Join our zoo community

Belo Horizonte Zoo Belo Horizonte Zoo, species list

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 8 Aug 2020.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I also found two other videos on Youtube which I'd like to share the links of, they are both from 1983.

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Wow, man how did you find this? I've been looking for old BH zoo videos since I understand myself as a person, and the oldest I could find were videos from 2001, and I have a footage from the zoo in 2000, wich was filmed by my mom. My oldest actual memories from the zoo are from Idi amin in his exhibit in 2005 or something, when his exhibit was already renovated. I saw many pictures of his old enclosure, but had never seen them in videos.Thanks for sharing all these videos, they're indeed a rarity.

3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I just searched "zoológico (insert random year here)". And you're welcome. The zoo I've been trying to gather information about the most is the Rio de Janeiro one, as it could be considered my home zoo.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with that statement @David Matos Mendes

5. David Matos Mendes

Well, good strategy :D:D. You could indeed find some great content.
    The baby chimp that appears in that cage is "Doroteia", and the adult individual is her mother, "Agda". We can also see an asian elephant in one of them, wich is "Margarete", who died in 1985, if I'm not wrong. Got surprised by the baboons though; didn't know they were ever kept at BH.

6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I do believe the elephant shown in the video is Margarete as well, since I don't believe any other Asian elephants have lived at the Belo Horizonte zoo. I also agree with you that Dorotéia could be the chimp infant shown in the video.

7. David Matos Mendes

Yes, "Doro" and "Lunga" were the only chimps to be ever born there ("Lunga" was born in 2002) so it could only be her. Margarete was surely the only asian ellie to be ever kept there.
    I try to search as much as I can about all the zoos in the country, once this is also very useful to better understand the conservation works developed nowadays in the entire nation; but I have to admit that I tend to search more about BH zoo, also for being my home zoo. I've been focusing more in the present of the institution and it's programs, so there was a relatively long time I didn't find historical archives from it, at least not as good and clear as these ones you shared. I'm actually gonna send them to some people of the zoo's crew. I'm sure they will like to recall their intern times at the institution.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Quick correction: the only gorilla I was able to see was probably one of the adult females.

9. David Matos Mendes

Well, maybe you saw one of the babies. The oldest male infants, Sawidi and Jahari are now with the same size of their mothers :D:D
    Anyway, have you taken pictures of the individual? Maybe I can identify it for you.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I have a picture of it, but it's on my mom's camera.

11. David Matos Mendes

Well, if you want, send it to me after, so that I can identify it for you.

By the way, now that we have many new galleries for brazilian zoos that you requested to add, it would be nice if you added pictures of the ones you have already been to. I already did it for Ubatuba aquarium.

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I'd definitely send it to you, just to need to found the memory card. I visited most of those zoos more than three years ago, so I don't think it's worth it to post pictures of them. I'll probably post some photos of the Aparecida aquarium and the Volta Redonda zoo in the future.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

When I visited the zoo, there were some hairy dwarf porcupines on display. They haven't been added to the list yet, as I can see. I remember seeing signs saying that they were Brazilian and orange (I don't quite remember if the sign said "orange" or "orange-spined") hairy dwarf porcupines

14. David Matos Mendes

There are porcupines listed here (brazilian porcupines) and I'm pretty sure the institution keeps this species. In the picture above, that I took in my last visit, it's possible to see their scientific name.

DSCN3582_Moment.jpg

[​IMG]

I never actually realized if the zoo keeps the dwarf porcupines too... Once they have many porcupine exhibits, they could be doing so, and if they do, their sign is identified with the same brazilian name as the brazilian porcupines (ouriço cacheiro). In my next visit, I'll take a look at the scientific names to see if there's anything different from coendou prehensilis

Last edited: 30 Dec 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Brazilian porcupines are prehensile-tailed porcupines, not hairy dwarf as I thought, my mistake. However, in one of the porcupine exhibits, they had a sign saying the animals kept in the enclosure were orange-spined hairy dwarf ones (the names in Portuguese for all the porcupines in all exhibits were the same: "ouriço cacheiro", but the English denominations were different). In the other two (or three) exhibits, the English names said the animals kept in those were Brazilian ones.

16. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, that's what I thought. All the signs list "ouriço cacheiro", because it's the only name in portuguese for all the species of south american porcupines, but one of the four porcupine exhibits could be really holding a hairy dwarf or a orange spined individual indeed. As I said, gonna take a look at it in my next visit.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Quick correction: the glossy starling(s) kept at the zoo are actually purple ones, instead of great blue-eared.

18. David Matos Mendes

The zoo's old species app confirms your affirmation. My mistake. It's indeed Lamprotornis purpureus instead of Lamprotornis chalybaeus. Many animal names in portuguese makes me confused, due to sometimes having the same name for two or more different species (it's the case of these starlings, wich we call both species "Melro metálico", and also the prehensile tailed porcupine...) In these cases, we gotta look for the scientific name, indeed.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. David Matos Mendes

The zoo has recently added to exhibit an individual of cockatoo that seems pretty much like Cacatua tenuirostris. There was no ID sign yet and I didn't take my camera in the last visit, so I'm gonna confirm the species next time I put my feet in there.

20. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Could it be a little corella? I remember seeing one during my visit. I even have a picture.