Join our zoo community

Belo Horizonte Zoo Belo Horizonte zoo news

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 2 Dec 2020.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

So, I'm creating this thread for us to share and discuss about what's going on at Belo Horizonte zoo in general. There are already two threads for the news about the zoo's gorillas, and one for the species list, but we still didn't have one for the general discussion itself.

Gonna start it with the most recent animal adition to the institution, a male jaguar that came from Itaipu's biological refuge Bela Vista, in southern Brazil. Belo Horizonte was holding a single female of the species, "Janes", since last june, due to the death of male "Jonas", in his 20's.

The institution hopes to achieve reproduction with these individuals, once it was never possible to do so with the previous couple, wich used to fight a lot, and was living totally separated in the last years. Here's a picture taken by the zoo's director of the new boy: onça pytu.png
    Picture: Humberto Mello / disclosure

FelipeDBKO and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Estimado David, any idea how old both individuals are?

FYI: I think it is a good thing to have a young pair of jaguars on exhibit!

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  3. David Matos Mendes

Hi! :) Well, the male is one and a half year old, and I found out the female is 17... I honestly thought she was younger. She's been living at the zoo at least since my first visit to the place, (around 2004/2005) so I should have considered that.
    Zoo's director told me the breeding between this couple of animals need to be authorized by the country's responsible institutions, as most of the species; but said the elderliness of the female wouldn't be a problem, wich I didn't comprehend very well, once the male should be at least 3 yrs old to reach the maturity, and this way the female would be 18 or something... I gotta talk personally to someone from the zoo's crew the next time I go there, so I can better understand their actual plans for these two critters.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Your zoo director needs his head examined there: jaguar females will not breed very much beyond their 10's. At 17 the resident female is post reproductive, tell him that or the whole project will be a darn failure.

5. David Matos Mendes

I tend to think he missunderstood my questions. It's the only explanation I can find for this situation... The zoo's director is surely an extremely capable, inteligent and dedicated person, as well as every people from the zoo's staff that I know. First thing I realized when I discovered the female's age was that an old individual like this one wouldn't reproduce (she's actually older than the life expectancy for the species). When I have the chance, I'm gonna be asking him or anyone else from the zoo's crew to explain me better this situation and what they're thinking of doing... It might be something related to bringing another female in the future; that's the only reasonable possibility.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Allright. The point is: effective engagement on the subject in hand.

What is next (in terms of new zoo news)?
    (Looking forward to that)

7. David Matos Mendes

Not sure if I understand what you mean here. I was just explaining what I thought might have happened to generate this doubt, and I wanted to let it clear that the zoo's crew is nothing near inconsequential or something like that . Anyway, I'm looking forward to know what will follow at the institution for now, especially about in this case of the jaguars.

8. Kifaru Bwana

I mean talk to the zoo crew what their plans are with the jaguars or anything else notable for zoo news for that matter. Hope that clears it up for you!

9. David Matos Mendes

I get it. Sure, I'll be posting here more news about this issue and all the other works being developed at the zoo :).

10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

This is excellent news ! Great to hear that they have had success so soon with their black lion tamarins.

Stay tuned for more updates from Belo Horizonte as there is a very special one coming up soon ;)

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

13. David Matos Mendes

Awesome news! Not even I knew about that yet :D.
    Well, the tamarin exhibits at BH are some of the best I have seen; besides being considerably big, they're located inside a fragment of "mata atlântica" in the institution, so it makes sense they keep having success with them, specially these new black individuals. Really great news.
    I already wonder what's about to come :):):) Hope everything goes right with this and looking forward!

Last edited: 27 Feb 2021
    WhistlingKite24 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

How many black lion tamarins does Belo Horizonte has on exhibit?
    Status of the species in other zoos in Brasil?

15. David Matos Mendes

BH kept only these first-time parents on exhibit, so now there are four.

In the country, I remember seeing black lion tamarins in São Paulo and Brasília, and I know they are also kept in Rio de janeiro and Pomerode zoo. Maybe Sapucaia and Curitiba also holds them, but I'm not completely sure.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2021
  16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

@David Matos Mendes is right, it was only the breeding pair at BH which have now successfully bred.

With regards to other zoos that hold BLT they are currently held both on display and off-show (at the main facility and at their private breeding center at CECFAU) at the São Paulo zoo which has always held the species and has had decent breeding success.

There are / were a pair at Brasilia zoo in the federal district / capital and there will hopefully be BLT held at Guarulhos zoo in the future.

They were held historically at the Rio zoo but I dont know about their current status, however, they are definitely kept and bred at the Rio primate center.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Can't give too much away but watch this space as there is a really exciting development coming to BH zoo.

18. David Matos Mendes

Oh, Now I'm even more anxious! Hope it happens soon. I know you can't say, but my bet is that some flaviceps and auritas are on their way to "Minas city" :):):).

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Flaviceps definitely not but Aurita could be in the near future.

20. David Matos Mendes

Forgot to add it here: A week ago, male jaguar "Pytu" was moved from quarantine to one of the zoo's jaguar exhibit. The crew hopes he can get used to the elderly female "Janis" by visual contact, so that they can live together. Check out a little video of him exploring the new exhibit, recorded by the zoo's director:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CMhmyMJlCFh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Kifaru Bwana likes this.