Join our zoo community

Belgian zoo guides

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Mr Gharial, 25 Jan 2022.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

With some quick help from KevinB I've started working on PD early, I haven't heard from Squirrelmonkey for Overloon, and Joost is currently working on the Wildlands list. I was right to fear Pairi Daiza, as I need a total of 95 new maps. Most of them are all-new: like the first guide I made

Pairi Daiza - Tamberma village
    Pairi Daiza - Tamberma.png
    I was very happy to finally create a guide with the animal highest on my bucket list

PD's guides will be coming out steadily for now, but as soon as I get updated on Wildlands or Overloon I'm moving back to the Dutch zoo guides to finish those first

Last edited: 18 Sep 2022
    twilighter, Choco115 and KevinB like this.
  2. Mr Gharial

Can I just point out how amazingly satisfying it is that every new zoo perfectly starts on a new page somehow?

Page 1 - Planckendael
    Page 2 - Pakawi park
    Page 3 - Antwerp
    And now page 4 - Pairi Daiza

I suspect PD will put it out of line and Monde Sauvage will have to share the page, but this is very pleasing to my Autism

3. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Chinese courtyard
    Pairi Daiza - Chinese courtyard.png

And there's my second bucket list animal! Of course I had to make this one next.

Edit: I just noticed I forgot to add the separation line between the koi pond and Chinese alligator, but I can't change it before the editing time runs out. That's obviously supposed to be there

Last edited: 19 Sep 2022
  4. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - The guide the requires an apology... (Mini guides - South American riverbank & Miscellaneous birds of prey)
    Pairi Daiza - End my suffering.png

I'm... Sorry.

I really am.

I've been able to keep it together for some of the global species, but these two? Nope. There's a reason I left the black kite map highly inaccurate for so long. I can't do it anymore, I need to seriously set my limits on these species.

It's impossible to find maps in the same style as I use them for these two and I really can't bend another map into form. I was barely able to do the Shelduck and Ural owl. No more worldwide species in zoos.

(This breakdown is only 25% real, but I'm also seriously not tracing all of that. The five leftover aviaries were supposed to be part of a large birds-of-prey guide but I split it into three. These aviaries (all separate) ended up in one of the mini guides together with the South American enclosure)

(I wanted to just leave the Snowy owl and Eurasian hobby falcon out of the guides, but the whole point of the guides is listing enclosures that could be missed by someone new to the zoo, so I decided to keep them in, but without the maps.)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2022
    twilighter, Choco115 and KevinB like this.
  5. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Raptor village
    Pairi Daiza - Raptor village.png
    Didn't include the Golden eagle map for the same reasons as last time. I'm noticing that PD doesn't have a lot of Subspecie-cific animals.

Also: finally got to use the New World vulture maps that I made somewhere last year

Choco115 and KevinB like this.
  6. Mr Gharial

With help of news articles and folders I was able to trace the maps for Bush, Desert and Mangrove. Other pictures were provided by Ricky Hans and MennoPebesma for the layouts of Pakawi's tropical hall and the inside area of Aquazoo. However, I've now come at a little bit of a problem with Pairi Daiza's Oasis.

With a picture of the fire escape route in Oasis, I've been able to start tracing a map the greenhouse. But the paths are barely distinguishable from the water and the rocks. So I was wondering if anyone either had a better map, or has an existant coloured map of the greenhouse

7. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - St Bernard aviary
    Pairi Daiza - St Bernard aviary.png

This aviary doesn't have a real name. But since I really want guides to have a name, I named it after the St Bernard tower next to it

KevinB likes this.
  8. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have sent a slightly better quality version of the fire escape map, but that is about it. To my knowledge there are no other public maps of the Oasis available, either current of historic.

I have also sent you a version on which I wrote down on the fire escape map where the main areas and exhibits are. But I'm afraid that is all I can do.

Also, I have noticed when zooming on the fire escape map that it isn't actually very recent, some of the exhibits are still labeled with their old inhabitants or even not there.

So I'm not totally sure whether it will be possible to make a map as detailed as those for Burgers' Zoo.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2022
    Mr Gharial likes this.
  9. Mr Gharial

Alright, I'm going to take a break from Pairi, as I got messages back from people helping me with Wildlands AND Overloon. So I'll be finishing those first.

In the meantime: I'm just going to test something...

St Bernard aviary: Hotlinked
    [​IMG]

Edit: Well, that didn't work. I was hoping I could increase the image quality so people could download full-quality images without having to email me. Oh well...

10. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Southern cape walkthrough
    Pairi Daiza - Southern cape.png

11. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Cathedral aviary
    Pairi Daiza - Cathedral aviary.png

Choco115, Valvas and KevinB like this.
  12. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Southern cape aviary
    Pairi Daiza - Southern cape aviary.png

13. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Tropicalia

Free-roamers:
    Pairi Daiza - Tropicalia (Free-roamers).png

Enclosure:
    Pairi Daiza - Tropicalia (Enclosure).png

Bat hall:
    Pairi Daiza - Tropicalia (Bat hall).png

14. Mr Gharial

And in today's episode of "Whoops, I couldn't fit the name on the page because there's so many species and I regret ever starting this" : The path of healing

Pairi Daiza - Path of healing.png

Slyhk, Choco115, Valvas and 2 others like this.
  15. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - African stilt village and Monkey islands
    Pairi Daiza - Mini guides.png

That only leaves Oasis, which has a LOT of species. Might end up being another multi-parter.

After that I'm going to work on Monde Sauvage guides with the help of Tiger. Then, I'm going to cry in a corner until I manage to find some sort of army to storm the Orchideeënhoeve and find every free-roamer there, since they refuse to properly sign anything

Choco115, Valvas and JurassicMax like this.
  16. Mr Gharial

Alright then, if I do this correctly and nobody interrupts I should be able to make this work.

Oasis will be split into three parts, lined out with this map:
    Oasis layout.png

Almostall of the Oasis animals are in Separate exhibits. Exceptions being the Bear cuscus and Chevrotain in the same exhibit, and the Koi, goldfish and slider sharing the same areas in the water

Last edited: 6 Jan 2023
  17. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (part 1)
    Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (1).png
    (The Blue-and-Yellow macaws are occasionally allowed to free-roam, but not always)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2023
    Choco115, JurassicMax and KevinB like this.
  18. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (part 2)
    Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (2).png

19. Mr Gharial

Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (part 3)
    Pairi Daiza - Oasis greenhouse (3).png

20. Mr Gharial

Now if I planned this out correctly...