinking about are mammals.

9. Nikola Chavkosk

@ Arizona Docent: I think they would only sell animals to zoos, research centres, or pet trade companies. I contacted them twice; it is a company operated by a Russians. I asked for giraffes, elephants and even for gorillas. Seemed like serious company but who knows...
    They told me that for gorillas it will be almost impossible. For giraffes - they said that it is not problem, and for elephants - problem with airplane companies, as almost none airplane company would agree to transport elephants.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I think you are missing the point again Nikola. Just because a company in one country sells animals, that does not automatically mean that you can import them into a different country. There are little things like import laws, which are different from one country to the next.

11. Nikola Chavkosk

Yes it looks like that Chlidonias, but I am realizing that point; I just wanted to present what I think about the company and that I contacted them.
    Like for example there is ban for import of giraffes (or every Artiodactyla) or elephants from Tanzania to my country; but there are not very specific requirements (to the level of species of animal) like in New Zealand.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

The company is in Tanzania but it is operated by Russians? :eek:
    That sounds very, very suspicious.