Join our zoo community

Belgian zoo guides

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Mr Gharial, 25 Jan 2022.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

UUUUUUUUUGH there were more species here than I thought

Antwerp - Buffalo Savanna
    Antwerp - Buffalo savanna.png
    Decided to take a little break mid-Artis to make a start on Antwerp. usually I would make the guide of the feature animal larger than the others, but there was no more room left. Apparently 24 is VERY close to the max species I can fit on a guide with maps

Last edited: 21 May 2022
  2. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Hippo house aviary
    Antwerp - Hippo house aviary.png
    These two were with some help from the Belgian zoo forums outside of ZC, so the rest is going to have to wait

Keith, twilighter, Valvas and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Rotunda building
    Antwerp - Rotunda building.png
    Note that the American flamingo enclosure is not attached to the building, but they do have indoor holding there

Valvas, JurassicMax, Choco115 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - "Freezeland"
    Antwerp - Vriesland.png

The penguins inhabit a LOT of mini islands so I decided to merge the maps. Macquarie island is the only one that really differs as it's only home to the Kings and Gentoos. Only the Macaronis are "commonly" found on the South American mainland, but even the other two can be seen as vagrants

Also: rare case of a new guide with all-new maps and animals!

Also also: Our first marine species (I think)

Last edited: 5 Aug 2022
    Gil, Valvas, Choco115 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Mini guides (Marsupial house and Reptile house winter garden)
    Antwerp - Mini guides.png
    That's most of the smaller guides finished, the rest will be out at a slightly slower pace

Gil, twilighter, Valvas and 4 others like this.
  6. Valvas

Valvas Active Member 5+ year member

Very nice maps! I'm sorry to say this, but I see you have made a little mistake on the map for the reptile house winter garden, as it houses Gouldian finch instead of Java sparrow (Antwerp Zoo doesn't have the latter species at all).

Mr Gharial likes this.
  7. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Mini guides.png

Well, that's an embarrassing second time of making this kind of mistake

8. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Historical parrot aviaries
    Antwerp - Parrot aviaries.png

It's been a long time since there's been this many new maps needed for a guide (let alone these super small ones). Only the California quail had a pre-existing map

The great ape house and small monkey house will be out relatively soon, but the Bird house is large, complicated, and full of new species. It will require at least 9 different guides

9. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Great ape house
    Antwerp - Great ape house.png
    Thanks to Valvas to helping me with all of these, but an extra thanks to KevinB who provided me with a good enough Eastern lowland gorilla photo to use, since those are hard to come by,

Also: technically most of the Chimps at Antwerp don't have a subspecies status, but I went with the Central Common since they have at least one of those

10. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

On my last visit, the brown rats and their information sign were no longer present.
    Several other exhibits were empty, but I cannot say for sure which ones, although I suspect that number 8 on your guide was empty, as the anacondas were housed in an enclosure on the other side of the corridor.

11. Mr Gharial

True. On my last visit (which was around March, I think) almost all the terrariums were different. 2-5 were all switched around and the green iguanas, giant plated lizards and chinese water dragons were not to be seen.

The greenhouse also holds pond sliders, not red-eared sliders. And has Livinstone's turacos. Hadada ibis and African Sacred ibis are present in the Arch aviary instead of North African and neither bishop species could be found in the hall. In all honestly, these guides will rarely be accurate for long, partially because I don't want to post an updated version every other day.

Unless there's any colossal changes to the whole zoo's collections, I probably won't update it. Blijdorp has gotten that treatment somewhere this year, and GaiaZOO is really due one if we only had someone who went there with any regularity (those have been horribly wrong since the very start).

This is exactly the reason I made this post:

In the DZG thread, so people can get the most updated version (and even those won't be 100% accurate). Thanks for the update! Though I probably won't change them right now, I'd prefer to get through all of Belgium before starting with posting x-ly updates of the guides.

Side note: What other Belgian zoos should I be covering after the absolute nightmares of Antwerp's bird house and Pairi Daiza are finished? I know that Monde Sauvage has a decent aviary that could use one, but other than that I have no further image of what the Belgian zoos look like

12. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the private message tip, I didn't see it immediately on first sight.

I fully understand that such beautiful guides cannot just be changed, something that is possible with the lists I always make.
    I just wanted to give an update of the situation, and it may be a correction for other readers.

