Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Visit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jackwow, 23 Sep 2013.

1. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am returning to the UK (Scotland) early October, after a 5 month break in SE Asia, and am planning a few days in Northern Ireland shortly after arriving. Obviously one of the main reasons for the visit is to go to Belfast Zoo which sounds like a pretty good zoo with a decent collection of animals (certainly quite a lot that I have never seen). However I notice that from the beginning of October opening hours are 10am to 4pm so I'm wondering if I can do the place justice in 6 hours? I think probably not?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

6 hours should be fine to see the collection.

3. Jackwow

Thanks Zoogiraffe, that's good news. However I'll be in Belfast for a few days so if I miss anything or my visit is interupted by rain I can always pop back again.

4. Jackwow

Was looking on Tripadvisor and have seen a high proportion of negative reviews about Belfast Zoo. Would any ZooChat members care to give their views on it as I would respect them a lot more than any on Tripadvisor?

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I loved it. The scenery is beautiful - but it`s on one side of a hill which means you have to do some work to see it all. A lot of people on Tripadvisor are complaining about that.
    They have a lot of rare mammals and pretty much all enclosures are good or very good from the animal`s point of view - spacious and very well equipped for the animal`s needs (climbing frames, ropes, lots of hiding space ect.). However, a lot of enclosures are not brand new and lack mock rock or "immersion" decoration/ theming. For me, that`s actually a plus, but I guess a lot of people don`t understand that a gorilla or a sifaka doesn`t need mock rock nor clean glass windows..

6. Jackwow

Thanks for the positive review Yassa. However regarding "clean glass windows" the animals may not need them but the people paying to see the animals, and perchance get a decent photograph of them, do. :)

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Stuff what trip adviser says,Belfast is a cracking zoo,with some of the most friendly keeping staff you could ever hope to meet,its also a major plus that they on the whole enjoy having people that know what they are looking at visit there superb little zoo!

8. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do enjoy clean windows too, but I wouldn`t call a zoo a "depressing place with unhappy animals" just because some glass windows show signs of use and could be cleaner.