Join our zoo community

Best animal at a small private Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Waddi, 23 Nov 2009.

1. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

I dont know if that title makes sense, but whats the best animal you have seen when visiting a small/private Zoo.

Mine was Fossa(Cryptoprocta ferox) at Lakeland Wildlife Oasis

Working at South lakes in Cumbria, but originating from Merseyside, meant a lot of trips up and down the M6, usually stopping off at Blackpool Zoo, which is probably one of my favourite collections. one day we discovered Lakeland, thanks to the pre-programmed points of interest on my new sat nav. so we took a little de-tour and what a suprise to find the only Fossa's on public display in the north of England (correct me if I'm wrong please). so under advertised, its wrong.

So what been your best "find"?

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Not so much a "find" but the sun bears and other at the RSCC are great. Really surprised to see animals like that in a small zoo.

3. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, Black-footed Cats at Riverbanks Zoo, Siamangs at Safari Niagara, Wattled Jacana at Bird Kingdom (first facility in NA to successfully breed them).

4. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I read the thread's title I immediately thought the fossa at Lakeland too, only to find it was the original suggestion ;)
    As an alternative in north-west England, I would suggest the Malagasy fish collection at Bolton Museum aquarium, where I saw the first lamena and pin-striped damba imported into the UK (several years ago now) and the reptiles at Manchester Museum. But they don't quite qualify as they are owned and run by Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council and Manchester University, which are public bodies :( on the other hand they both free entry :)

Alan

6. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I went to Lakeland Oasis a few years ago the fossas had produced four cubs. Fossas are appearing in more collections nowadays but don't seem to be breeding well in the UK.

Lakeland Oasis also had elephant shrews, horseshoe crabs and a Parson's chameleon, all relatively unusual species. It was up for sale last year, does anyone know if it has changed hands, or what the future holds?

I went to Folly Farm earlier this year and was amazed to see Arabian oryx.

7. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I notice that Arabian oryx are not mentioned on Folly Farm's website nor ISIS. Have they gone?

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Arabian Oryx seems to have recently experienced a remarkable 'crash' from its previous 'extreme rarity' status in zoos since numbers have increased.

9. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think they've gone from Folly farm, don't remember seeing them earlier this year.

10. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Scottish Wild Cat at Birmingham Nature Center now that was a surprise