Join our zoo community

Beluga-release ?

Discussion in 'Iceland' started by vogelcommando, 21 Dec 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Have the beluga's been released or have the Iceland government refused ?

BennettL

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Two beluga whales, Little Grey and Little White, will be transported from China to Iceland this spring. Their current home is an aquarium in China and they will be heading to the Westman Islands in South Iceland and the world's first open water sanctuary for beluga whales:
    Belugas on Board: Plane to Transport Whales to Iceland Sanctuary

Mai Thai and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

6. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Keiikoa

Keiikoa Member 5+ year member

From what i've been hearing, The belugas wont be released. They will just live in the sanctuary where they can live more natural lives.

8. vogelcommando

9. vogelcommando

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

UK TV channel ITV is showing a two-part documentary about the beluga project on 12 and 13 October at 9pm. It is massively mis-titled 'John Bishop's Great Whale Rescue', suggesting that a British comedian was somehow involved in the arrangements :rolleyes:

13. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you have since viewed the programmes you will realise that John Bishop had quite an involvement throughout much of this project. While I am not particularly drawn to his comedy, he is one of the U.K.'s leading comedians, and a very good front-person for this documentary. I am sure that without his input this subject would not have made the prime-time slot on ITV. Whatever ones views are on the subject, this is a valuable and healthy reminder of how complex it is, and how well-planned it needs to be, to successfully partially "re-wild" animals from a captive situation. Some basic questions that the programmes did not answer was why, and how, this particular pair of animal was selected, and what the long-term plans of those involved is.

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, I did watch mainly because of my interest in Iceland. I do realise that programmes like this need an added 'attraction' but his role was very minor and I doubt whether anyone thought 'let's ask John Bishop' when problems arose during what must have been extensive planning. My criticism was aimed at the programme's title. It was interesting, nevertheless.

15. Keiikoa

Keiikoa Member 5+ year member

Belugas is doing well! they have been introduced to the open water sanctuary a month or so around but is back inside temporarily because of the harsh winter which they haven't gotten adapted to quite yet..

Gigit likes this.
  16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

According to Reykjavik Grapevine (grapevine.is) on 22 April 2022, the whales were moved to an open water area after about 2 years in the sanctuary, but that seemed to overwhelm Little White. So renovations to the bay have begun to help them adjust and reacclimatise to their natural environment. They will go into a small pool, a transitional area between the indoor pool and the bay that will help them get used to the wind, the rain, the birds, everything they have not experienced since they were probably two years old.
    'The hope is that this project can become a model for rehoming the estimated 3000 cetaceans currently in captivity.'