Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Belfast Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Babyrousa, 17 Jan 2020.

1. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first news of both the year and the decade: 0.1 eastern bongo calf named Jumapili (Juma for short) was born to first-time parents, Surali and Tombo. :)

The Zoo | Baby bongo bonanza

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very worrisome news from Belfast recently. The Belfast Zoo could be facing closure under a motion Sinn Féin is preparing to present to the Belfast City Council soon.

According to the articles below the motion states that "the display of caged animals in enclosures is wrong and unethical", "he current treatment of animals for entertainment purposes should have no place in modern Belfast", "Belfast ratepayers subsidize the zoo by approximately £2.5m per year... [which] could be used for far more worthy and much-needed regeneration projects in keeping with the city's modern-day needs", "The SF motion seeks to deal with the Zoo in a transitional manner with the target of transforming the Zoo site into an alternative world-class visitor attraction by 2025" and proposed a five-year transition period a to return animals to their natural habitat, retain an on-site conservation programm for animals suited to the area and ensure all employees are given the opportunity to retain employment within Belfast City Council.

The SDLP has already slammed to proposal as ludicrous, and rightfully so.

From what I read there were some controversial animal deaths and escapes recently at the Belfast Zoo. I don't know how good or bad a zoo it is, but I would be surprised if it were that bad closure would be warranted.

What the motion would contain according to the articles is pure animal rights agenda lunacy. Who ever said we should be optimistic and not be worried about the future of zoos? If people spewing this animal rights nonsense are in a position of power or hold a certain office and function and can try to force zoos out of existence and shove their idiotic opinions down everyone's throats, we have a very serious problem indeed. Zoos and zoo advocates should remain very, very vigilant about views and proposals like this one. They will invigorate the animal rights movement and encourage them to try and score more wins. And then zoos and zoo advocates will slowly but certainly lose the battle for their future.

Belfast Zoo facing closure if motion at Council goes through
    SDLP issues statement on proposal for Belfast Zoo closure
    Belfast Zoo faces closure threat if councillors pass caged animals motion - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
    Sinn Fein slammed over ‘completely ludicrous’ Belfast Zoo closure motion
    Security Check Required (Statement by Belfast City Council member Conor Maskey of Sinn Féin)

Benosaurus likes this.
  3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Zoos which are municipal and/or heavily subsidised will always be more vulnerable to this kind of political attack. It will be very interesting to see how its City Council intends to release all of Belfast's animals into the 'wild'. Their plans and any actions will be very public, and presumably highly scrutinised and criticised. That will be a continuing minefield for them as every individual animal and individual plan is risk assessed under the eyes of the media and the public. It could result in the highest level of media coverage the zoo has ever received... Presumably the Council will have to find a way to force airlines and shippers to move animals, keepers and management to co-operate and foreign Governments to receive them, all potentially against their will. Good luck with that!

Last edited: 1 Feb 2020
    Benosaurus likes this.
  4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad News today to see the council has said the zoo has to reduce its animal Numbers, improve Habitats and Reduce the number of species Kept.

Hopefully other zoo may step in and continue the endangered breeding Programs.

I hope the troup of Lowland Gorillas now come to Chester Zoo - but this was not planned until 2022 So I am told. Hopefully this means they may arrive sooner than planned.

5. Dave Hill

Apparently the council has advised the zoo to reduce its number of species as some of the enclosures are outdated. They recommended to reduce the number of species and then expand and improve the Remaining enclosures

6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These are the animals I think that Belfast Zoo should keep:
    Goodfellow's tree kangaroo; crowned sifaka; eastern pygmy marmoset; black saki; Venezuelan red howler; Francois leaf monkey; moloch gibbon; south-east Asian golden cat; sun bear; spotted-necked otter
    Gentoo penguin; western rockhopper penguin; wattled jacana; green-naped pheasant pigeon; long-tailed black cockatoo; red-tailed black cockatoo; white-browed coucal; southern purple-crested turaco; orange-headed ground thrush
    Eastern box turtle; gold-ringed cat snake
    Lemur leaf frog

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What does Council provide in terms of commitment to their local zoo? I see only lip service to and a lack of determination to walk their talk to change and zoo make-over! It is not since yesterdays that the Belfast Zoo requires facility updates and renovation! The zoo needs investment and no private parties Will get on board if the Municipality does not provide any substantial investment and commitment!