Monde Sauvage has not 1 but 2 aviaries that are not difficult to make. In one (left) aviary live, among others, flamingos, sacred ibises, cattle egrets and storks, while the other one houses a.o. flamingos and scarlet ibises. I can give you the most up-to-date information about these aviaries via private message, just give me a call if you need the information.
    In (Le) Monde Sauvage there is also a whole section with birds of prey aviaries, but I can't give as accurate information about these and they are much more difficult to make.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  13. Mr Gharial

Changing the guides is actually relatively easy, since I already have a lot of species' maps (and about 2000 different animal pictures)

Ursus likes this.
  14. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

R.I.P either the google drive storage or your PC's storage

15. Mr Gharial

I started putting them all in a database, I've finished mammals and I'm not even a quarter through birds and I've already used 30GB

We're 21 famillies into birds (7 of them finished) and we're not even close to completion

So yeah, rip indeed

16. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Small Monkey house
    Antwerp - Small monkey house.png
    Welp, on to a 2 month hiatus bc I'll be making the bird house guides for a long while and I want them out in one message

17. Mr Gharial

Antwerp - Bird house (Indoor):
    So, the bird house was absolutely huge and I can barely believe I managed to make it this quickly. The layout is a little bit confusing, especially with the smaller aviaries:

Layout:
    Antwerp - Bird house layout.png

Mini-aviaries:
    Antwerp - Bird house (D 1-3 and V 1-3).png

Enclosure 1 & 3 (West African and South American):
    Antwerp - Bird house (enclosure 1 and 3).png

Enclosure 2 (African):
    Antwerp - Bird house (enclosure 2).png

Enclosure 4 (Asian):
    Antwerp - Bird house (enclosure 4).png

Enclosure 5 (Australian):
    Antwerp - Bird house (enclosure 5).png

Uuuuuugh, these were difficult. The African enclosure had some of the most annoying and hyperspecific distribution maps I've ever seen! The Asian enclosure required two new hyper-specific maps to be made, meaning I had to completely trace the Philippines. There were also a lot of Indonesian birds, which means colouring in the islands AND having to rotate the source map, which uses a different world map. That problem was even worse with the Australian enclosure.

I know that the mini-aviaries guide looks confusing, but this really was the best way to do it. Here's the proper species list so you can see how it's supposed to work:
    V1:
    Red-billed leiothrix
    Red-whiskered bulbul
    Asian blue quail

V2:
    Turquoise tanager

V3:
    Goldie's lorikeet

D1:
    Asian blue quail
    Red avadavat

D2:
    Turquoise tanager
    Barred buttonquail

D3:
    Barred buttonquail
    Blue dacnis

As you can see, a lot of duplicate species here, which is why I used the dotted lines, to signify that one species is held in two enclosures

This is definitely the new record holder for most new maps in one guide (To be fair, this is also the new record holder for most species in "one" guide). The outside aviaries should be out somewhere next week!

Last edited: 8 Sep 2022
  18. Mr Gharial

HOOOOO BOIIIII this one was annoying.

Antwerp - Bird house (Outdoor)

AA:
    Antwerp - Bird house (AA).png

BB:
    Antwerp - Bird house (BB).png

CC:
    Antwerp - Bird house (CC).png

A-H:
    Antwerp - Bird house (A-H).png
    (Guess what the colour schemes are from)

Man, the small outdoor aviaries were difficult to make a layout for. This guide actually includes some of the smallest maps ever. Not only with the Liocichla having a very small distribution map (only being beaten by the Grey-breasted parakeet and Blue-crowned laughnigthrush), but also the layout style making some of the maps only 2.5 cm (previous smallest maps in Pakawi were 3 cm)

That should conclude Antwerp, meaning I won't be making another Belgian guide in a little while. I'm going to make guides for Avifauna first, as I made a species list during my visit there, as well as with the help of Rick04 on Laafsekikkers (a Belgian-Dutch zoo website). After that I'm making Wildlands (Which I'm terrified of) with help of Joost, then Pairi Daiza (which I'm especially terrified of) possibly with help of KevinB, and hopefully Overloon (Which I've never visited and am therefore slightly terrified of) with help of 1SquirrelMonkey.

A huge thanks to Valvas for all the help with Antwerp! And also thanks to KevinB for providing a layout and some mild corrections for the bird house, as well as the pictures of the exhibits. You guys really are amazing!

Last edited: 10 Sep 2022
    Keith, Valvas and KevinB like this.
  19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great work, much appreciated. And your thanks are certainly appreciated, but I was glad to help you out.

I will be going to Pairi Daiza again soon, are there any specific areas you would like lists for? I could try to get pictures of signage and make some observations for those.

At least as long as you don't ask me to do this for the Nautilus aquarium or the Mersus Emergo.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  20. Valvas

Valvas Active Member 5+ year member

Thanks a lot! It was a pleasure to help you with the Antwerp Zoo maps. The guides have become great.

Mr Gharial likes this.