Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Belfast Zoo news 2011

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mr Saxon, 31 Dec 2010.

Tags:
  1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice one re. the warty pigs.

It is been a bit quiet on the Belfast zoo front. What other stuff is happening at Belfast Zoo? New species, what about the tree kangaroo?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the new female Gorilla from France integrated into the group yet? Is Gugas still aggressive to her or have things improved? Any mating yet?

3. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It really was a misinterpreted comment :) - of course I'm happy that Belfast's have bred and there is a successful breeding programme currently. I actually quite like the species (and I have no problems with any suids), my comment was born more from an inside joke amongst some on here about the sheer amount of warty pigs about (especially being a Chester regular).

If you look at the second part of my comment you will see that I said 'seriously, I'm happy for Belfast' - apologies for any misunderstanding :cool:

4. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Some belfast news...

-red titi monkey, pygmy marmoset, pied tamarin, eastern bongo, ring tailed lemur, californian sealion, white tailed cockatoo, negros island warty pig, prairie dogs, meerkats have all had young...

new arrivals...
    1.1 Giant Wood Rail ( from switzerland)
    0.2 Blesbok (africa alive)
    2.0 Ostrich ( Woburn)
    0.1 Golden Cat ( Perhaps Wuppertal?)
    0.1 Darwins Rhea (Blackbrook)
    1.1 Andean Goose (Blackbrook)
    15 chilean flamingo ( Blackbrook- swapped for belfasts greater flamingo flock)
    Red squirrel enclosure taking shape..

I think belfast is in for a busy few months!!

5. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

Last I was there, there was 2 Rhea so is this a third one that's arrived?

Oh and interesting swap with the flamingo flock. Any particular reason why this was done?

Nice to hear about the Red Squirrel exhibit, any other details that can be shared? And when is it expected to be completed?

6. Javan Rhino

This is the one that interests me most - they are a nice species. Just out of interest, does this mean Belfast have a pair, or just the one (I know they've had them in the recent past, but didn't know if other than this one they still had any, or whether this is the first and they are getting in another to form a completely new pair)

7. Mr MonkeyMan

Mr MonkeyMan Active Member

I think Belfast Zoo have plans to try breed there golden cats!!! I think its good to hear about the red squirrel enclosure!!! Whereabouts is it being placed in the zoo out of interest??? and appaenrtly there was a pair of red titi monkey babies..... Hope this is true as it is good news!! :)

8. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

Red Squirrel enclosure is just below the farm where the Ring tailed lemurs used to live before being moved to the new enclosure inside the farm...

lol typed forum x)

Last edited: 24 Jul 2011
  9. Mr MonkeyMan

Thank you very much.... Going to the zoo in a few weeks, do you know of any other arrivals, births, that havent been mentioned before, in the zoo. Thanks again

10. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We do have a pair of golden cats, the male however is a hand-reared individual and I am unsure wether they will be mixed or not. I do know however that we have a good history of being able to breed previously difficult and sensitive feline species when some other zoos hadn't yet (cheetah, clouded leopard and black-footed cat) so believe they are in very good hands. It would be very nice to have golden cat kittens. :)
    The flamingos were swapped as we had no breeding success with our greater flock and we have a number of zoos that will breed other chileans for us to increase our flock and encourage breeding.

The red titi baby is doing well ( note single baby not twins)

Kwikila the tree kangaroo is doing well. We are still waiting for a male to become available to join her.

We have had a lot if very important births on which the whole team is very proud of and a number of new arrivals including several new species to the collection.

We also have a number of exciting new arrivals planned for the rest of the year so watch this space and keep an eye on our facebook for any big announcements!

11. Mr MonkeyMan

Could i please have a full list of Births at the zoo this year please Al???? Thanks !! :)

12. Javan Rhino

Thanks for the info regarding the golden cats - would be wonderful to see kittens in the future :)

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Young female Gorilla

Is the new female Gorilla from France integrated in the group yet?

Has the male accepted her now and does he mate with her- or is there a problem?

14. Mr MonkeyMan

birth

Belfast Zoo are celebrating the birth of two African Pygmy Hedgehogs named Mickie and Minnie. :)

15. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

A female sun bear named Indera has recently arrived from RSCC.

16. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Indera is male :)

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member