8. Dave Hill

Apparently one of the suggestion put forwards is to concentrate on Endangered British Wildlife Breeding and relocate all large Non native species.

9. Dave Hill

This would be a disaster as Belfast Zoo is a retirement home for Asian Elephants and many of the other large Animals are rescues or ex Circus Animals. These animals would be difficult to be rehoused into other exhibits and would probably end up being euthanised.
    The majority of the species mentioned above would be easier to relocate into the European Breeding Programs.

Ursus, Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which further underlines my conviction that this Municipality is unfit to run the zoo and lacks the managerial competence to lead nor is its vision appealing or even realistic!

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I was aware of a ex circus elephant. But please tell me what other animals are rescues or ex circus, as I believe that the elephant is the only one.

12. Dave Hill

Speaking to a Zookeeper from Belfast who was attending a seminar @ Chester Zoo. Belfast have openly taken in rescue Animals and retired animals from other zoo and circus collections.

We are part of the European breeding programme for Asian elephants. As part of the breeding programme, we have become a sanctuary for elderly, non-breeding females (some with difficult backgrounds).

One of our best known and most loved animals was Tina, the Asian elephant. Tina arrived at Belfast Zoo in 1966 and became known for her mischievous behaviour. She often stole visitors’ umbrellas, handbags and property. Sadly, Tina passed away on 5 November 2017, aged 54.

This is a quote from Belfast zoos own website

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Feb 2020
  13. Dave Hill

When the new zoo was developed the largest and most expensive house was the elephant and giraffe house. It officially opened on 27 May 1988 and this became Tina’s new home.

The decision was made for Belfast Zoo to become a retirement home for these iconic animals.. In February she was joined by Yhetto from Krefeld Zoo, Germany and in April she was joined by ex-circus elephants Jenny and Dhunja from Hannover Zoo. Sadly Jenny passed away in 2013, aged 53.

Tina was pampered at our zoo. In 2010, a mud bath made with 40 tonnes of clay has been added to the elephants’ enclosure, as one of many ways to pamper the four ladies. Tina also received regular pedicures and had her skin is moisturised often.

On Sunday 5 November 2017, Tina collapsed in the early hours of the morning. The zoo team and veterinary staff, along with assistance from Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, worked tirelessly with Tina throughout the morning. However, the extremely difficult decision was made to put Tina to sleep.

Tina was one of the oldest elephants in the European breeding programme.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What source do you have for this suggestion?

15. zoogiraffe

Well you have told me nothing I didn't know about the elephants, I suppose some of them could be claimed to be rescues, but it's very tenuous, it's like Chester claiming they rescued the sun bears when they came from the RSCC, very much a case of clutching at straws.

Pertinax likes this.
  16. zoogiraffe

I will be very interested to hear that as well as I got no suggestion of this happening from the curators at both Chester and Belfast, both of whom I know personally.

Pertinax likes this.
  17. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have just completed their annual stock take:

The Zoo | We've had a busy start to the New Year!

The article mentions that a Goodfellow's tree-kangaroo was born during 2019. I think this is the fourth joey for the zoo, so they are having good success with this species :).

kiang likes this.
  18. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

They have 18 out of 60 councillors. I don’t know where all the other parties stand but I wouldn’t say the zoo is facing closure by any means although the current situation might not be sustainable.

More on the story here:

Sinn Fein hits out at 'silly reaction' to Belfast Zoo motion

A key part of the report:

“...Councillor Maskey referred to other parties portraying the motion as "about locking up the zoo and throwing away the key".

He said the approach was "far, far, far, from it".

He told the chamber: "This was never about closing the zoo, it was about properly investing in the site to ensure we are in keeping with a modern and ethical approach to the city and the animals, and doesn't burden the rate payer."

dublinlion likes this.
  19. Dave Hill

That the Lowland gorillas are planned to be introduced in 2022 a very good source at chester zoo. I never said it would be from Belfast, but if they have to relocate the Gorilla family it may make chester rethink its plans

The Gorillas are planned for after the Grasslands exhibit, which has now started

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Feb 2020
  20. zoogiraffe

No it hasn't still got a lot of animals to move work not likely to start until September, as for gorillas very unlikely to be finished by 2022 due to the delay in grasslands and gorillas cannot start until the giraffes move as they are currently housed where the gorillas are planned to go.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.